Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PS3 or Xbox 360?...

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2008, 10:27 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PS3 or Xbox 360?...

I'm looking to get either one of these consoles. Will be using it with a 32" HD TV, so I want something which can output in HD res which both can.

PS3 has a Blueray drive which is a slight plus, but on the other hand I'll probably just get a stand-alone Blueray player at some point.

Has anyone used both consoles? Is the PS3 considerably better in terms of power and graphics?
Old 20 February 2008, 10:28 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

They're both much of a muchness tbh

I'd go for a 360 personally, so many more games out.
Old 20 February 2008, 10:31 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

That's rubbish, there isn't loads of extra games just the odd game like Forza (way overrated IMO) and crap like Halo.

Graphically they are the same, PS3 is much quieter and more reliable than the 360 plus it is a very good BR player and free to get online quickly.

360 is very good if you like playing online.

I have both, had the 360 for a year and the PS3 for 3 months, but dont touch either these days as I'm too busy, will rectify that soon though.
Old 20 February 2008, 10:32 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

You should buy whichever your mates have if they are into gaming.
Old 20 February 2008, 10:50 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info guys

I was under the impression the PS3 was way ahead of the 360 in terms of graphics, but sounds like thats not the case then.

I know more people with a 360, so might be most sensible to go for one of them I suppose. Will have to have a go on both before deciding I think!
Old 20 February 2008, 10:50 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
I'm looking to get either one of these consoles. Will be using it with a 32" HD TV, so I want something which can output in HD res which both can.

PS3 has a Blueray drive which is a slight plus, but on the other hand I'll probably just get a stand-alone Blueray player at some point.

Has anyone used both consoles? Is the PS3 considerably better in terms of power and graphics?
That thread about 5 down from this was getting a bit old so well done on the new one
Old 20 February 2008, 11:01 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

I've just clocked the other one

Trending Topics

Old 21 February 2008, 12:45 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Petem95
I've just clocked the other one
Best advice in the previous thread and pointed out in here, get what most of your friends have, as playing online with mates is much more fun.
Old 21 February 2008, 07:13 AM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
That's rubbish, there isn't loads of extra games just the odd game like Forza (way overrated IMO) and crap like Halo.

Graphically they are the same, PS3 is much quieter and more reliable than the 360 plus it is a very good BR player and free to get online quickly.

360 is very good if you like playing online.

I have both, had the 360 for a year and the PS3 for 3 months, but dont touch either these days as I'm too busy, will rectify that soon though.
Rubbish?

The following is taken from a developers perspective

Game Selection: The XBOX 360 has a huge head start here. 1 year is an eternity in gaming. Almost all multi-platform developers have made the XBOX 360 their primary platform due to timing of release-to-market, this means the games will look and perform better on the 360. The PS3 versions will be ports of the 360 versions. (The opposite was true for XBOX 1 vs. PS2). The XBOX 360 is also far faster to develop for due to better development tools (massively popular Visual Studio .NET vs. proprietary, buggy PS3 compiler and debugger), better documentation, and easier architecture (3 general purpose CPU’s vs. 8 specialized processors that require DMA). Timing has also caused all next-gen middleware developers to make XBOX 360 their primary platform, and they will ‘add ps3 support’ as needed. This support will probably be inferior to the XBOX 360’s due to manpower and more importantly, demand. It’s this catch-22 now that will continue to drive the 360 forward and hold PS3 back.
The other obvious point here is that right now the Xbox360 already has a very impressive line-up of titles on store shelves; the ps3 just launched, and has virtually nothing of interest. Also, many 360 games are already discounted. PS3 games are all full price since it just launched.

I never said more exclusives, more games in general

Just stating facts here.
Old 21 February 2008, 09:55 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

PS3
Old 21 February 2008, 10:13 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by CooperS
Rubbish?

The following is taken from a developers perspective

Game Selection: The XBOX 360 has a huge head start here. 1 year is an eternity in gaming. Almost all multi-platform developers have made the XBOX 360 their primary platform due to timing of release-to-market, this means the games will look and perform better on the 360. The PS3 versions will be ports of the 360 versions. (The opposite was true for XBOX 1 vs. PS2). The XBOX 360 is also far faster to develop for due to better development tools (massively popular Visual Studio .NET vs. proprietary, buggy PS3 compiler and debugger), better documentation, and easier architecture (3 general purpose CPU’s vs. 8 specialized processors that require DMA). Timing has also caused all next-gen middleware developers to make XBOX 360 their primary platform, and they will ‘add ps3 support’ as needed. This support will probably be inferior to the XBOX 360’s due to manpower and more importantly, demand. It’s this catch-22 now that will continue to drive the 360 forward and hold PS3 back.
The other obvious point here is that right now the Xbox360 already has a very impressive line-up of titles on store shelves; the ps3 just launched, and has virtually nothing of interest. Also, many 360 games are already discounted. PS3 games are all full price since it just launched.

I never said more exclusives, more games in general

Just stating facts here.
We hear this again and again, "360 has more games". So what? Like most consoles, most of the games are sh!te. The amount of killer games on 360 (and that is down to personal opinion) is disproportionate to the amount of time it has been out, it really should have more, but it simply doesn't.

Also, as has been proved more times than I care to mention, how good it is to develop for, or how woo the hardware is is utterly irrelevant. If the market becomes mainly PS3 (and there is reasonable evidence to suggest that it will) then effort will shift to that. When that happens, the money to be made will far outweigh the technical difficulties of coding for that platform.

You only have to look at VHS vs Betamax, Windows vs Mac, HD DVD vd Blu-Ray to see that the 'better' technology counts for jack.

The 360 has been a huge success for MS, and rightly so, but it could have been much better had they not delivered such a crap piece of hardware (and despite how good you think it is technically, the failure rate far outweighs that).

Both companies will have learned alot from each other this time round, Sony that they need to offer a better online service (which, they may have done already if they ever get it going) and MS need to offer quality kit like an electronics giant like Sony does.

In the end, it's a win for all us gamers

Geezer
Old 21 February 2008, 10:22 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
The 360 has been a huge success for MS, and rightly so, but it could have been much better had they not delivered such a crap piece of hardware (and despite how good you think it is technically, the failure rate far outweighs that).

Both companies will have learned alot from each other this time round, Sony that they need to offer a better online service (which, they may have done already if they ever get it going) and MS need to offer quality kit like an electronics giant like Sony does.
Geezer
It's funny how people seem to forget the ps2 was shipped with defective dvd drives, albeit not as bigger problem as the 360 failure but it was still an issue, and then there was the issue with 3million laptop batteries which were recalled due to catching fire.

Nobodies perfect
Old 21 February 2008, 10:25 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Anybody else sick of the fanboy rants?
Old 21 February 2008, 10:27 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Any threads with the words PS3 or 360 in the topic should be banned
Old 21 February 2008, 10:30 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob269
Any threads with the words PS3 or 360 in the topic should be banned
Can we just make one of the recent threads a sticky and leave it there. People should just try both machines and then check out the reviews for the titles that interest them and then buy the one which appeals most. Not a difficult thing to do for an adult I'd have thought. Mind if we ban these threads you may find a few people start comparing ***** size to pass the day.
Old 21 February 2008, 10:36 AM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

I've got both, so no fanboy here
Old 21 February 2008, 10:42 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by bob269
It's funny how people seem to forget the ps2 was shipped with defective dvd drives, albeit not as bigger problem as the 360 failure but it was still an issue, and then there was the issue with 3million laptop batteries which were recalled due to catching fire.

Nobodies perfect
That's true, but the amount of different products that Sony makes, and the sheer number of units they produce, it's hardly a surprise is it? How much hardware do MS make?

Percentage wise, I would say Sony have the upper hand here!

I think MS and Sony should join forces, now that would be a kick *** machine!

Geezer
Old 21 February 2008, 11:26 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

I have a X360 Pro for sale, as new, 2 controlllers and 4 games.

More details are in the For Sale section.
Old 21 February 2008, 11:34 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Can we just make one of the recent threads a sticky and leave it there. People should just try both machines and then check out the reviews for the titles that interest them and then buy the one which appeals most. Not a difficult thing to do for an adult I'd have thought. Mind if we ban these threads you may find a few people start comparing ***** size to pass the day.
I'll keep out of that one, mines tiny
Old 24 February 2008, 11:28 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

It always makes me laugh that bob269 brings the PS2 (!!!) into any PS3 vs 360 thread.

Geezer sums up my response perfectly for you Cooper.

Last edited by Dream Weaver; 25 February 2008 at 12:53 AM.
Old 25 February 2008, 12:42 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
It always makes me laugh that bob269 brings the PS2 (!!!) into any PS3 vs 360 thread.

Geezer somes up my response perfectly for you Cooper.
Just to remind people that Sony are far from perfect
Old 25 February 2008, 03:41 AM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

had a 360 for 2 years now just replaced it with an elite 360 :P much more reliable and really quiet compared to old one. as for killer games

call of duty 4
halo 3
r6 las vegas
gears of war
ghost recon advanced warfighter 2
forza 2
both guitar hero games

plus there are loads more top quality games i cant remember now:P

coming out in next month are

grand theft auto 4
unreal 3
R6 las vegas 2

thats 3 top flight games

but its horses for course really just get the one that makes ur dick seem bigger :P

oh yeh and x box live is superb and £35 a year is peanuts
Old 25 February 2008, 05:00 PM
CTR54
Scooby Regular

get both ....i did end of problem
Old 25 February 2008, 05:20 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I've got both. Use the 360 all the time (despite the dire reliability record), and the PS3 is quickly gathering dust.

As far as comparisons go. I've not seen a single thing on the PS3 that looks or sounds superior to the 360 yet...

Last edited by Iain Young; 25 February 2008 at 05:24 PM.
Old 25 February 2008, 05:31 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Try a Blu Ray disc Iain