Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

New Mobile Phone - problems

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2008, 10:55 AM
Andy T
Scooby Regular

Location: Northampton Xbox360 Tag - GTMonkeyboy Project-Stealth Wagon WIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Mobile Phone - problems

Have just been sent the new SE W960i.
First impressions, not impressed with how awkward it was to use compaired to all the previous Sony Ericsson mobiles I have owned (bit of a SE slag me)

Anyway after spending my lunch break playing and connecting to my work PC found it real easy to use once I had got my head around the Jog Wheel and Touch screen menus, sync'ed the Phone to Outlook for contacts and calender. Well impressed, what a great phone.

Got home and tried to connect to my Laptop (HP DV9600 with Vista), popped CD into drive and got an error msg saying it was the wrong version of software (cant remember exact wordiness) ! now this CD had worked on my work PC ? got the SE site loaded and looked for all the latest drivers and software. Managed to download and install the MultiMedia transfer application without a problem, pluged in phone when prompted via USB and the Laptop did not recognise the phone being connected, although the Icon for USB was displayed on the phone screen. Not Pleased, old W850i never failed this early into use. Great an 8GB phone that is meant to be better than the IPhone and it wont connect to a PC.

Also cannot get it to connect to secured WiFi network at home. When prompted for the WEP key, phone asks for an ASCII code or HEX code of x or y Characters. Loosing my rag with what could be an awesome gadget.

Apart from these minorish problems, am well pleased with new phone. especially when it cost me nothing to upgrade and with a bit of haggling saved myself a minimum of £20 pcm, also got first month half price.
Old 13 February 2008, 11:40 AM
alpha charlie
Scooby Regular

What network you on matey? Looking for a new SE phone at present
Cheers
AC
Old 13 February 2008, 11:47 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

make sure you have the latest PC suite from the SE site. to sync etc with the laptop phone needs to be in phone mode. In usb mode it will be seen as an external flash drive.

for extra info look here.

Mobile phone forum Index @ Esato
Old 13 February 2008, 12:36 PM
Andy T
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys.

Am on Vodafone, have been for about 10 years (f'all signal in Devon all them years ago). They rang me up to ask if I wanted an upgrade, all done over phoneline. Got phone delivered to work by next day too.
Old 13 February 2008, 06:37 PM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

i got the w960i, the wifi is cool
the only thing it lacks is playing vid clips.. ie from youtube.
i'm still running xp though so i can't help you with that sorry
Old 13 February 2008, 08:02 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wwp8
i got the w960i, the wifi is cool
the only thing it lacks is playing vid clips.. ie from youtube.
i'm still running xp though so i can't help you with that sorry

Have a look at software called Orb
Old 14 February 2008, 09:12 AM
Andy T
Scooby Regular

Right, got it sorted (well bodged at the moment) to run with Vista !
The error from the instalation of the SE Smart Phone PC Suite was solved by finding the installation file on the CD and choosing to run in XP SP2 mode, this I find amazing as are MS telling us that XP was better than Vista. If it aint broke dont try to fix it, (or sell me something that is broken hey Mr Bill Gates !!)

Now I have the Media Manager installed on the LapTop, things are going to be easy, sending Video/Music etc. Nope. Still get the message "please connect phone via USB". Simple solution, set phone as external drive, assign a letter in this case F:, and manage it myself.

Am sure these problems are going to be fixed in the future and possibly some are due to me a) not reading manual (half the fun is finding things out yourself) and b)cause and effect from buggering something up from doing a)

Overall this phone is awesome, still not found full potential of it or am able to know long term reliability of it. Still have original T68i that is still working fine. Sadly the trusty W850i is now in my ever growing private SE Collection, as it started to have senior moments.

Whilst looking for W960i found this, expected in Q3 of this year.

Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 and more - GSMArena.com news