Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

how do i secure my router from intruders

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2008, 05:44 PM
mike799
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post how do i secure my router from intruders

i have a belkin wireless router,can anyone explain how i can secure it from intruders.

thanks for all info
Old 30 January 2008, 05:47 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Intruders ....

er.. Lock it in a cupboard?
Old 30 January 2008, 06:04 PM
mike799
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Intruders ....

er.. Lock it in a cupboard?
thanks for that

nice car by the way looks exactly the same as mine,can't wait untill the 6th feb jollygreenmonster will be remapping mine with new vf35 turbo on
Old 30 January 2008, 06:05 PM
scooby0809
Scooby Regular

Don't quote me, but i think you WEP encrypt (either 12 or 24 digit) it by either generating a code or making up your own and change the standard name of the router when shipped to something of your choice..
Old 30 January 2008, 06:29 PM
P1SCOOB
Scooby Regular

Spot on - You just need to log into your router by typing in the following IP address into internet explorer
This will then take you into your router setup / settings
Basically you need to setup an encryption key as mentioned in the above post - It usually comes under a menu titled "security" or something like that. Then it's just a case of entering a code / password.

If you want to take it to the next level you can enable MAC security also which will prevent any other users from being able to log in - This will also prevent your own laptop connecting remotely until you setup MAC security. Basically your laptop will have a MAC address / ID which you need to add to the allowed list within the MAC security setup within the belkin router MAC security list.....hope this makes sense
Old 30 January 2008, 07:12 PM
mike799
Scooby Regular

thanks for the info scooby0809 & P1SCOOB excellent all sorted now
Old 30 January 2008, 07:30 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

You want to use WPA PSK encryption and a very long complicated password. WEP is not longer considered secure, as a knowledgeable amateur can gain access generally within a couple of hours (you will have no idea he is trying).

The password does not have to be memorable. There are lots of password generators that you can use, or you can just mash the keyboard until you make something that is 50+ digits.

Save the password in a text file, copy to USB pen drive and walk around the house copying the password into all your wireless devices. Then delete the text file.

If you need the password again then you can look it up on your router, or just make a new one and repeat the above.

Finally, make sure you set a password for your router that you DO REMEMBER. There is no real need for this password to be stupidly complex. Just follow the basic rules of using letters and numbers, not just simple words with a number after them.
Old 30 January 2008, 07:36 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

An example of a WPA password that I would consider secure:

$'"hY&KVI-Fof_Hj;Fec9%8l"P6ca9Eky(?HyeVLUwvBMmw/,p+dY4$#8@USX<

It takes just as much effort to make a short password as it does a long one.

I use something called KeePass. Its primary purpose to create a secure database to hold all of your passwords. It also includes a password generator. Its also entirely and completely free. No adware either.
Old 31 January 2008, 08:21 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
I use something called KeePass. Its primary purpose to create a secure database to hold all of your passwords. It also includes a password generator. Its also entirely and completely free. No adware either.
Nice will check that out
Old 31 January 2008, 09:33 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mike1210
Nice will check that out
Cool Let me know how you get on. If you find something better it is always nice to know KeePass is not perfect as it is an extra step to have to go through when you want to enter a password into a site. It has some autofilling options, but there are not that substantial atm.

I have used some software in the past that was a little more automated. I don't think it was free, and I don't remember what it was either
Old 31 January 2008, 04:39 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The absolute first thing to do is to change the password for getting into the router! Anyone sniffing wireless networks will know what type it is, and it's easy to find out a) the default IP address and b) the default login and password. It's then pretty simple for them t make any changes they need to get around any of your security measures - or even to just lock you out.

Next change the default SSID to one you can recognise easily - mainly to stop you accidentally connecting to someone else's network. Not only can you use their bandwidth, but they can access your computer.

BTW, if someone suggests turning off SSID broadcast, ignore them: this actually makes the network less secure, and all proper security sources advise against it. Amateurs still seem to parrot that bit of advice though.

Them as already said, a WPA encryption setting (WPA2 if both router and NICs support it) with a long passcode.

MAC address filtering will deter most opportunist hackers, but can be bypassed by experts - do it anyway.

M
Old 31 January 2008, 07:55 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by _Meridian_
BTW, if someone suggests turning off SSID broadcast, ignore them: this actually makes the network less secure, and all proper security sources advise against it. Amateurs still seem to parrot that bit of advice though.
I'm so glad you said that. The last time I said that to someone a 30 min row ensued with them claiming I had "no clue".

Its no big deal in a home environment from what I know, even less so if you use Vista. Its just that it offers you no real benefit, and just makes it harder to connect your machines.
Old 31 January 2008, 10:42 PM
mike799
Scooby Regular

thanks for all your info
hopefully my network is now secure

thanks again for all info
Old 31 January 2008, 11:01 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

no worries, your welcome