Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wish I had Never Bought A DELL Computer !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2008, 05:12 PM
Tony MY03WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wish I had Never Bought A DELL Computer !!!!

Here is a quick run down of the problems I have has so far...

I purchased this from dell and it was delivered at the beginning of January.

DimensionTM XPS 420 (D01X403) Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core™ Processor Q6600 (2.40GHz, 8MB, 1066MHz)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium
Base Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core™ Processor Q6600 (2.40GHz, 8MB, 1066MHz)
Memory 3072MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024/2x512]
Video Card SINGLE 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT card
Hard Drive 640GB Dual Hard Drive Raid 0 Stripe (2x320GB - 7200rpm)
CD/DVD Drives 16x DVD +/- RW Drive

Standard Warranty Base Warranty - 1 Year XPS Premium Hardware Support (incl. Gaming and On-Site Support)

Hardware Support Base Warranty - 1 Year XPS Premium Hardware Support (incl. Gaming and On-Site Support)

£649 includes VAT & Shipping

I have had nothing but trouble from it since day 1

First problem was one of the Hard drives started to fail and the Raid Software said to back up immediately which I did.

I then phone Technical Help line and after holding for almost an hour they answered and took remote control of my system and updated the driver for the raid controller. I was told this was the problem.

A few days later the computer started to lock up for no apparent reason. I attempted to call Technical Services again but got fed up with holding for almost an hour on 2 separate occasions.

So i decided to re install the operating system from the recovery disk held on one of the hard drives. Half way through the re install the computer crashes again with the blue screen of death.

Now it will not recognise the recovery disk on one of the hard drives so I attempt to do a full re install from the Vista disk supplied, again during the install the computer crashes again..I try again to install and same again and again.

I then fire my laptop up and start looking through forums for possible causes of the crashes....different error messages every time but always blue screen.

I read on one of the sites that it could be a memory problem so I remove 1 GB of the memory (2 x 512) and it installs Vista without a problem.

Great I think all sorted. I again attempt to talk to someone at DELL but they all keep pointing me back to Technical as they are the only ones who can authorise replacement memory, another 3 attempts being put on hold for over 40 minutes at a time.

So I now resort to emails to them which can take up to 5 days to reply and eventualy after almost 2 weeks they replace my knackered memory.

Over the last week I am now getting the original problem again one of the hard disks are failing please back up..Ahhhhhhhhhhh what else can go wrong....

This time I decide not to call but go straight for the email and they have finally agreed to send someone out but they want me to stay at home for 2 DAYS!!!! from 9.00am to 5.30am......

Has anyone else had the same problems with Dell and got any helpful advice on what to do.

I have said i would like them to take the computer back and I would like a full refund, but they said the can only do that in the first 7 days of purchase...
Old 31 January 2008, 05:34 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

That 7 days to return it stuff is bullsh*t. If you've had enough of it then tell them you're rejecting it under the sale of goods act as not being fit for purpose and you want a full refund. Hope you bought it on a credit card.

Failing that you can either wait for them to come out and look at it, but again I wouldn't be prepared to wait for them over two days, demand they give you a day and preferably an AM or PM slot so you don't have to have too much time off.

Last option is to forget Dell altogether, cut your losses, and get someone who knows what they're doing to sort it with working memory, hard drives, etc. and reinstall the OS. But you shouldn't have to do that on a 1 month old computer.

Hope this isn't too indicative of the normal Dell experience as I've just got a new laptop from them
Old 31 January 2008, 05:43 PM
slipstream_uk
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In dells defence, ive bought two laptops from them, never misses a beat. Also my father has bought pc's in the past again never misses a beat.

Maybe your just unlucky with your pc, maybe youve got a 'monday or friday' pc
Old 31 January 2008, 05:45 PM
scoobz72
Scooby Regular

Hi, Its strange as Dell pride themselves on customer service. Personally I have never had problems with Dell hardware, although the purchases I used to make were Power edge servers etc.

Your system is quite high end, wih RAID array etc, so is the CPU up to managing the RAID as well as day to day computing?
I know dual core are the standard, but when it comes to RAID you cant beat a proper Dual Xeon board with SCSI controllers etc.

I would like to think its isolated but if this is how they are selling systems, i have a feeling you will not be alone, hence the lengthy hold time on the phone.

Come on Dell, sort it out!
Old 31 January 2008, 05:47 PM
scoobz72
Scooby Regular

The problem sounds like RAM, if you can get another stick, just slot it in.
Old 31 January 2008, 06:21 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Should've got an Apple.......
Best thing I ever did!
Old 31 January 2008, 06:39 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I think the experience you have with Dell changes depending on whether you are a home user or a business user. Business service is a lot better, but not perfect.

My dad got a laptop from them recently. Had no end of trouble with it during the first month. We still don't really know what the cause was. But his laptop had 4 reinstalls and 2 new mobos before it settled down. The support was good, but we had next day on site pan European business support. We paid £££ for that at the time of purchase mind.

I think Dell are going downhill a little personally. Its hard to talk to someone who really knows what they are doing. Even being a business customer that have wanted us to go through some sort of Indian call centre when we were dealing with them last year

We are about to get another machine, but it won't be ordered through an Indian call centre. Talking tech over a phone is bad enough without having a language barrier They can either offer us our previous English support or we are off
Old 31 January 2008, 06:41 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same issue with my Dell, phoned them got straight through and they sent someone out next day to replace the drive !!

Worked fine for the past 3 years !!

I planned to buy that spec you have there from Dell, but decided to do my own build.. glad I did now
Old 31 January 2008, 06:45 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Never had a problem with Dell's ever

neither has most of our customers who have and still use Dell, not just business but home as well

Any problems that have arisen have been dealt with very quickly and efficiently
Old 31 January 2008, 07:25 PM
Tony MY03WRX
Scooby Regular

I have to agree with what most people are saying....everyone else I have spoken to cant praise them enough, but not many have had problems though.

I have given up on trying the Technical help line due to being on hold for long periods of time and the only time I managed to speak with someone, it was hard work as it was a call centre, which I presume was in India...

Do you think being given a 2 day slot for an engineer to call is reasonable, I cant afford to take 2 days of work or waste 2 days holiday....
Old 31 January 2008, 07:52 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

nope, I don't think what they are offering you is reasonable in any way. I would email, not call, to document your complaints. I would be very tempted to reject the computer and inform your credit card company that you are planning on doing so.

You could give Dell one last chance, but I would expect some form of compensation for the hassle you are having to endure. Taking two days off work is unreasonable. I think I would ask for a replacement unit to be delivered and yours collected. That way you would not have to wait home.
Old 31 January 2008, 08:02 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

I thought all new machines came with next business day on site

Which means 1 day window, not 2 days
Old 31 January 2008, 08:37 PM
Tony MY03WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
I thought all new machines came with next business day on site

Which means 1 day window, not 2 days
Just looked and yes you are right

Next Business Day DELL 03/01/2008 02/01/2009 337

This is what I got back today from them

Dear Mr. Smith,

Thank you for contacting Dell XPS Hardware E-Support.

I understand from your reply that the same raid error was displayed again.

To resolve the issue, I would arrange for an onsite technical service call. To initiate the onsite service delivery, apart from the address and phone number, it is important to confirm your availability for the next two business days at the above mentioned address between 9:00 AM to 5:30 PM.

So, could you please confirm your availability and preferred time for the engineer's visit?

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Your case number for this interaction is ********.

Thank you again for contacting Dell XPS Hardware E-Support.

Respectfully,

Arif Nomani
8:00 AM to 5:30 PM
Mon - Fri
Dell XPS Hardware E-Support
UK & IRE Support
Old 31 January 2008, 09:01 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Arif Nomani .... hmm Strong British Name
Old 31 January 2008, 10:45 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Generally, I buy systems off Dell for clients. I check them out, make sure they work and run some burn-in stress tests to ensure they are stable, before sending it off out the door.

....Then I provide the tech support (which I charge for) when they go wrong (unless the hardware dies- where it gets shipped back to Ireland)

Although, I have since swapped to Hewlet Packards. They are more expensive. But they have less pre-installed junk-ware hogging the system resources....which makes my life easier.
Old 31 January 2008, 11:00 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

If you are ordering Dells for clients then surely thats the business arm of Dell you use? In that case there is an option you tick that removes the junk ware from the machines. Or at least there was the last time I ordered one (only a few months).

What's the gain from using HPs other than junk ware? Do they use more standard components to make servicing them later on easier?
Old 31 January 2008, 11:22 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I use whichever is cheapest at the time Sometimes the home deals work out cheaper for the same spec, sometimes its the other way round. As I only order 1 pc at a time, I only have "small business" status.

I should mention that I make zero profit from the PC sale, I just order the best possible spec for the best price on the client's budget. It's just something we do to help. Seeing there is someone in our office from 8am to 6pm there is someone who can accept the delivery, or take a system away for repair. Which people can appreciate, Dell's 9 to 5 time frame is very inflexible for the average person.

In either case, I've never seen a "no junkware option". Although its been a while since I last looked. But I do know I can order a clean slate machine without an OS (well, Linux actually) but they work out more expensive.

HP's do have junkware as well, but IMO, not as intrusive and not as much. Both HP and Dell are built very similar with similar case designs, so everything just clips together or slots in. So there is no real physical difference between either systems of the same specification.

Not had a HP go wrong (yet) though

Last edited by Shark Man; 31 January 2008 at 11:25 PM.
Old 31 January 2008, 11:40 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Dont talk to me about HP and junkware, my new laptop needed either 17 CD's or 3 DVD's for the recovery disks

XP is only 450Mb maximum, so what are the other 16 CD's for
Old 31 January 2008, 11:43 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a good business model, and pretty much what I follow too I don't feel the need to try and make a profit on the PC sale, having a happy client who wants you to support their machine is good enough

I too have small business status with Dell, and all the recent machines (last year) have all had a tick box on one of the config screens to have all the crapware removed. Its one of the benefits of the business orders. If you cannot find it speak to one of the salesman, can save you a few hours

The bit about Dell that bugs me is when they use a non standard power supply but with a standard connector (BOOM!!). Or when they have non standard CPU fans that they want £50 for when they fail Its nice to work on non proprietary stuff as its just so much easier to fiddle with. Even Dell's BIOS can be quite limiting on what you are trying to do
Old 01 February 2008, 12:05 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
Should've got an Apple.......
Best thing I ever did!
Do you post on car threads saying "should've got a motorbike...."
Old 01 February 2008, 12:31 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous

The bit about Dell that bugs me is when they use a non standard power supply but with a standard connector (BOOM!!). Or when they have non standard CPU fans that they want £50 for when they fail Its nice to work on non proprietary stuff as its just so much easier to fiddle with. Even Dell's BIOS can be quite limiting on what you are trying to do
Hps are the same (well, the dc/dx series at least).

I belive most are BTX form factors these days, which obviously means that stuff intended for an ATX case (or motherboard) may or may not fit.

Some of the old Dell and HP stuff used very odd non-standard stuff. My old Vectra has a unique small sized PSU with m/board controlled fan - unplug the fan rpm wire and the system won't boot, with no way of bypassing in the BIOS, so much for replacing a dodgy fan!

The old Dell Optiplex G1s were the same as well, odd sized PSUs with odd sized cases using riser cards/daughter boards so that you can still fit expansion cards.

And not to forget half-height desktop cases, fine until you fancy fitting a nice gfx card or any other full-height interface card at that
Old 01 February 2008, 10:34 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Tony MY03WRX
Here is a quick run down of the problems I have has so far...

I purchased this from dell and it was delivered at the beginning of January.

DimensionTM XPS 420 (D01X403) Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core™ Processor Q6600 (2.40GHz, 8MB, 1066MHz)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium
Base Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core™ Processor Q6600 (2.40GHz, 8MB, 1066MHz)
Memory 3072MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024/2x512]
Video Card SINGLE 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT card
Hard Drive 640GB Dual Hard Drive Raid 0 Stripe (2x320GB - 7200rpm)
CD/DVD Drives 16x DVD +/- RW Drive

Standard Warranty Base Warranty - 1 Year XPS Premium Hardware Support (incl. Gaming and On-Site Support)

Hardware Support Base Warranty - 1 Year XPS Premium Hardware Support (incl. Gaming and On-Site Support)

£649 includes VAT & Shipping

I have had nothing but trouble from it since day 1

First problem was one of the Hard drives started to fail and the Raid Software said to back up immediately which I did.

I then phone Technical Help line and after holding for almost an hour they answered and took remote control of my system and updated the driver for the raid controller. I was told this was the problem.

A few days later the computer started to lock up for no apparent reason. I attempted to call Technical Services again but got fed up with holding for almost an hour on 2 separate occasions.

So i decided to re install the operating system from the recovery disk held on one of the hard drives. Half way through the re install the computer crashes again with the blue screen of death.

Now it will not recognise the recovery disk on one of the hard drives so I attempt to do a full re install from the Vista disk supplied, again during the install the computer crashes again..I try again to install and same again and again.

I then fire my laptop up and start looking through forums for possible causes of the crashes....different error messages every time but always blue screen.

I read on one of the sites that it could be a memory problem so I remove 1 GB of the memory (2 x 512) and it installs Vista without a problem.

Great I think all sorted. I again attempt to talk to someone at DELL but they all keep pointing me back to Technical as they are the only ones who can authorise replacement memory, another 3 attempts being put on hold for over 40 minutes at a time.

So I now resort to emails to them which can take up to 5 days to reply and eventualy after almost 2 weeks they replace my knackered memory.

Over the last week I am now getting the original problem again one of the hard disks are failing please back up..Ahhhhhhhhhhh what else can go wrong....

This time I decide not to call but go straight for the email and they have finally agreed to send someone out but they want me to stay at home for 2 DAYS!!!! from 9.00am to 5.30am......

Has anyone else had the same problems with Dell and got any helpful advice on what to do.

I have said i would like them to take the computer back and I would like a full refund, but they said the can only do that in the first 7 days of purchase...
VERY surprised at this mate.

Since you have an XPS system, shouldn't you have the next business day technician home visit warranty?

ns04
Old 01 February 2008, 12:48 PM
Tony MY03WRX
Scooby Regular

Update

They have agreed to send and engineer out next Friday and I only have to wait in for the 1 day....
Old 01 February 2008, 04:30 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
Do you post on car threads saying "should've got a motorbike...."
Nope. Because I haven't got one.