Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Stolen laptop, got the address, IP, ADSL provider. What to do ?

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2008, 10:07 AM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stolen laptop, got the address, IP, ADSL provider. What to do ?

Hi peeps.

A few weeks ago, we had a fairly decent laptop stolen from one of our salesmans cars. "Way it goes" so we thought. Restored all the data to a new one etc etc.

HOWEVER, we have remote control software, and it notifies us whenever a machine is online. The stupid tealeaf didn't check for remote control software.

We also have logged his (or her) IP address, BB provider, longitude, lattitude, house number and color of the front door. Seriously.

This machine is always on in the evening. We tried to get the police to do something whilst it was online. Eventually after getting "So someone has stolen an "IP" address from you","Whats an ip address", "Sorry, you have the wrong dept" we have given up. Stupid thing is, its an easy collar and cleanup for some copper.

Anyway, any ideas on how to really, really bork the machine and the restore partition? We will prolly have 5 mins max before we get noticed.
Old 09 January 2008, 10:12 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

downloads of kiddie **** then inform the police
Old 09 January 2008, 10:39 AM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

Most wiping utilities require you to boot from a CD/floppy etc. In the past I have used Nuke which is very good. Darik's Boot and Nuke (Hard Drive Disk Wipe)

What you could do is exact the program onto the hard drive and run autonuke.exe while the PC is booted. I'm pretty sure it will screw the pc fairly quickly.
Old 09 January 2008, 10:48 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Bear in mind that the person using it now probably isn't the person who nicked it...
Old 09 January 2008, 10:55 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I'm surprised the Police are not interested, seems like an easy catch to at least see who the person bought it from.

Steve
Old 09 January 2008, 11:05 AM
Freelance Badger
Scooby Regular

Yes I'd certainly be trying the get the Police to do something. Give them some kinda print out confirming it's on-line where and when and tell them to go get it back! Of course it's unlikely to be the person who nicked it - and they'll keep it for evidence - but it's a start, and you might just be lucky....
Old 09 January 2008, 11:53 AM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
Bear in mind that the person using it now probably isn't the person who nicked it...
That had occurred to me Iain, but at the end of the day, they are still in receipt of stolen property. I mean part of me says ok, leave it, a laptop is still useful and to just kill it so it gets binned wasteful, but a part of me says why should they get away with what they probabily knew was hooky gear. If a bloke offered me a core duo laptop, with some random guys name on it, no box, for £100, i'd have my suspicions.

But yeah, no matter how much we try and prod the police, they just aren't interested (Too busy handing out speeding fines I expect, as that makes revenue rather than costs it)
Old 09 January 2008, 12:48 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

The police wont help cos there isnt a profit in it for them

The cops are useless
Old 09 January 2008, 12:58 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Can you force the Police into it? Publicity with The Register or something similiar? Worth a try as I hate to see someone getting away with stealing.

Steve
Old 09 January 2008, 01:00 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aye, had your guys car been stolen and passed a speed camera they'd waste no time sending you a fine.
Old 09 January 2008, 01:16 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkKnight
downloads of kiddie **** then inform the police
Not really the way to go if the PC has changed hands with the buyer thinking it was a legitimate sale.
Keep going with the police imo, you just need to speak to the right person, visit them face to face.
Old 09 January 2008, 01:23 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

If you get nowhere with the police, why not go round in person??

Even better, do like in the matrix. Post a message up on the screeen remotely saying "Knock Knock" or "Answer the door". Co-ordinate on your mobiles. Just as you post the message, knock the door and ask about the laptop.

That would freak the sh!te outta anyone.

Keep the other person handy to run the autonuke. If you get nowhere tell them that it is just about to be wiped and the police informed. (They don't know the police are doing nothing)
Old 09 January 2008, 01:37 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

You should be able to embarrass the police into doing something.

Offer to contact the press on their behalf regarding their new policy of non prosecution for theft. Say that the police regard this crime to be slow low in the priorty stakes that even with fully documented evidence of where stolen property is, who has it, and the times they will be there that their new policy is not to investigate.

You can play with the wording, but basically draft the letter you would write to the local news paper should they not actually put their doughnuts down and go over there. The police do not like bad press, especially when you can prove it. Maybe invite a local reporter over (you know the free ad paper ones that really struggle to get a story about a cat up a tree). They will bite your arm off for a story like this
Old 09 January 2008, 01:48 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Try the Police again, useless lot!

Just badger them every hour until they do something.
Old 09 January 2008, 02:24 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Im confused why the police wont act.

Have you got a physical address? I know you say you've got longitude/latitude, house number, colour of front door but to be honest if you told the police you have longitude/latitude, they'd probably call in the coastguard, lol.

If you actually do have a physical address, then walk into your local police station with it written on a piece of paper and tell them your laptop is in there and you have evidence to back it up.
Old 09 January 2008, 02:29 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Im curious as to how you have managed to get the latitude and longtitude coordinates and house number of the location of the laptop

Spoofing IP addressess is really easy, also if you have used one of those IP locater sites they are as much use as a chocolate fireguard

Our company owns a range of class C subnets and have done for at least the last 20 years, yet no location software or website has yet managed to locate our offices within 30 miles
Old 09 January 2008, 03:08 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Sonic, in reply to your Q, yes we used a locator site. Even if that failed, all the police have to do is talk to BT to get the address. Also if/when we log onto the machine, we can read his docs also, and his email. hmm, signing him up for gay midget **** weekly could be interesting
Old 09 January 2008, 04:03 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Ah, so you don't have the address then.
Old 09 January 2008, 04:09 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

If you type the co-ordinates into Google Maps you'll get the address?

Steve
Old 09 January 2008, 06:23 PM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

Have you contacted Kofi Annan at the UN ?

You said you have the house location, the UN will be able to send a laser guided missile from a satellite and strike the house which would take out the laptop. Its something to bare in mind if all else fails.
Old 09 January 2008, 07:03 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only us an IP address is would be to find out the persons ISP.. you can not find out where they live.. unless they own the IP range.. !

So location and colour of door is Bull!

As for stolen laptop, report to police and try to get a court order to get the ISP to trace the IP !

In all honestly though.. it is very unlikely !
Old 09 January 2008, 07:16 PM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

I cant beleive this for a second, you go to all the trouble of having notification when somebody logs on, but the laptop is not pw protected????

unless they used the administrator pw hack disk, but if they knew what they were doing, they would have wiped it???

Something not adding up here...

also as pointed out, you cant get somebodys address from an IP, unless you are / know the service provider.
Old 09 January 2008, 07:29 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gazza-uk
I cant beleive this for a second, you go to all the trouble of having notification when somebody logs on, but the laptop is not pw protected????

unless they used the administrator pw hack disk, but if they knew what they were doing, they would have wiped it???

Something not adding up here...

also as pointed out, you cant get somebodys address from an IP, unless you are / know the service provider.

For OP
Old 09 January 2008, 07:30 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is remote access a possibility ?
Old 09 January 2008, 07:31 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Silver Scooby Sport
Is remote access a possibility ?
It is... but having it setup not to alert the user ??

No good company practice !!

or are you asking if they have access to the PC ??
Old 09 January 2008, 07:34 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

- Yes, the users don't tend to use passwords, but then again there is nothing of real value on them. Yes if they had any brains they could have pressed F11 and done a OS re install. Also before anybody says thats stupid. Yes I know, but I don't set the IT policies!

As for not having anything. Logging in, or even remote file access allows me to see all their documents. This would yield something.

Also we have the IP address, and the internet provider (BT)

Ill prod the plod again, see if we can get anything.
Old 09 January 2008, 07:38 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stueyb

We also have logged his (or her) IP address, BB provider, longitude, lattitude, house number and color of the front door. Seriously.

care to explain ??

So you mean you have their IP and you have found out the other stuff ??

So they stole a PC.. and uploaded files containing their address ??

possible I guess
Old 09 January 2008, 07:41 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
It is... but having it setup not to alert the user ??

No good company practice !!

or are you asking if they have access to the PC ??
Just considering if they could remote access the laptop and then either PW protect it or start removing programmes to render it usless if nothing legally can be done.
Old 09 January 2008, 08:00 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stueyb
Ill prod the plod again, see if we can get anything.

Ask specifically for the computer crime people. If you talk to the normal coppers then odds are most of them won't actually understand you. Which force are we talking?

M
Old 10 January 2008, 10:43 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Boro
Im confused why the police wont act.

Have you got a physical address? I know you say you've got longitude/latitude, house number, colour of front door but to be honest if you told the police you have longitude/latitude, they'd probably call in the coastguard, lol.

If you actually do have a physical address, then walk into your local police station with it written on a piece of paper and tell them your laptop is in there and you have evidence to back it up.
I agree.

Sorry, but I can't believe that if I went to the police and told them my laptop had been stolen and I have the exact adrress of where said stolen laptop is, that they wouldn't go and investigate!?!?!

If that is the case then I would be contacting a high ranking officer and asking why his constables aren't interested in solving crime!

Quick Reply: Stolen laptop, got the address, IP, ADSL provider. What to do ?