Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

oh pants I knackered friends laptop ~ help !

Search this Thread

Old 26 December 2007, 09:59 AM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oh pants I knackered friends laptop ~ help !

Went to a friends as she was having a bit of a Christmas bash... "Bring some music" she says. So I took my external HD which is a backup of my PC.

Downloaded iTunes and installed.. so far so good, it trolled through her Fujitsu laptop thing and found a few tracks. Plugged in my external drive and merely pointed iTunes at my external drive.

All hunky dory so far, she went out for some last minute bits and pieces and I chopped veg (as you do).
Not quite sure how long later possibly an hour or so as it had played NME Music Awards tracks she came back and said where was the music ?
Hadn't noticed but it had gone quiet.
Laptop had blue screened, but not a normal BSOD, it was corrupt. Rebooted and the Fujitsu Computer boot up graphics were corrupt. NOT GOOD !
Couldn't find something on the <C> drive in a sys directory. Couldn't read the text as it was really badly corrupt.

Contains 2000 + photos of her world tours , not backed up !

Obviously this was clearly my fault as I'd plugged my external drive in and downloaded this dubious software (iTunes from the Apple site!).

It looked to me that either the internal HD was completely fooked, or there was something wrong with the onboard graphics as the boot screens were knackered too.

First thing I did on returning home was download the latest virus definitions and check the external drive ~ clean. Checked against mothers laptop running different AV software, again clean.

Any ideas ?
Am I just darned unfortunate that the sodding thing died when I touched it last ???

To add, if I was at my house I'd have popped in a Linux live CD and would have tried to read the drive, but this option wasn't available.

Ta

Mark

Last edited by Blackscooby; 26 December 2007 at 10:05 AM. Reason: more info
Old 26 December 2007, 10:40 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Had a similar issue. Grab a PC monitor and plug it into the back of the laptop. If the picture clears up then she is having an issue with her screen.

If the picture does not clear up, then it sounds like her graphics card is bust.

The bad news is that since the music stopped playing, its not likely to be the screen. With a bust screen the computer just keeps going.

The good news is that it is almost certainly not down to you, and her pictures should be recoverable. Just find a PC tech in the area who can take the drive out and hook it up, assuming you cannot.
Old 26 December 2007, 02:21 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NTFS can be a ******* to recover files from ..

The harddrive I would assume had caused the BSOD but for it to not work when you unplugged it.. its not gonna be that... might have pushed something over the edge.. I'd be very careful as her photos are obviously very important.. get the drive out and the files recovered first..
Old 27 December 2007, 12:41 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Sounds like it *could* have over-heated.

If you have corrupt graphics on boot-up then it is unlikely to be from anything you've done.

Leave it for some hours.

I suspect that it isn't the HDD - so if the laptop has gone **** up then you can always take the drive out and plug into an external enclose to recover files.
Old 27 December 2007, 01:08 PM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

dont do anything to the c drive!, this sounds like a sys board(prob blown with the usb)/memory fault, is it a fujitsu-siemens?? if so what model?

the data can be recovered by sticking the drive in an exteran caddy and connecting to a working pc.

Last edited by gazza-uk; 27 December 2007 at 01:10 PM.
Old 27 December 2007, 09:29 PM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

Yep Fujitsu-Siemens thing. No idea of the model. I agree with the video fault idea as the screen was foo-barred, however the disk appeared to be in trouble too !

Sadly her laptop is in London and I'm in Yorkshire now, otherwise I'd have pulled the disk out and attempt to mount it **ahem** remotely.

Definitely a case of bust it and run !!

OOoops
Old 27 December 2007, 10:49 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

If you can mail me the hard drive I (may), be able to recover the data for you...
Xmas and all... ;-)
Offer's there send it recorded etc.
Daz