Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Cat amongst the pigeons - Xbox 360 or PS3

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2007, 03:06 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat amongst the pigeons - Xbox 360 or PS3

Right, I want to buy one of the above and I am totally clueless when it comes to gaming and consoles. I buy them and they get a couple of months use then sit in the corner gathering dust forever more after that.

So, I want some advice, what is the best thing to go for? I like the idea of the PS3 because of the HD games and what appears to be stunning graphics capability, but on the other hand the 360 seems to have more games.

I like driving games, shooters like splinter cell and the g/f likes fighting games and singstar type stuff.

Are there any good driving games on the PS3 yet? Does the Xbox have proper HD gaming?

Any help would be appreciated.

PS, don't say Wii, I've had one of them and it only got used when we had people round that were drinking, the games were a little too childish the rest of the time.
Old 19 December 2007, 03:14 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Well... which games are out that you want to play? Pick the console they run on. The machine itself is just a means to an end.
Old 19 December 2007, 03:15 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

360, PS3 is yet to have any decent games.
Old 19 December 2007, 03:16 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Wow... Congrats on being the first person to post this type of thread. I would have thought somebody may have asked before but no you're the first!
Old 19 December 2007, 03:17 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
360, PS3 is yet to have any decent games.
Rubbish.

Anyway, buy both, or buy either. Neither will dissapoint.
Old 19 December 2007, 03:19 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Wow... Congrats on being the first person to post this type of thread. I would have thought somebody may have asked before but no you're the first!
Ha ha. Fair enough, I am aware that it has been posted before and that it is a heavily discussed topic. However I want a personal answer, because I'm a personal kind of guy.

Besides, who better to ask than SN for opinions on whether there are any good driving games on the PS3 yet?
Old 19 December 2007, 03:27 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

360 has the better choice of driving games but PS3 owners will point ot motorstorm and GT5 Prolouge which is due 2008 and looking very good but how it plays is yet to be seen.

Forza 2 on the 360 is superb IMHO.
Old 19 December 2007, 03:31 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by angrynorth
I buy them and they get a couple of months use then sit in the corner gathering dust forever more after that.
PS3 it is then Joke!

RI like the idea of the PS3 because of the HD games and what appears to be stunning graphics capability, but on the other hand the 360 seems to have more games.
Both provide HD gaming with virtually identical graphics. Yes, the 360 currently has more games, but the PS3 will soon catch up.

I like driving games, shooters like splinter cell and the g/f likes fighting games and singstar type stuff.
Xbox360 currently for driving and shooters, PS3 for Singstar.

Are there any good driving games on the PS3 yet?
Not especially. Compared to Forza 2 and PGR3 & 4 on the Xbox.

Does the Xbox have proper HD gaming?
Of course.

My opinion . . . get both. Failing that, get a 360 now and a PS3 when the games catalogue improves.
Old 19 December 2007, 03:39 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

This has been done to death, but imo...

I like the idea of the PS3 because of the HD games and what appears to be stunning graphics capability, but on the other hand the 360 seems to have more games.
Both have HD graphics, and in fact have very similar graphical abilities. A number of "multi-platform" games actually look better on the 360, (for example the recent PS3 version of Orange Box runs much better on the 360). Mostly down to sloppy conversions, but the fact is that these conversions are happening...

Loads of these on the 360. Not so many on the PS3. For driving Forza is a great "sim" type game, PGR4 is good for a quick arcade style blast. There is a splinter cell game for it, and rumour is the next one will be 360 exclusive (at least for a while). If you like the GTA games, GTA4 is out next year with a load of exclusive 360 content etc.

Are there any good driving games on the PS3 yet?
Not really. There is motorstorm, (if you can stand the slow loading times and boring tracks). I didn't like it much, but a lot of people do seem to enjoy it. There is GT5 coming next year sometime for some high resolution bumper car action, although no firm release date has been confirmed.

Does the Xbox have proper HD gaming?
Yes.

In summary, personally at the moment I don't think there is any decision to made. For games, the 360 currently has easily the best line-up of software. Whether this continues into the next year we will have to see
Old 19 December 2007, 04:22 PM
CupraDave
Scooby Regular

Only my opinion right enough but, I would say PS3

You can keep the GF happy with singstar and fighting games like Tekken, which by the way a special online version can be downloaded from the Palystation Store for just a few quid.

IMO Colin McRae Dirt is deffinately the best driving game out there at the mo for the PS3, as mentioned before GT5 will be out sometime. Burnout Paradise will be out in Jan 08, the downloadable demo seems pretty good, will be a fun acrade stylee driving game. I thought the Burnout games on the PS2 pretty good fun if you like arcade racing and crash games, these are good games to play with the other half and still get your driving kick, you can race the cars she can crash them.

Resistance: Fall of man is a fair go at a shoot em up and I got quite into it. Kane & Lynch has not long come out, got it in the house but not started it yet, demo was good

Online gaming is free with the PS3 where I am sure you have to subscribe and pay MS extra for the pleasure on the 360

PS3 has full wireless capabilities for the internet and is also a full on internet browser for when you cant be bothered to get up off the couch to check your emails

PS3 obviously has a built in blue ray player for HD films, I believe there is an add on for the 360 which allows you to play HD films but as I say it is an add on, something else for MS to charge you extra money for.

I have only had my PS3 a short while and dont think I have discovered everything it can do yet but I am well impressed. The game library will grow soon enough, especially now that Sony have made the cheaper 40gb version which is more accessable to people than the now obsolete 60gb version was. Not sure what they will charge for the new 80gb version they are to release soon but as with the 40gb version it will not have the backward software allowing PS2 games to be played on it.
Old 19 December 2007, 04:34 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

I'd agree with Iain and Ive got a PS3.

I was on the verge of buying a 360 really for forza2 (nothing comes close at the moment on the PS) but finally swung to the PS and being a PS2 owner dived in and got one of the last 60gb models with ps2 compatibility.

Driving games on the PS at the moment are poor, sega rally is pretty basic, mcrae dirt I bought and was so bad I sold it the next day. As Iain says Motorstorm is good but can get samey. However where both these consoles really shine is online play that just takes everything to a new level and can turn an average game into a fun one. I spend most of my time playing resistance on the PS which I love and online its superb (even though I continually get my *** railed in deathmatches!)

Gary
Old 19 December 2007, 04:56 PM
MTayler
Scooby Regular

Another thumbs upfor the PS 3 here as well .
Currently playing to death Call Of Duty 4 online, it's superb !.
Old 19 December 2007, 05:01 PM
Dave_68
Scooby Regular

I've got both and prefer the 360 for gaming, use the PS3 for Blue Ray mainly. Only have R:FOM and Motorstorm for the PS3 (got them launch day) and enjoy them both but still prefer playing on the 360...Can't tell you why though
Old 19 December 2007, 05:23 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

Go buy a PS3 ......

because you next question when you get an Xbox will be "how do I open ports for Live" and that's my second favourite question after this one
Old 19 December 2007, 05:41 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Don't you have to open similar ports for the PS3 as well though
Old 19 December 2007, 06:57 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

online against the other five PS3 owners in the UK must get boring after a while
Old 19 December 2007, 07:05 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5-Black

online against the other five PS3 owners in the UK must get boring after a while

360 mate better games
Old 19 December 2007, 09:17 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

I have recently got a 360 Elite, was rather impressed with it if im honest (only really played PC games before).

Mate of mine had a 360 for some time, part-exchanged it for a PS3 but was so disappointed with it he returned it and got another 360.
Old 19 December 2007, 09:37 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MTayler
Another thumbs upfor the PS 3 here as well .
Currently playing to death Call Of Duty 4 online, it's superb !.
Nice, however the 360 COD4 has sold about 400k compared to about 150k of PS3 sales
Old 19 December 2007, 10:00 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Rubbish.

Anyway, buy both, or buy either. Neither will dissapoint.
Name one decent game on the PS3 that you can't get on the 360.

As for "neither will disappoint", a mate of mine has both 360 and PS3 and therefore has no axe to grind either way. He hates the PS3 and thinks it was a total waste of money.
Old 19 December 2007, 10:22 PM
Jeff Stryker
BANNED

If you dont mind it blowing up all the time get a 360 as there's a much bigger selection of games.
If you dont mind having fewer games to choose from but something more reliable get a PS3
Old 20 December 2007, 09:19 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Name one decent game on the PS3 that you can't get on the 360.
I'll name you a few

Uncharted - Game of the year material
R&C 3
Motorstorm
Warhawk

As for "neither will disappoint", a mate of mine has both 360 and PS3 and therefore has no axe to grind either way. He hates the PS3 and thinks it was a total waste of money
He should sell it , then, if its a 60GB he'll make a profit.

I have both, and both are great.
Old 20 December 2007, 10:13 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Uncharted - Game of the year material
R&C 3
Motorstorm
Warhawk
The only one of those that looks interesting is Uncharted. Played the others and hated them all

I also know a couple of people who have traded in a PS3 and got a 360 instead and are enjoying the 360 a lot more. Not sure it's a good idea as I suspect that the quality and quantity of titles for the machine will increase in the next year (best to have both if you can afford it)...
Old 20 December 2007, 10:21 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
The only one of those that looks interesting is Uncharted. Played the others and hated them all
Of course there is always going to be personal taste, I thought they were all great

All those listed have been well recieved by the gaming press.

The 360 undeniably has a far bigger selection of quality titles.
Old 20 December 2007, 10:31 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Not really taste as I like games of all of those genres. I just didn't think that any of those games were particularly good examples.

The PS3 has much less software available, but people forget that the 360 didn't have a lot and the end of the first year either. Next year will be the one to watch. If Sony don't deliver then they'll have a lot of unhappy people on their hands...
Old 20 December 2007, 10:41 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Not really taste as I like games of all of those genres. I just didn't think that any of those games were particularly good examples.

The PS3 has much less software available, but people forget that the 360 didn't have a lot and the end of the first year either. Next year will be the one to watch. If Sony don't deliver then they'll have a lot of unhappy people on their hands...
Not really down to personal taste? I like FPS's but Daikatana was still a bag of ****e.

Of course it's personal taste - You though they were **** - the rest of the gaming press thought they were great. I mean that's fine, but it's always personal taste as to whether a game is any good or not.

Of course there are the universally acclaimed games, which those games I listed, are.

There lots more stuff coming for PS3 and 2008 had a lot of big names forth coming.

That goes for 360 as well of course.
Old 20 December 2007, 11:38 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Of course there are the universally acclaimed games, which those games I listed, are.
I saw plenty of average "reader" reviews for motorstorm, and I know plenty of people who hate it. Likewise with the others you listed. Just because the press say it's good doesn't mean that it actually is. You've only got to look at the recent stories of people being sacked because they've dared to give a game a bad review to see how much the media is under the thumb of large corporates. The only way to be sure is to try them yourself.
Old 20 December 2007, 11:45 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Just because the press say it's good doesn't mean that it actually is. .
I absolutely guarantee you if you go to metacritcs you will see that 99.99999999% of the time the higher ranked games are good, and the lower ranked are bad.

Like I said, personal taste aside, they were all good games.
Old 20 December 2007, 12:04 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

...both.

but seriously - both.

PS3 is worth getting for blu-ray and its upscaling ability alone, let alone everything else.

If however, online is your thing - 360 all the way.
Old 20 December 2007, 12:32 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I absolutely guarantee you if you go to metacritcs you will see that 99.99999999% of the time the higher ranked games are good, and the lower ranked are bad.

Like I said, personal taste aside, they were all good games.
Metacritic does give a good view, and the games you listed are all in the high 80's whereas the best games on the 360 are in the mid 90's.

I don't doubt that sooner or later the titles available for the PS3 will improve but right here, right now can you honestly say that you recommend the PS3 as the console to get? Next year, it might be different.

Quick Reply: Cat amongst the pigeons - Xbox 360 or PS3