Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

BSOD with nVidia 7300GT installed

Search this Thread

Old 06 November 2007, 10:33 PM
John@TunerUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BSOD with nVidia 7300GT installed

I'm currently building a HTPC, and after trying various Linux progs, I'm going to try some windows based progs.
I installed XP using the motherboards on board VGA port (An nVidia 7050 PV). No problems at all, however since I want to use this machine on a standard TV for a while, I bought an nVidia 7300GT, which has TV out. It worked fine in Linux, but in windows the desktop is displayed far too large, so half the screen was missing. Since I hadn't installed the propper drivers yet, I thought I'd give that a try before worrying about anything, however on doing so the screen turned off, and now whenever I restart the PC, it boots up, I get a BSOD, it restarts, and asks me if I want to start in safe mode.
I did this and tried to get windows to search for an updated driver, but it says I have the best driver for the job.
Upon removing the card the PC works perfectly once again.
Unfortunately the BSOD is on and off too quick to actually read.
I've searched Google for the past 30 min's, but can't find any clues. Any ideas?

Oh, and I don't know that much about the ins and outs of PC tinkery, so if I have to do something technical I'd really appreciate some instructions too

Thanks in advance

System: -
abit AN-M2HD motherboard
AMD 4200+ Dual core processor
Corsair 1gb DDR2 RAM
500GB Samsung Spinpoint SATA II
Leadtek DVT1000T
Hauppauge Nova t 500 DVB-t
Antec Fusion case with PSU

And one sorry looking Asus nVidia 7300GT sat on my desk

Last edited by John@TunerUK; 06 November 2007 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07 November 2007, 09:53 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Go to Welcome to NVIDIA - Graphics Cards, Motherboards, Notebooks, Desktop PCs and download some proper drivers. The ones on Windows Update are not necessarily the best for the job...
Old 07 November 2007, 03:15 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Also disable the onboard VGA in the BIOS. Windows can get confused as to which one you are trying to use. As we all know, when Windows gets confused, it throws all its toys out of its pram
Old 09 November 2007, 09:33 PM
John@TunerUK
Scooby Regular

OK, I've downloaded and installed the latest drivers. and it seemed to work at first. Windows loaded up, found new hardware, an nVidia 7300GT, but there was no nvidia control panel icon in the system tray like there is with the onboard nVidia 7050PV.
I was then just about to check the drivers, just in case it wasn;t using the propper nVidia one, when the screen turned off and I got the "Bing Bong" sound you get when you unplug some hardware.

The system was still running in the background, I just couldn't view it.

So in bios I changed the priority gfx card from PCIe to onboard, so I could use that instead, to check in device manager to see if there were any conflicts of interest.
All is fine in there though. It's connected, working fine, and using the same genuine nVidia driver that the on board gfx are using.

I'll go and have another look in Bios to see if I have the option to totally dissable the onboard gfx, but I don't recall seeing that option, just a sort of boot sequence for PCI - PCIe - Onboard.

Any other options?
Old 09 November 2007, 10:08 PM
John@TunerUK
Scooby Regular

Quick update, I don't have any option to dissable onboard gfx, just the option of which to use first. I've just tried it again, and this time it turned off before I even got to a desktop. I then tried it connected via s-video, and all I got with that was a garbled mess of colour.

Back to using the onboard gfx again.
Old 09 November 2007, 11:31 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Is the graphics card actually produced by Nividia? Or is this another manufacturers card that has the Nvidia chipset? The reason I ask, is I have seen this problem before. For example if the car is made by Asus, then it's best to pop over to the asus site and get Asus drivers. And Not the Nvidia ones.
Another thing to try and get hold of is the manufacturers chipset drivers. In those you should have the latest driver for the PCI/PCI-E side of things.
Good luck!