Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

360 Modded !

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2007, 07:05 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 360 Modded !

Well I finally did it, my 360 now plays my "backup" games!!!

Basically depending on the DVD drive installed, modding the box is a simple thing to do.

For anyone that cares heres how.

I wrote this guide myself and it is meant only as a rough guide. Do not attempt this if you have no previous experience modding, I and Scoobynet take no responsability for any damage to your systems.

For the sake of legal reasons and Scoobynet I wont name the programs used, but google is your friend.

1. Open the box, step by step guide found here CleverMod Xbox 360 hacks Ps3 - How to open your Xbox 360 easily without marking it

2. Open your PC (you need a sata connection or support motherboard for this)

3. Your 360 drive needs to be booted into Mode B or 2 depending on which guide you read. To do this there are two methods. The first and my choice is to download a program that you then burn to DVD and boot the 360 with, this forces the switch. The second involves using pins and a resistor and if anyones interested pm me I'll explain.

4. Once in mode B connect the PC to the drive with the sata using the 360 to power the drive. XP and Vista are then able to find the drive and you can flash it using one of the many googleable flash programs.

5. Reconnect and put back together and thats it ! Jobs a good en!

Very very simple and although it viods your warrenty, it allows your game collection to be backed up!

NB: 360 games are dual layer, so you will require a dual layer writer and some good media, the **** stuff causes more issues... choose a low writing speed too !
Old 22 October 2007, 07:07 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

oh and only the older 360's are able to be flashed
Old 22 October 2007, 10:36 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
oh and only the older 360's are able to be flashed
You mean the ones that WILL fail Mine is an older one with a Samsung drive. It's a year old now but I'm expecting it to go at some point so this is not an option for me
Old 22 October 2007, 10:57 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
You mean the ones that WILL fail Mine is an older one with a Samsung drive. It's a year old now but I'm expecting it to go at some point so this is not an option for me
well, its always a risk, but the money saved on "damaged" games will easily be enough to buy a new one if needed.
Old 22 October 2007, 12:29 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

well, its always a risk, but the money saved on "damaged" games will easily be enough to buy a new one if needed.

LOL what a load of bull plop

Damaged games ..... just have the ***** to admit your downloading them and you will still gain a little respect. I have 2 360's with 50 games and not a single scratched disk
Old 22 October 2007, 12:35 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Voiding your warranty is probably the last thing you want to do with a 360. Especially an older 360.

And how does this relate to Live? I mean presumably at somepoint they will just release an update to ban everyone that does it?
Old 22 October 2007, 12:36 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

cant play live games with backups, so no point in my book.

also, when you think of all the work that goes into produce a quality game, why rip people off??
if it wasn't for their hard work, you wouldn't have the game in the first place!!!
Old 22 October 2007, 12:42 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX_Dazza
cant play live games with backups, so no point in my book.

also, when you think of all the work that goes into produce a quality game, why rip people off??
if it wasn't for their hard work, you wouldn't have the game in the first place!!!
You can play on live and many do but at the risk of being banned at some point if MS can detect they're using a modified DVD firmware.

Not worth that risk to me and As I tend to buy games for £25-£30 and sell them on for a £5 loss it's not even that expensive to have a few good games.
Old 22 October 2007, 12:47 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

especially with the with the
quality of the games as well.

Forza 2 Xbox game vs ticket price for 90mins of football

no brainer...

call of duty 3 anyone???
Old 22 October 2007, 12:49 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

Dazza - it's a very difficult question.

As an ex-game designer / developer myself it used to break my heart seeing beta test code being leaked and circulated on the warez sites weeks before it had even been release in stores, especially as in most cases the games would still have had bugs and balancing issues to be ironed out.

However over the years I gradually woke up to the fact that most people just can't afford to buy every game on the market, and I decided that given the amount of time, effort and dedication that goes into creating these games I would rather as many people as possible played them and got enjoyment from them, rather than limiting it to the dedicated fans / people with higher disposable income.

Of course the latter depends on enough dedicated fans buying the product to cover the costs of production and publishing and making the publisher enough profit for them to want to make a sequel.

What does annoy me more than anything is those who turn piracy into a personal moneymaking exercise by selling dodgy discs en-mass.
Old 22 October 2007, 01:16 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Totally agree with the above !

I buy what I can afford, I pay taxes, I pay insurance and after they have taken all my money I'd like to enjoy myself. When I can afford to buy all the games I want, I'll do it. Untill then I'll back up my games.

I've stopped going the cinema too due to the £6.50 price tag !!!

I cant afford it.. so I have to d/l films.. and I loved the cinema.
Old 22 October 2007, 01:28 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

You're on slightly dodgy ground there pimmo.
Many people use the same excuse to steal cars and carry out street robberies. They can't and will never be able to afford things so they just steal them instead.
Old 22 October 2007, 01:34 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

lol this just gets better and better,

I can't afford all the games on the market so I buy what I can and steal the rest

I can't afford the RS4 I've been saving for but I haven't though about nicking one !! FFS remember that modded consoles and games wrecked halo2 online for a long time.
Old 22 October 2007, 01:38 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Totally agree with the above !

I buy what I can afford, I pay taxes, I pay insurance and after they have taken all my money I'd like to enjoy myself. When I can afford to buy all the games I want, I'll do it. Untill then I'll back up my games.

I've stopped going the cinema too due to the £6.50 price tag !!!

I cant afford it.. so I have to d/l films.. and I loved the cinema.
Brilliant. Because you pay taxes and insurance, it's therefore ok to steal.

You won't be complaining when you get burgled, then. So long as the person that does it is a tax payer.
Old 22 October 2007, 01:44 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

you people make me laugh....

Maybe your the same people who compare speeding to murder!

I didnt ask for your opinion and no matter what you think I'm going to carry on.

Wonder how many of you are short on money ??

In fact I bet for the sake of this thread you all are..

Right I need to get home so I'm going to rob an old lady steal her car so I can ram raid a Subaru dealership
Old 22 October 2007, 01:45 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

oh and who said I download games? you just assumed !
Old 22 October 2007, 01:47 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

edit: change of heart

I dont like fighting on these forums. Cant we just agree to disagree on this really pointless argument?

I did only try to share (for free) what I thought was useful info

Last edited by pimmo2000; 22 October 2007 at 02:45 PM.
Old 22 October 2007, 05:58 PM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Edcase
However over the years I gradually woke up to the fact that most people just can't afford to buy every game on the market, and I decided that given the amount of time, effort and dedication that goes into creating these games I would rather as many people as possible played them and got enjoyment from them, rather than limiting it to the dedicated fans / people with higher disposable income.
I'm surprised you said that!
Old 22 October 2007, 06:24 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

I've played Halo 3 for less than a week and the disc is completely scored in a circle about half the depth of the disc whereas Rainbow 6 Vegas has been in my drive since April and played for hours a day with not a scratch. How is this possible?

as for all the holier than thou people on this forum I bet you've all got a tape of a CD you didn't buy, an album on your iPod and some hookie software on your PC. Jeez.

Thanks for the info Pimmo, I for one wont be doing it although my old XBOX is a rather unused 'media centre' with a few games on it I bought, backed up and then traded in later...
Old 22 October 2007, 06:37 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RichB
as for all the holier than thou people on this forum I bet you've all got a tape of a CD you didn't buy, an album on your iPod and some hookie software on your PC. Jeez.
Old 22 October 2007, 06:38 PM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

In Pimmo's defence. The majority of us have copied at some point and normally we can't resist the temptation of having something for free

Pimmo, shame on you though ;-)
Old 22 October 2007, 07:28 PM
fatmanscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RichB
I've played Halo 3 for less than a week and the disc is completely scored in a circle about half the depth of the disc whereas Rainbow 6 Vegas has been in my drive since April and played for hours a day with not a scratch. How is this possible?

Thanks for the info Pimmo, I for one wont be doing it although my old XBOX is a rather unused 'media centre' with a few games on it I bought, backed up and then traded in later...
You have a point here.
Old 22 October 2007, 08:43 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

... heck even Jack Clark has a hacked iPhone - What's the world coming too!
Old 22 October 2007, 10:59 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Easy now, hacking an iPhone or three is a long way from stealing software. But technically you're correct.

Pimmo, my advice, next time don't come on a public forum talking about playing <cough> 'back-up' games, most of the rise you achieved could have been avoided if you'd just said you hacked it and not why.
Old 22 October 2007, 11:11 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Easy now, hacking an iPhone or three is a long way from stealing software. But technically you're correct.

Pimmo, my advice, next time don't come on a public forum talking about playing <cough> 'back-up' games, most of the rise you achieved could have been avoided if you'd just said you hacked it and not why.
I didnt say I did anything illegal
Old 22 October 2007, 11:26 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Technically speaking altering & tampering with the interlectual property of the 360 by modding it is illegal, whether you plan on playing back-up's or not.

Claiming the mods are for home brew won't wash either, it's still altered the original firmware.

I'm not having a go at you, just stating a fact.

People have argued that they have paid a fair amount of money for the console and should be able to do what they like with it, this doesn't wash either. I'm not 100% sure if anybodies been prosecuted for modding an xbox yet, but i know modder's of ps2 have been prosecuted.
Old 23 October 2007, 09:35 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

what a load of bollocks, if you cant afford "all the games" then why don't you trade some in/buy some preowned copies?

lol at scratched discs, my sega saturn discs are still not scratched, i did get a copy of grand theft auto once for the ps2 (for free) that was actually damaged, and i rang the devs up, sent in the scratched disc and got a new fresh copy for about £10, hardly bank busting stuff!

i just wish MS had a section where you could "grass up" gamertags that you know use "back ups"
Old 23 October 2007, 11:30 AM
Mr.Manchester
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
i just wish MS had a section where you could "grass up" gamertags that you know use "back ups"
By using your modded console offline your not breaking any of microshafts T&C's .
Old 23 October 2007, 11:41 AM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

So are all the people saying that playing copied games are bad have never ever copied a CD? taped a song of the radio? got some MP3's from a mate or the net?

What double-standards. Or will you try and say 'it's not the same thing'?

Of course copying games isn't right, but get off the high horses.
Old 23 October 2007, 11:56 AM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scotsman
So are all the people saying that playing copied games are bad have never ever copied a CD? taped a song of the radio? got some MP3's from a mate or the net?

What double-standards. Or will you try and say 'it's not the same thing'?

Of course copying games isn't right, but get off the high horses.

That wasn't my point with my first post,

I commented on the fact that modding the 360 was being done behind the cloke of the machine scratching disks! and not for what it was really being done for.

copy what you want I really don't care. What bothers me is some online games on the original xbox were sunk because of hackers. Halo 2 was killed for a long time after people hacked the game to jump/run/shoot faster and so on. The firmware hack is the thin end of the wedge.

Quick Reply: 360 Modded !