Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Making your Nokia a Better Phone !!

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2007, 02:12 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Making your Nokia a Better Phone !!

Ok I had toruble finding any guides for this, so after a painful few days I've worked it out and its fantastic.

Nokia phones come with firmware designed by the operator.. IE in my case Orange. This includes colours, menus and applications that to be honest are a pile of ****e and slow what would be a good phone down. Now I have an N95 but this works for anything Nokia as far as I am aware.

Right Nokia has an application called Nokia Software Updater which allows you to check for updates for your phone, fixing bugs etc.

Due to Service providers being behind the times there versions are always a few versions behind... however the updater knows which firmware you have and will only let you update if a new version has been developed by your provider.

Heres what you do to allow you phone to have the latest version and completely debranded !

1. Make sure you have Nokia PC Suite installed on your PC and it is able to detect your phone. (phone needs to be connected now)

2. Download the Nokia Update from there web site and install but dont run.

3. Down load a program called NSS bottom of this page Software

Install Nemesis Service Suite. Open the program and then click the "Scan for new Device" icon in the top right of the screen. The screen should then be filled with information, click the "Phone Info" button at the top of the screen. Then click the "Read" button. Amongst other things this will show you the current product code of your phone. You now need to change this to a generic Nokia code. A standard code for the UK that you can use is 0534841. Replace the current product code with this new code. Then check the enable box and click the "Write button". You have now changed your phones product code! You can double check this by clicking the read button again, this should show your new product code.

BACK UP YOUR PHONE BEFORE DOING THE NEXT STEP IT WILL BE WIPED.

Run the updater and allow it to find and update your phone !

10-15 minutes later your phone will reboot and all will be well !!

Well worth doing and saves you the £35 charged in nokia shops !

Old 05 October 2007, 02:26 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

loads of bricked phones coming up i rekon
Old 05 October 2007, 02:27 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine works...