Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Airport express running slow...

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2007, 09:54 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airport express running slow...

Ive had some woes with my imac and OS X of late (thanks to help from the mac gurus esp. Markus on here) and recently I had a nasty disk failure. I bought a copy of diskwarrior which repaired the faults and allowed me to then do an archive and install of OS X and keep all my user accounts, files the lot.

Great I thought but having since done this everything seems to work fine with the exception of airport. It runs ok but is definately slower than it used to be and I cannot work out why. When OS X starts I get the little funnel in the menu bar and it shows full strength. The minute I start mail or firefox or safari it drops a bar and browsing is slower than it used to be.

Any ideas why anyone?

Cheers

Gary
Old 17 September 2007, 11:34 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Silly question, have you rebooted the Airport Express recently, if not then give it a shot, preferably via Airport Admin utility. My express is usually ok but my extreme does decide to go wonky now and then and a reboot usually seems to fix it.

There have been a few recent airport updates, so double check software update to see if you're missing an airport update.

Have you moved anything around recently, maybe placed a monitor/TV of the CRT type near the computer or the express? Could be some type of shielding is happening.

Only other thing I can think of is to perform a factory reset on the express and reconfigure it and see if that makes any difference at all.

Last edited by Markus; 17 September 2007 at 11:37 PM.
Old 18 September 2007, 09:36 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Hi Markus,

No havent moved anything.

However just run up airport admin and it cant even see the base station. Doing a rescan or manual entry just doesnt find it at all, its weird because you *can* surf the net its just slow. I'm not sure what to do now, how do you factory reset express?

Cheers

Gary
Old 18 September 2007, 12:06 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Factory reset for Airport

Resetting AirPort Express

Dan
Old 18 September 2007, 01:25 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Thanks Dan, actually I think I am clouding the issue. Its not an airport base station, I am connecting to a 3com wireless router on my imac.

Gary
Old 18 September 2007, 01:31 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I'm guessing when you say "airport express" you just mean the built in airport card on the machine then, rather than the actual airport express base station, is this correct?

There isn't a reset for the built in airport card, but what you could do is to turn it off (select airport off from the funnel menu) and then reboot, turn it back on, and see if you still have a problem.

Also, does the wireless router allow you to wire directly to it, as in plug in an ethernet cable. If so, then plug in the mac directly to the router and see what the speed is like. It might be that it's slow wired or wireless.

If you've not tried it, give the router a reboot, see if that helps at all.
Old 18 September 2007, 02:22 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

As above really - same deal, different manufacturer!! go to 3com's site and get the factory reset for your wifi router. Don't forget to make note of all the settings!!!

Dan

Trending Topics

Old 21 September 2007, 06:21 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

A little bump as I've possibly found something that might help if the other stuff did not.

There is this post on macintouch about airport issues. It references a post on this (search for number6 to see the post). Basically it says to delete/move the AirportEnabler.ktext item if your base station isnt 802.11n.

Might be worth a shot if you're still having problems.
Old 24 September 2007, 01:05 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Another bump as I found the following info at macwindows.com:

Nello Pensieri in Rome, Italy, describes how he fixed a problem with AirPort and a non-Apple base station:

I got a MacBook Pro a month ago with 10.4.10 pre-installed. For three days I searched for the reason why AirPort wasn't communicating with my Linksys WRT54G. While I saw some of net problems discussed at MacWindows (slow browsing, connection dropping every 10 minutes and so on), I didn't see a fix, and found nothing at the Linksys web site.The trick was changing the wireless channel of my AirPort to nr. 5 (2.432GHz). Now everything's working fine. Anyone with a problem working with AirPort and a base station other than Apple's Airport Base Station must try to optimize her AP configuration to meet the best of client.

Might be worth trying that to see if it helps.
Old 24 September 2007, 05:01 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Thanks Markus for your continued help and support!

Im going to try what you suggested later. If that fails its going to a service centre so they can have a look! Everything was running fine until I had my hard drive crash and then did an archive and install. Ever since its not been right.

Gary
Old 24 September 2007, 09:21 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Markus,

well what can I say, tried that fix and looking ok at the moment! Im getting full strength on the wireless indicator and when I used ping the router I got dropped packets which Im not getting, fingers crossed. Im not even running 10.4.10 by the way and Im reluctant to upgrade.

Hopefully I can repay the favour one day if you ever need any help with sql server/win32/.net development and accounting packages

Gary