Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

iPhone

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2007, 09:32 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Default iPhone

Wow! Not sure if the experience will be the same for PC users but I connected it to my Mac - after Hacktivating it - and everything just worked, email, wireless web, iTunes, iPhoto, Calendar, everything is in sync and working. Didn't have to do a thing.

Very impressed so far, just a shame the phone doesn't work.
Old 10 September 2007, 12:28 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mobile software does seem to be improving at last. Good to hear that the iPhone stuff is ok.

I was equally impressed with my Nokia N95. Just plugged it into the laptop, sync'd it up, and email wireless web, calendar, photos, video, radio, mp3 etc all works ootb as well. Got some decent games on it as well. If the Nokia expeince can be so good, there's no reason why the Apple experience can't be as well
Old 10 September 2007, 09:08 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Yeah, but your phone works .

One strange thing, the time has been correct ever since turning it on, but it thinks it's in California and I can't change it's mind.
Old 10 September 2007, 07:27 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Jack,
Have a look at the Date and Time section of this document.

I'm going to take a guess that the Time Zone Support is not enabled, and it's using the default setting of California. Once you have enabled that option you should be able to go into a Time Zone setting ansd change the Time Zone to whatever you like.

Last edited by Markus; 10 September 2007 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10 September 2007, 09:03 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

jack you barsteward how dare you flaunt one before we all get one from 02 sells them

now whats your number so we can all call you and give you abuse..oh we cant
Old 10 September 2007, 09:20 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Close Marcus, there's a slider named set automaticaly, slide that to 'no' and you can choose London.

Bloody shame this one is going back on Friday. I'm sat here babysitting listening to the black eyed peas, typing on snet and my emails are arriving. Add a phone and this is 'the' device.

Web browsing is very much acceptable now I've sussed the double tap and you should see the drop down box on this site, bloody lovely.
Old 10 September 2007, 10:13 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Check out the roller!!
Old 10 September 2007, 10:14 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

git
Old 10 September 2007, 11:11 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by SwissTony
git

Pretty sure it's going back on Friday, unless I can blag it for longer, Would I buy one, not without a working phone, although it's a weapon even without one. Nokia and all the other phone producers should be quaking in their boots.
Old 11 September 2007, 02:14 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Jack,
It is possible to get all of it working in the UK, you just need a TurboSIM, then you can use any SIM card you like. I know someone in the UK who has done this.
Old 11 September 2007, 09:17 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Nice find, not sure how I missed that one!! Nice and easy tutorial here Setting Up TurboSIM Using Just The iPhone
Old 11 September 2007, 12:56 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

It's alleged the full software unlock will be released to resellers this week, price point of aprox $99. There was another engadget video yesterday showing the full unlock using the iphonesimfree software, looks rather nice.
Of course, Apple could block whatever method they are using to do this and this raises the point of what iphonesimfree will do. Do you get another free unlock once the unlock method is cracked again, or do you have to pay another $99 to get it unlocked. I'd rather wait for the dev team (hackintosh/iphone wiki) to crack it as they'll release whatever they have for free, or at least donation-ware, and they will work on updates when needed.
Old 11 September 2007, 02:01 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

But the big question on erveyones lips is . . . will it blend ?

YouTube - Will It Blend? - iPhone
Old 11 September 2007, 02:43 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I think I'll wait for the official version and subscription, the unlimited data is a huge draw, on my current plan if I left it switched on or on standby it'd rack up a huge bill just picking up emails.
Old 11 September 2007, 03:45 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
I think I'll wait for the official version and subscription, the unlimited data is a huge draw, on my current plan if I left it switched on or on standby it'd rack up a huge bill just picking up emails.
I agree with you, unless you have or can get an unlimited or very cheap data plan it's not worth getting an iPhone if you're not in the US. If you have such a plan, go for it. I'm hoping Rogers will have a similar plan to AT&T, and I'd have thought Apple would push them to do this, and they'll no doubt do the same for the European/UK release.

From the comment about standby, I'm guessing you saw the article on the chap with a $4800 bill from AT&T when he took his phone with him on holiday abroad?
Old 11 September 2007, 04:03 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Exactly the same article, and backed up by the bloody thing letting me know emails were arriving all night, had to wait until this morning to work out how to turn it off*, no manual comes with the phone just a few tips!

*you hold down the standby button.
Old 11 September 2007, 04:33 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

What I'm curious about is wether "Sleep" is mentioned when you press the standby button, if so then then that is a little misleading as when I sleep my computers they are trully asleep and cannot be communicated with, which is the idea of sleep. If Apple is claiming that when you press the standby button the phone is sleeping then it's misleading, to say the least, as it's not sleeping and this incident shows this.
Granted the chap could/should have turned off the ability to collect emails and other things, plus he should have trully turned the phone off rather than "sleeping" it, however, if the documentation Apple supplies does not clearly state what the standby function does/does not do, then one could argue they are at fault.

One amusing comment from someone was "Tell him to take the battery out of his cell phone to turn it off. Oh, wait a min..."
Old 11 September 2007, 04:35 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Jack, Does a printed version of this come with the iPhone? Looking at page 10, the button on the top of the phone is listed as "Sleep/Wake button", which as said above, to me, is misleading. I'm going to have a read through and see what it actually says about this button.
Old 11 September 2007, 04:44 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Page 14 makes mention of how to Lock and Unlock the phone, and how to completelty turn it off. It mentions that when the phone is locked, you can still receive calls and text messages. Does not mention anything about emails though, probably should do.

What I find a little confusing is the use of the term Lock/Unlock. The button is labeled as the "Sleep/Wake button" Yet most, if not all references state the function as being to Lock/Unlock, thus should it not be called the "Lock/Unlock button"? If I were to press the button to "Sleep" my iPhone I would expect it to be sleeping in the same way a computer would, hence why I find it confusing, from a terminolgy not a technical viewpoint.
Old 11 September 2007, 04:45 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

The box I was given had already been opened, but I don't think it does, just a little tips booklet.
Old 11 September 2007, 08:39 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

$4800
Old 11 September 2007, 09:01 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Roaming data rate apparently. Wouldn't take too many emails with chunky attachments to rack up that sort of bill. I rang up a ten grand phone bill once by taking my PC to the US, it was the days of dial up and having my UK PC on the LAN kept the connection to the UK office open, company coughed up.
Old 12 September 2007, 09:13 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Free unlock came out last night, I'm on the case.
Old 12 September 2007, 09:21 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

That was quick

Free iPhone Software Unlock Guide
Old 12 September 2007, 11:52 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Free's my favorite price, but I bet a lot of people paid for the unlock!! Mines at 50% now, a few minutes more and I should be using it on T-Mobile.
Old 12 September 2007, 12:59 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Just woken up and seen the dev team have got their free unlock out. Bloody good chaps! Jack, let us know if it does work.
Old 12 September 2007, 02:20 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Now working with T-Mobile, the unlock is not for the faint hearted and a lot of the instructions are a bit wrong, I had to use a combination of about three sets to get it going, phone works great, just need to sync it back up and we're away. Just in time to give it back!!
Old 12 September 2007, 02:33 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Typical eh Jack! Good to know it does work though. There is meant to be a GUI version appearing rather soon, so that should make things a little easier for people.

The real test will be when 1.0.3 comes out (I'm predicting it'll be at the Paris Expo. I think we'll see a 16GB iPhone released, as it would match the iPod Touch range - 8GB and 16GB - New version, new software update, makes a lot of sense) and breaks the unlock. How long until the team crack it again. Also, what will iphonesimfree do with regards to fixing their software and existing customers, will you have to pay another $99 to unlock the phone, or will they give you a couple of free unlocks for your $99?

Last edited by Markus; 12 September 2007 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12 September 2007, 03:56 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

GUI version would be awesome, this took me the better part of a working day to complete and re-sync. That includes quite a few **** ups on my part.

Any how, here's the proof pic.
Old 12 September 2007, 04:30 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Jack, Check your PM's.

Quick Reply: iPhone