Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Very Unstable BT Broadband

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2007, 09:21 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Very Unstable BT Broadband

For the last 2 weeks my bt broadband has been very unstable...it will work for say 5/10/15 minutes and then just go off. If I unplug my modem and come back to it it will come back on. (all the lights come back on the modem)

I have spoke to bt in bloody India and he can't find a fault, he said it might be the filters that need changing, however I've got 3 so how do I go about testing them ?

Haven't changed any settings and have run Spybot to eliminate any viruses...

Help !

Old 09 September 2007, 09:26 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

ditch the home hub (assume you have one)
Old 09 September 2007, 09:46 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
ditch the home hub (assume you have one)
Don't have a home hub...
Old 09 September 2007, 10:07 PM
D16GER
Scooby Regular

Quite possibly your modem/router is screwed. I had similar issues last year and after several nightmare calls to Tech Support in New Delhi, I gave up on them and bought a new router. Ever since all has been well. May have been a coincidence, but I doubt it.
Old 09 September 2007, 11:24 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

as above, mine was crap, i ditched the homehub and got a new router and it was spot on afterwards
Old 10 September 2007, 07:59 AM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Ok I'll try a new router...can you buy them so I can do away with my filters ? Any reccomendations ?

Thanks
Old 10 September 2007, 09:11 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its not going to be your filters.. ADSL tech support always blame the filters, the cables, the extension, the line... it bloody worked yesterday !!

Does the modem drop the connection?

Watch the lights on the modem. If the connection (ADSL) light starts to flash... or basically on a router any light starts flashing that didnt before the router or the line is faulty.

Phone them up and say you've changed the filters, plugged directly into the main socket, BT have tested your line and your router drops connection even when the PC is turned off, so its either them or the router they have supplied and you want a new router... please.

Saves all the BULL **** they spin.. they will say they need to get 2nd line to call you... 9/10 no one will call so ask for their name and extension number and location. Or managers name. Be polite but make sure they know you mean business.

PM me if you get stuck.
Old 10 September 2007, 09:12 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terzo 333
Ok I'll try a new router...can you buy them so I can do away with my filters ? Any reccomendations ?

Thanks
You can buy any ADSL router but the filters split the signal from Phone calls to Internet basically so you need them no matter what.

Unless you run your phone through your Router.. but then that would only be on one socket.
Old 10 September 2007, 10:54 AM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Its not going to be your filters.. ADSL tech support always blame the filters, the cables, the extension, the line... it bloody worked yesterday !!

Does the modem drop the connection?

Watch the lights on the modem. If the connection (ADSL) light starts to flash... or basically on a router any light starts flashing that didnt before the router or the line is faulty.

Phone them up and say you've changed the filters, plugged directly into the main socket, BT have tested your line and your router drops connection even when the PC is turned off, so its either them or the router they have supplied and you want a new router... please.

Saves all the BULL **** they spin.. they will say they need to get 2nd line to call you... 9/10 no one will call so ask for their name and extension number and location. Or managers name. Be polite but make sure they know you mean business.

PM me if you get stuck.
Thanks for your help

Yes the modem drops the connection as some lights go out...I've had a look on ebay and I can get a replacement modem for about £15...I'd rather do this than be on hold for half an hour only to have to speak to some idiot in Pakistan that I don't understand and who doesn't understand me...
Old 10 September 2007, 11:11 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terzo 333
Thanks for your help

Yes the modem drops the connection as some lights go out...I've had a look on ebay and I can get a replacement modem for about £15...I'd rather do this than be on hold for half an hour only to have to speak to some idiot in Pakistan that I don't understand and who doesn't understand me...

The problem is if its not the router you've wasted money on a new one.

If they supplied the router, get them to replace it for free !
Old 10 September 2007, 11:15 AM
s60r
Scooby Regular

yes hads exactly same.
if your in your first year its under warranty - ring them tell them engineer has checked all and its the modem/router and they send you the latest foc.

if no warranty - then go buy new adsl modem and all will be fine.

mine was a voyager and lasted 8 months before it went kapput.

good luck
Old 10 September 2007, 03:02 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

first things first is it a router modem you have or just a modem (usb type?)
If it is just the usb type modem then ditch it and get a router, probably find it will solve your problems straight away.

If it is a router modem that you already have then how is it connected? Is it connected through a telephone extension cable etc?

have a look at

DSL ZoneUK - broadband for everyone

there are sections on there with regards to wiring and what to look for
Old 10 September 2007, 05:11 PM
ESH
Scooby Regular

I've never had a probelm with my D-Link router. In the past I've used Belkin and Netgear and had issues as described by you. In almost 2 years of ownership its not timed out or dropped my connection.

As for BT they have an attrocious helpdesk who are totally pants at dealing with even basic issues. I hope its only a hardware issue and does not need to be referred.

Regards