Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

XBox 360 Elite - Avoid!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2007, 09:37 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XBox 360 Elite - Avoid!!!!

MS have still not fixed their problems with reliability - my latest one lasted less than 5 minutes.
Old 08 September 2007, 09:49 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Care to elaborate? Was tempted with the trade in as my original 360 is a tad on the loud side.
Old 08 September 2007, 09:54 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Its almost getting a total joke now, microsoft needs to sort this out. The problem is that no matter how bad the 360 is its the games that sell it, which is a shame because no matter how crap microsoft 360 hardware is you will always forgive and forget because of the game titles
Old 08 September 2007, 09:56 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Well, it's certainly not quieter - if anything the DVD drive is noisier than my old 360.

Switched it on, set it up and then inserted the Bioshock Disc (brand new - no scratches), it started stuttering for about 5 seconds on the introduction and I though it had froze, but it carried on for a couple of minutes and then the screen just went black. No response from the controller, had to turn off the power.

When I restarted it just powers on and makes noises with nothing on the screen and no connection can be made between the controller and console.

Exactly the same thing happened to my last 360. (Launch model)
Old 08 September 2007, 09:57 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5SCOTT
Its almost getting a total joke now, microsoft needs to sort this out. The problem is that no matter how bad the 360 is its the games that sell it, which is a shame because no matter how crap microsoft 360 hardware is you will always forgive and forget because of the game titles
Sadly there is no real alternative.
Old 08 September 2007, 11:24 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

whats the manf date, and what drive does it have?

Mart
Old 09 September 2007, 12:22 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Manufactured 14/07/07
120GB HDD (Made in Thailand) - that's all I know.
Old 09 September 2007, 12:41 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I traded my launch day xbox in for the elite, both have been fine, bioshock is one of the most silent games todate, maybe look at how your 360 is positioned ? plently of air flow,

My new elite is not only quieter but a hell of a lot cooler, it seems the only people with problems are repeat offenders. Ask yourself why?
Old 09 September 2007, 12:54 AM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Well, it's certainly not quieter - if anything the DVD drive is noisier than my old 360
Cheers for the info, i'll hang on to mine until it dies now. Seems ok just the odd disc read error and it does get used a lot.
Old 09 September 2007, 12:57 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bugeyeandy
Cheers for the info, i'll hang on to mine until it dies now. Seems ok just the odd disc read error and it does get used a lot.
Good to see you listen to the rantings of an idiot.
Old 09 September 2007, 12:59 AM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

I thought the elite was just the same as the old 360 other than the HDMI output. The new cooler running chip set has not been launched yet....so I was told anyway.
Old 09 September 2007, 01:01 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T5OLF
I thought the elite was just the same as the old 360 other than the HDMI output. The new chip set has not been launched yet....so I was told anyway.
It is basically the same, only most have the ben-q dvd drive, and the modified heatsink and fans, new chipsets are manufactured this november.
Old 09 September 2007, 01:16 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob269
My new elite is not only quieter but a hell of a lot cooler, it seems the only people with problems are repeat offenders. Ask yourself why?
As I said above, the machine was barely turned on for 5 minutes.

In any case this is a flawed product, it's had an incredibly high return rate. It is also an "off the shelf" consumer product that is designed to be used in peoples lounges - not air-conditioned data-centres where people have to think about cooling and airflow.
Old 09 September 2007, 08:13 AM
P1_BEN
Scooby Regular

Mine had ring of death last week, 1 year and 3 days after being bought, got to go back to MS for 25 day turn around
Old 09 September 2007, 08:26 AM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

It is basically the same, only most have the ben-q dvd drive, and the modified heatsink and fans, new chipsets are manufactured this november.
Thanks Bob, not quite sure what you meant with your other post though.
I'd rather wait for the newer cool running version
Old 09 September 2007, 11:26 AM
Thunder77
Scooby Regular

Traded mine in for an Elite. Its quieter, but not much. Very annoying that they can't sort this out.
Old 09 September 2007, 11:48 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

The machine is definitely a lot quieter, however the DVD drive was noisier on mine - I'll swap the machine today and see of the next one is as noisy.
Old 09 September 2007, 12:16 PM
VoteConservative!
BANNED

Well the PS3 software list is getting beefier by each day, so soon some of you guys will have an option.
Old 09 September 2007, 04:04 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by VoteConservative!
Well the PS3 software list is getting beefier by each day, so soon some of you guys will have an option.
where?? and what option....

my local gamestation store has 3 on 2nd hand sale at £359 with games and they cant shift them......

until the games arrive and the hardware settles to an acceptable price, posts like this are going to continue for time in memorial

Mods lock the thread plz

Mart
Old 09 September 2007, 05:53 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Game in Brighton has PS3s for £325.

Got it replaced at Gamestation, they are having a lot of Elites returned, the guy that worked there commented that his friend was on his third already.
Old 09 September 2007, 08:51 PM
VoteConservative!
BANNED

Originally Posted by mart360
where?? and what option....

my local gamestation store has 3 on 2nd hand sale at £359 with games and they cant shift them......

until the games arrive and the hardware settles to an acceptable price, posts like this are going to continue for time in memorial

Mods lock the thread plz

Mart
You can get a PS3 with 2 games for £400.

Anyway I bet the PS3 owners are laughing, they can play their machines without giving any RoD any thought
Old 09 September 2007, 09:02 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
Game in Brighton has PS3s for £325.

Got it replaced at Gamestation, they are having a lot of Elites returned, the guy that worked there commented that his friend was on his third already.
thats actualy just pure comedy

i love my 360 but its plain to see that its probably going to blow up as its an older model, MS has commited to massive costs increasing the warrenty to 3 years, especially when the new "fix" turns out to be worse then before

edit: dohh the picture didnt work anyway heres a subaru 360 i just found

Last edited by StickyMicky; 09 September 2007 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09 September 2007, 11:33 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Maybe when theres some games worth spending some hours on the ps3 then we'll see them start to fry, people seem to overlook the major dvd drive issues the ps2 had. There is a lot of people with their names on the 360 gamertag list and only a few with any issues, yes when you send it back for repair you just get a botched repair hence the same problems again, this is what makes the numbers higher than they really are, i personally dont know anybody who's had issues with launch day machines.
Old 09 September 2007, 11:39 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
As I said above, the machine was barely turned on for 5 minutes.

In any case this is a flawed product, it's had an incredibly high return rate. It is also an "off the shelf" consumer product that is designed to be used in peoples lounges - not air-conditioned data-centres where people have to think about cooling and airflow.
Compare this with the amount of nokias for example that get returned, its expected in electronics, its no worse than any other product,

Basically, the point i'm making is don't make a thread telling people not to buy something just because you have had issues when clearly they have millions of happy trouble free units in homes all over the world.

Last edited by bob269; 09 September 2007 at 11:53 PM.
Old 10 September 2007, 12:14 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Looks like my 4th replacement 360 is going wrong. It's just started freezing up after playing for about 5 minutes. No rod, so MS want to charge me £80 for the pleasure of fixing it. I told them to take a running jump.

I wouldn't mind if the unit was treated badly, but it's got very good airflow all around (at least 1-2 feet), and it sits on top of a glass hifi shelf, so no heat build up etc, and I've treated it (like all my stuff) with kid gloves. They are good machines while they are working, but as flaky as hell.

I have about 20 mates / work colleagues all with 360's, and over a dozen of them are on at least their 3rd. Not a great statistic is it? MS have really dropped the ball imo. If there were any decent games for the PS3, I'd be jumping ship quicker than you would believe...
Old 10 September 2007, 12:38 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

as you can see my first one had alot of air around it and it bang! they are **** but i love it!

Forza seems to send mine into a frenzy of death at least every other day!
Old 10 September 2007, 12:43 AM
Mr.Manchester
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by VoteConservative!
I knew you would post on this thread.....

Just face it the PS3 has no content or future content that entertains me and you can find them a lot cheaper than £400 with 2 games in most shops.

My mate just picked up a used UK PS3 in the loot for £250.
Old 10 September 2007, 12:45 AM
Mr.Manchester
Scooby Regular

PS, Console number one is upright due to lack of surface space in the bedroom...

Console two is lay flat on a shelf in the livingroom.
Old 10 September 2007, 09:11 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob269
Compare this with the amount of nokias for example that get returned, its expected in electronics, its no worse than any other product,

Basically, the point i'm making is don't make a thread telling people not to buy something just because you have had issues when clearly they have millions of happy trouble free units in homes all over the world.
You are talking absolute rubbish bob. And coming across as the biggest MS apologist.

The expected failure rate in Consumer Electronics is around 2% - That's what you aim for (At least, that's what every company I have worked for as an electronics engineer has aimed for - Apart from the millitary stuff)

MS are hitting around 30-40% - It is utterly, utterly dreadful.

Hopefully the 60nm units will come along soon and this issue wilkl be resigned to history, but for now, it is a very real problem for a huige anount of people
Old 10 September 2007, 05:08 PM
VoteConservative!
BANNED

Originally Posted by Iain Young
Looks like my 4th replacement 360 is going wrong. It's just started freezing up after playing for about 5 minutes. No rod, so MS want to charge me £80 for the pleasure of fixing it. I told them to take a running jump.

I wouldn't mind if the unit was treated badly, but it's got very good airflow all around (at least 1-2 feet), and it sits on top of a glass hifi shelf, so no heat build up etc, and I've treated it (like all my stuff) with kid gloves. They are good machines while they are working, but as flaky as hell.

I have about 20 mates / work colleagues all with 360's, and over a dozen of them are on at least their 3rd. Not a great statistic is it? MS have really dropped the ball imo. If there were any decent games for the PS3, I'd be jumping ship quicker than you would believe...
Turn your 360 on and cover it with a few blankets. That will make the RoD come

Quick Reply: XBox 360 Elite - Avoid!!!!