Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wii - fastest selling console in the UK - EVER!

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2007, 12:44 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wii - fastest selling console in the UK - EVER!

Listen closely and you can hear the sound of champagne corks popping over at Nintendo's UK HQ as the company celebrates record-breaking sales by Wii.

In nine months, the console has sold over one million units, making it the fastest selling console on these shores ever - say figures compiled by the official stat crunchers at ChartTrack.

To put it into perspective, PS2 topped one million sales in 50 weeks, the Xbox 360 60 weeks in the UK.

"The non-stop demand for Wii even in the traditionally slow sales periods for video games in the UK is clearly behind this record breaking achievement", Nintendo said in a statement of joy.

"The performance of both systems [Wii and DS] appears to indicate that unprecedented interactive entertainment experiences, provided by a combination of the revolutionary nature of DS and Wii with the increasing number of unique software titles for the system from Nintendo and third parties, are being enjoyed by both avid and new gamers of all ages."

Wii big hitters Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3, which are just around the corner, will inevitably further drive console sales in the run up to Christmas and give the hardcore players something to shout about.

source: Gaming News, Reviews, Previews, Cheats & Tips - ComputerAndVideoGames.com
Old 30 August 2007, 12:47 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Well done Wii!

<rant>
And can I just add, I hate this style of reporting.

"Wii does a million in 9 months!

It took PS2 50 weeks and 360 60 weeks!"

9 months? Wow, that numbers, only like a "9", and the PS2 and 360 were "50" and "60" - That means there are quite literally years apart.

Why not just write, you know, 36 weeks. You cvnts.

I know, because you wouldn't be able to be so fvcking sensationalist.

</rant>
Old 30 August 2007, 12:51 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

agrred - still though, good effort , eh ?
Old 30 August 2007, 12:51 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Old 30 August 2007, 12:54 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

they all do!

Old 30 August 2007, 12:56 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although lots have been sold how many are still played on with the plethora of game titles it has

My mate has one (from launch) played it for about a month and don't think we touched it since.
Old 30 August 2007, 12:59 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

It great to see Nintendo up there... However, what I want is...

Recognition by Ninty that Europe isn't some backwater third world country.
Some games, please.
Some decent use of the WiiMote by third party devcos.
Old 30 August 2007, 01:07 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
It great to see Nintendo up there... However, what I want is...

Recognition by Ninty that Europe isn't some backwater third world country.
Some games, please.
Some decent use of the WiiMote by third party devcos.
cheer up Pete - at least the abhorrent PAL conversions have stopped
Old 30 August 2007, 01:38 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Its a must have item, even my wife wanted one, much broader appeal than the other next gen consoles, however much more capable they may be.

Nintendo knew they couldn't compete on Polygon counts and pipeline whatsits so they used creativity and therye wealth of know how, Sony and Microsoft are comparative newcomers to Nintendo who have been in the games world since it started practically, whilst the others were getting smug about performance and big numbers Nintendo quietly got on with it.

That said ours never gets used.
Old 30 August 2007, 01:46 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

The 2 of my mates who own a wii both havent touched them since the initial few days of purchase and both have games still in the wrapping.

For the majority of owners I think it was a fad purchase, Nintendo need some good marketing to keep those people interested, maybe things like the wii fit will revitalise peoples interest.

Obviously they still have their hardcore fans who bought it on its merits.
Old 30 August 2007, 02:12 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob269
The 2 of my mates who own a wii both havent touched them since the initial few days of purchase and both have games still in the wrapping.
wot, like the PS3 you mean ?
Old 30 August 2007, 02:15 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Nintendo knew they couldn't compete on Polygon counts and pipeline whatsits so they used creativity and therye wealth of know how, Sony and Microsoft are comparative newcomers to Nintendo who have been in the games world since it started practically, whilst the others were getting smug about performance and big numbers Nintendo quietly got on with it.
That said ours never gets used.

Nintendo could've competed with "polygon counts" if they'd wanted to (Gamecube was more powerful than PS2 for example) but chose to focus on other things - and judging by sales figures, they made the right call. Unlike Sony and to a lesser extent Microsoft, they don't lose money on each Wii sold.

Last edited by spectrum48k; 30 August 2007 at 02:18 PM.
Old 30 August 2007, 02:27 PM
DanPhillips
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spectrum48k

Nintendo could've competed with "polygon counts" if they'd wanted to (Gamecube was more powerful than PS2 for example) but chose to focus on other things - and judging by sales figures, they made the right call. Unlike Sony and to a lesser extent Microsoft, they don't lose money on each Wii sold.
No they couldn't...they didn't with the GameCube it was an ATI chip, this time Microsoft tied them up so they couldn't work with another console company (IIRC)
NVidia were tied up with Sony...Matrox don't compete anymore, not many people capable of keeping up with NVidia and ATI at a reasonable cost and they wouldn't have been able to do it internally.

Cheers

Dan

ps. still got my Wii, but haven't played it for a bit waiting for Metroid
Old 30 August 2007, 02:29 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

2 workmates had one as they said they couldnt stretch to a 360 or PS3, both reckon it was a false economy and should have waited. One has been sold and the other never gets used.
Old 30 August 2007, 02:33 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

wot, like the PS3 you mean ?
No, the PS3 is still in the wrapping, awaiting some games

Only kidding Sony boys
Old 30 August 2007, 03:06 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DanPhillips
No they couldn't...they didn't with the GameCube it was an ATI chip, this time Microsoft tied them up so they couldn't work with another console company (IIRC)
NVidia were tied up with Sony...Matrox don't compete anymore, not many people capable of keeping up with NVidia and ATI at a reasonable cost and they wouldn't have been able to do it internally.

Cheers

Dan

ps. still got my Wii, but haven't played it for a bit waiting for Metroid
When I said Nintnedo could've competed polygon count wise , I wasn't referring to them developing their own in house solution. They sub-contracted in SGI for N64, ATI for Gamecube (as you stated), and could've done the same for Wii if needed.
Old 30 August 2007, 03:09 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

When I said Nintnedo could've competed polygon count wise , I wasn't referring to them developing their own in house solution. They sub-contracted in SGI for N64, ATI for Gamecube (as you stated), and could've done the same for Wii if needed.

But to who I think is Dans' point.

ATI and nVidia weren't an option.
Old 30 August 2007, 03:19 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

But to who I think is Dans' point.

ATI and nVidia weren't an option.
Who ? What about the most successful pc graphics company in the industry ?
Old 30 August 2007, 03:20 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Old 30 August 2007, 03:28 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Do intel make decent highend gfx processors tho ? They may be the biggest due to most standard pcs shipping with them. Most gamer people then throw them away in favour of an ATI/Nvidia
Old 30 August 2007, 03:31 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Who ? What about the most successful pc graphics company in the industry ?
No expertise in GFX though really have they. That's not to say they couldn't adapt. But lets face it, an Intel GMA is hardly up there with an 8800GTX.

It would be a big risk to get into bed with a company with no track record in GFX processing for a console.
Old 30 August 2007, 04:27 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

No expertise in GFX though really have they. That's not to say they couldn't adapt. But lets face it, an Intel GMA is hardly up there with an 8800GTX.

It would be a big risk to get into bed with a company with no track record in GFX processing for a console.
Intel CHOSE that mainstream sector of the graphics market. I'd imagine if a company like Intel , with $35 Billion in revenue, wanted to dabble in the not as profitable high-end graphics sector, they'd have the resources to do so
Old 30 August 2007, 04:35 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Intel CHOSE that mainstream sector of the graphics market. I'd imagine if a company like Intel , with $35 Billion in revenue, wanted to dabble in the not as profitable high-end graphics sector, they'd have the resources to do so
Indeed, but as the figures show, there is money to be made in the higher end of the market - Given ATI's and NVidias respective turnover - Why aren't Intel chasing that market too?

It's not as if they don't cater for all markets in the CPU field - So why not in the GPU field?

I don't pretend to know the answer, but I have always wondered why they have never come up with a decent GPU.
Old 30 August 2007, 04:38 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Indeed, but as the figures show, there is money to be made in the higher end of the market - Given ATI's and NVidias respective turnover - Why aren't Intel chasing that market too?

It's not as if they don't cater for all markets in the CPU field - So why not in the GPU field?

I don't pretend to know the answer, but I have always wondered why they have never come up with a decent GPU.
I don't know - why don't Toyota build Ferrari's ?

answer = they don't need to, and they're happy to leave it to others

Last edited by spectrum48k; 30 August 2007 at 04:40 PM.
Old 30 August 2007, 04:43 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I don't know - why don't Toyota build Ferrari's ?

answer = they don't need to, and they're happy to leave it to others

Not sure that it's quite the same.

NVidias and ATIs market share added together is more than intels. You couldn't say the same for, say, Ferrari and Lambourghini combined selling more than Honda.

Still, they are obviously happy as they are. - But, we are still left with the question of could they come up with a decent GPU in the time frame for a console. I personally doubt it. They don't have the history of development in GPU design to draw on that nVidia and ATI do.

All academic really though.
Old 30 August 2007, 04:47 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

[way out theory]

Besides, the CPU will absorb the 3D accelerator anyway, in time.

Either that, or the other way around!

[/way out theory]

Old 30 August 2007, 04:51 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Not sure that it's quite the same.

NVidias and ATIs market share added together is more than intels. You couldn't say the same for, say, Ferrari and Lambourghini combined selling more than Honda.

Still, they are obviously happy as they are. - But, we are still left with the question of could they come up with a decent GPU in the time frame for a console. I personally doubt it. They don't have the history of development in GPU design to draw on that nVidia and ATI do.
Remember SGI, a much smaller company, came up with the goods for Nintendo, without any track record either and gave us Super Mario, Goldeneye, etc...

All academic really though.
Agreed
Old 30 August 2007, 04:52 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob269

For the majority of owners I think it was a fad purchase, Nintendo need some good marketing to keep those people interested, maybe things like the wii fit will revitalise peoples interest.

Obviously they still have their hardcore fans who bought it on its merits.
Lol, to update my recent post, 1 of the guys has just traded his 360 + wii for an Elite

Last edited by bob269; 30 August 2007 at 04:55 PM.
Old 30 August 2007, 04:54 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Remember SGI, a much smaller company, came up with the goods for Nintendo, without any track record either and gave us Super Mario, Goldeneye, etc..
Yup, good point...

Ahh the memories
Old 30 August 2007, 05:22 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Nintendo never have lost money on any console. That's not how they do business.

Quick Reply: Wii - fastest selling console in the UK - EVER!