ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Wii - fastest selling console in the UK - EVER! (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/631209-wii-fastest-selling-console-in-the-uk-ever.html)

spectrum48k 30 August 2007 12:44 PM

Wii - fastest selling console in the UK - EVER!

Listen closely and you can hear the sound of champagne corks popping over at Nintendo's UK HQ as the company celebrates record-breaking sales by Wii.

In nine months, the console has sold over one million units, making it the fastest selling console on these shores ever - say figures compiled by the official stat crunchers at ChartTrack.

To put it into perspective, PS2 topped one million sales in 50 weeks, the Xbox 360 60 weeks in the UK.

"The non-stop demand for Wii even in the traditionally slow sales periods for video games in the UK is clearly behind this record breaking achievement", Nintendo said in a statement of joy.

"The performance of both systems [Wii and DS] appears to indicate that unprecedented interactive entertainment experiences, provided by a combination of the revolutionary nature of DS and Wii with the increasing number of unique software titles for the system from Nintendo and third parties, are being enjoyed by both avid and new gamers of all ages."

Wii big hitters Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3, which are just around the corner, will inevitably further drive console sales in the run up to Christmas and give the hardcore players something to shout about.

source: Gaming News, Reviews, Previews, Cheats & Tips - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

PeteBrant 30 August 2007 12:47 PM

Well done Wii!

<rant>
And can I just add, I hate this style of reporting.

"Wii does a million in 9 months!

It took PS2 50 weeks and 360 60 weeks!"

9 months? Wow, that numbers, only like a "9", and the PS2 and 360 were "50" and "60" - That means there are quite literally years apart.

Why not just write, you know, 36 weeks. You cvnts.

I know, because you wouldn't be able to be so fvcking sensationalist.

</rant>

spectrum48k 30 August 2007 12:51 PM

agrred - still though, good effort , eh ?

DJ Dunk 30 August 2007 12:51 PM

https://i16.tinypic.com/2d767fk.gif

spectrum48k 30 August 2007 12:54 PM

they all do!

http://www.generationmp3.com/generat...ints_money.gif

myblackwrx 30 August 2007 12:56 PM

Although lots have been sold how many are still played on with the plethora of game titles it has:Whatever_

My mate has one (from launch) played it for about a month and don't think we touched it since.

PeteBrant 30 August 2007 12:59 PM

It great to see Nintendo up there... However, what I want is...

Recognition by Ninty that Europe isn't some backwater third world country.
Some games, please.
Some decent use of the WiiMote by third party devcos.

spectrum48k 30 August 2007 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by PeteBrant (Post 7218376)
It great to see Nintendo up there... However, what I want is...

Recognition by Ninty that Europe isn't some backwater third world country.
Some games, please.
Some decent use of the WiiMote by third party devcos.

cheer up Pete - at least the abhorrent PAL conversions have stopped :thumb:

J4CKO 30 August 2007 01:38 PM

Its a must have item, even my wife wanted one, much broader appeal than the other next gen consoles, however much more capable they may be.

Nintendo knew they couldn't compete on Polygon counts and pipeline whatsits so they used creativity and therye wealth of know how, Sony and Microsoft are comparative newcomers to Nintendo who have been in the games world since it started practically, whilst the others were getting smug about performance and big numbers Nintendo quietly got on with it.

That said ours never gets used.

bob269 30 August 2007 01:46 PM

The 2 of my mates who own a wii both havent touched them since the initial few days of purchase and both have games still in the wrapping.

For the majority of owners I think it was a fad purchase, Nintendo need some good marketing to keep those people interested, maybe things like the wii fit will revitalise peoples interest.

Obviously they still have their hardcore fans who bought it on its merits.

spectrum48k 30 August 2007 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by bob269 (Post 7218480)
The 2 of my mates who own a wii both havent touched them since the initial few days of purchase and both have games still in the wrapping.

wot, like the PS3 you mean ? :lol1:

spectrum48k 30 August 2007 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by J4CKO (Post 7218465)
Nintendo knew they couldn't compete on Polygon counts and pipeline whatsits so they used creativity and therye wealth of know how, Sony and Microsoft are comparative newcomers to Nintendo who have been in the games world since it started practically, whilst the others were getting smug about performance and big numbers Nintendo quietly got on with it.
That said ours never gets used.

:nono:

Nintendo could've competed with "polygon counts" if they'd wanted to (Gamecube was more powerful than PS2 for example) but chose to focus on other things - and judging by sales figures, they made the right call. Unlike Sony and to a lesser extent Microsoft, they don't lose money on each Wii sold.

DanPhillips 30 August 2007 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by spectrum48k (Post 7218533)

Nintendo could've competed with "polygon counts" if they'd wanted to (Gamecube was more powerful than PS2 for example) but chose to focus on other things - and judging by sales figures, they made the right call. Unlike Sony and to a lesser extent Microsoft, they don't lose money on each Wii sold.

No they couldn't...they didn't with the GameCube it was an ATI chip, this time Microsoft tied them up so they couldn't work with another console company (IIRC)
NVidia were tied up with Sony...Matrox don't compete anymore, not many people capable of keeping up with NVidia and ATI at a reasonable cost and they wouldn't have been able to do it internally.

Cheers

Dan

ps. still got my Wii, but haven't played it for a bit :( waiting for Metroid ;)

messiah 30 August 2007 02:29 PM

2 workmates had one as they said they couldnt stretch to a 360 or PS3, both reckon it was a false economy and should have waited. One has been sold and the other never gets used.

bob269 30 August 2007 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by spectrum48k (Post 7218528)
wot, like the PS3 you mean ? :lol1:

No, the PS3 is still in the wrapping, awaiting some games :lol1:

Only kidding Sony boys :thumb:

spectrum48k 30 August 2007 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by DanPhillips (Post 7218554)
No they couldn't...they didn't with the GameCube it was an ATI chip, this time Microsoft tied them up so they couldn't work with another console company (IIRC)
NVidia were tied up with Sony...Matrox don't compete anymore, not many people capable of keeping up with NVidia and ATI at a reasonable cost and they wouldn't have been able to do it internally.

Cheers

Dan

ps. still got my Wii, but haven't played it for a bit :( waiting for Metroid ;)

When I said Nintnedo could've competed polygon count wise , I wasn't referring to them developing their own in house solution. They sub-contracted in SGI for N64, ATI for Gamecube (as you stated), and could've done the same for Wii if needed.

PeteBrant 30 August 2007 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by spectrum48k (Post 7218640)
When I said Nintnedo could've competed polygon count wise , I wasn't referring to them developing their own in house solution. They sub-contracted in SGI for N64, ATI for Gamecube (as you stated), and could've done the same for Wii if needed.

But to who I think is Dans' point.

ATI and nVidia weren't an option.

spectrum48k 30 August 2007 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by PeteBrant (Post 7218649)
But to who I think is Dans' point.

ATI and nVidia weren't an option.

Who ? What about the most successful pc graphics company in the industry ?

spectrum48k 30 August 2007 03:20 PM

http://images14.fotki.com/v20/photos...tshares-vi.jpg

bob269 30 August 2007 03:28 PM

Do intel make decent highend gfx processors tho ? They may be the biggest due to most standard pcs shipping with them. Most gamer people then throw them away in favour of an ATI/Nvidia

PeteBrant 30 August 2007 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by spectrum48k (Post 7218668)
Who ? What about the most successful pc graphics company in the industry ?

No expertise in GFX though really have they. That's not to say they couldn't adapt. But lets face it, an Intel GMA is hardly up there with an 8800GTX.

It would be a big risk to get into bed with a company with no track record in GFX processing for a console.

spectrum48k 30 August 2007 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by PeteBrant (Post 7218693)
No expertise in GFX though really have they. That's not to say they couldn't adapt. But lets face it, an Intel GMA is hardly up there with an 8800GTX.

It would be a big risk to get into bed with a company with no track record in GFX processing for a console.

Intel CHOSE that mainstream sector of the graphics market. I'd imagine if a company like Intel , with $35 Billion in revenue, wanted to dabble in the not as profitable high-end graphics sector, they'd have the resources to do so :D

PeteBrant 30 August 2007 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by spectrum48k (Post 7218788)
Intel CHOSE that mainstream sector of the graphics market. I'd imagine if a company like Intel , with $35 Billion in revenue, wanted to dabble in the not as profitable high-end graphics sector, they'd have the resources to do so :D

Indeed, but as the figures show, there is money to be made in the higher end of the market - Given ATI's and NVidias respective turnover - Why aren't Intel chasing that market too?

It's not as if they don't cater for all markets in the CPU field - So why not in the GPU field?

I don't pretend to know the answer, but I have always wondered why they have never come up with a decent GPU.

spectrum48k 30 August 2007 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by PeteBrant (Post 7218805)
Indeed, but as the figures show, there is money to be made in the higher end of the market - Given ATI's and NVidias respective turnover - Why aren't Intel chasing that market too?

It's not as if they don't cater for all markets in the CPU field - So why not in the GPU field?

I don't pretend to know the answer, but I have always wondered why they have never come up with a decent GPU.

I don't know - why don't Toyota build Ferrari's ?

answer = they don't need to, and they're happy to leave it to others

PeteBrant 30 August 2007 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by spectrum48k (Post 7218812)
I don't know - why don't Toyota build Ferrari's ?

answer = they don't need to, and they're happy to leave it to others

:)

Not sure that it's quite the same.

NVidias and ATIs market share added together is more than intels. You couldn't say the same for, say, Ferrari and Lambourghini combined selling more than Honda.

Still, they are obviously happy as they are. - But, we are still left with the question of could they come up with a decent GPU in the time frame for a console. I personally doubt it. They don't have the history of development in GPU design to draw on that nVidia and ATI do.

All academic really though.

spectrum48k 30 August 2007 04:47 PM

[way out theory]

Besides, the CPU will absorb the 3D accelerator anyway, in time.

Either that, or the other way around!

[/way out theory]

;)

spectrum48k 30 August 2007 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by PeteBrant (Post 7218822)
:)

Not sure that it's quite the same.

NVidias and ATIs market share added together is more than intels. You couldn't say the same for, say, Ferrari and Lambourghini combined selling more than Honda.

Still, they are obviously happy as they are. - But, we are still left with the question of could they come up with a decent GPU in the time frame for a console. I personally doubt it. They don't have the history of development in GPU design to draw on that nVidia and ATI do.

Remember SGI, a much smaller company, came up with the goods for Nintendo, without any track record either and gave us Super Mario, Goldeneye, etc...

Originally Posted by PeteBrant (Post 7218822)
All academic really though.

Agreed :thumb:

bob269 30 August 2007 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by bob269 (Post 7218480)

For the majority of owners I think it was a fad purchase, Nintendo need some good marketing to keep those people interested, maybe things like the wii fit will revitalise peoples interest.

Obviously they still have their hardcore fans who bought it on its merits.

Lol, to update my recent post, 1 of the guys has just traded his 360 + wii for an Elite ;)

PeteBrant 30 August 2007 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by spectrum48k (Post 7218843)
Remember SGI, a much smaller company, came up with the goods for Nintendo, without any track record either and gave us Super Mario, Goldeneye, etc..

Yup, good point...

Ahh the memories :)

rik1471 30 August 2007 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by spectrum48k (Post 7218533)

Nintendo never have lost money on any console. That's not how they do business.