Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Macbook Pro region free DVD playback?

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2007, 10:02 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Macbook Pro region free DVD playback?

I know is impossible to get region free on the internal Matsushíta drives. Can anyone recommend an external DVD player that will definitely work region free (modded or not) ?

thanks
Old 06 July 2007, 05:51 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Anyone
Old 06 July 2007, 06:15 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Corradoboy was asking something similar on this thread. I've posted there to see if he has an update to the situation.

What I would do is have a look on The Firmware Page :: Index and find a drive that is either rpc1 already, or can be flashed to rpc1 (probably need to use a PC - bootcamp might be ok, but I'd not use parallels or a VM solution to do it). Then search and see if that drive is known to have any problems running from an external enclosure on a mac. Typically I think most drives are compatible with Mac OS X. You should at least be able to read dvd's in the drive even if you might not be able to use Apple's built in "burn" option to write to them, in which case Roxio's Toast should be able to write to them, if you need that capability from the external drive.

Another option would be to use bootcamp to boot into XP and use the DVD Region+CSS Free software with the internal drive, which I think will work (trial version of this should let you see if it's working).
Old 06 July 2007, 08:40 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Cheers Markus
Old 06 July 2007, 08:57 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Markus has it covered, as usual

The internal 9mm Mat$h!ta cannot be flashed, and they are the only 9mm microdrives which will go in You used to be able to bypass the region coding by deselecting DVD Player as the default app and running VLC to play discs. The latest update of 10.4 stopped all that fun (Damn you Jobs). An external is the only way to go now, flashed to RPC-1 and running RegionX to switch regions and reset the switching counter.