Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

bt...

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2007, 03:57 PM
Bakerboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bt...

Hi all,

i'm not going to turn this thread into a big rant but would like to know if anyone else has had a simular experiance with bt..

4 weeks ago I moved into my new house, the day I moved in I got on the phone to BT to get the line activated. After waiting 45 mins on the phone I got through to someone, gave them my account details for a £50 deposit and was told that the line would be activated within 48 hours.

3 more phone calls of equal or greater length later I have been told various things, from 'your'e through to the wrong department' to 'an egineer needs to do some work at your exchange' which i was told would take 10 working days and now I land on the 10th working day since I was told that.

Really dont want to get stressed by waiting another hour or so on the phone to be fobbed off, so my question is: IS there anyone here that knows what I can do or maybe works for bt that can offer me some advice on why it's taking so long?
Apparently it was just a case of 're-activating a doormant line' which would take 48 hours max but the problem seems much greater and i've had no corrispondance by post and havn't been debited the £50 they said they would.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks guys
Old 26 June 2007, 04:13 PM
Bakerboy
Scooby Regular

Seeing you guys having so much fun on forza is painfull.... hehe
Old 26 June 2007, 04:18 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Phone during the day so you don't speak to somebody in India is my only advice.
Old 26 June 2007, 04:19 PM
Bakerboy
Scooby Regular

I've tried that, doesn't matter who I speak to..
Old 26 June 2007, 04:36 PM
Bakerboy
Scooby Regular

Anyone?? Going out of my mind with no net here
Old 26 June 2007, 04:50 PM
kittle
Scooby Regular

all they would have tried to do is active an old stopped line that was at that property, if at any point that line has been cut of or used somewhere else it will need an engineer to come and provide a new connection to the exchange. Open reach will do this on behalf of BT or any service provider. All you can do is keep on at calling your service provider and get the to make an appointment with an engineer.
Old 26 June 2007, 04:53 PM
Bakerboy
Scooby Regular

ok, i'll call them again on my day off thu - i cant contact open reach directly then?
Old 29 June 2007, 09:01 AM
Bakerboy
Scooby Regular

got an email back, said they are chasing it with the relevant department...

hopefully soon i'll be able to order broadband!!
Old 29 June 2007, 01:14 PM
Bakerboy
Scooby Regular

Has anyone else had any experiance with this?
Old 29 June 2007, 01:31 PM
bish667
Scooby Regular

I used to work in a bt dept that placed orders like this. From the point the orders placed it goes to the engineers and its usually connected quickly. It sounds like there's work needing to be carried out to get the line working and the engineers are responsible for sorting this out. tbh there is prob no way you'll be able to get it moving faster and you'll just need to wait. Used to get a few complaints about this sort of thing.
Old 29 June 2007, 02:25 PM
Bakerboy
Scooby Regular

Thanks Bish, as long as I know I am doing all I can then I can kinda half relax
Old 29 June 2007, 03:15 PM
clintyboy12
Scooby Regular

Not sure if this is much help, but on the website, rather than check your order using the HOME option, you can go through Business. Gives a lot more detail from what I can remember as well as different telephone numbers. Still dealt with by same departments as well when I was looking last Nov.
Old 02 July 2007, 09:19 AM
Bakerboy
Scooby Regular

Another week and still nothing costing a fortune phoning them from my mobile waiting for an hour at least every time no matter what time i call

Do you guys think that a corded phone would work? I'm trying it with a cordless phone at the moment but I do get a dialling tone...

I just want my phone line activated
Old 02 July 2007, 10:59 AM
ESH
Scooby Regular

Hi mate.

By all means turn this into a rant.....

I have had no BB service from home since the 12th of June. Raised the issue immediately and have been told all sorts of things about the issue and have yet to receive an resolution time.

The excuses provided are laughable and have ranged from:

"Your account has been suspended due to a billing issue." "Really so why has the money left my account and is now sitting in yours?"

right thuogh to:

"there is an issue with data integrity" ...WTF!! does that mean. The best part of this was they are unable to tell me when this will be resolved.

Are you all aware that whilst us residential users have to make do with the cultural differences from the call centre in bangalore business customers get customer service from blightly and that really gets on my nerves.

I got my MAC code from BT this morning and will be moving all services away from them.

IDIOTS
Old 02 July 2007, 11:20 AM
Bakerboy
Scooby Regular

Indeed, I do wish to turn this into a rant now as it is becoming silly how long I am having to wait.

1st June I phoned bt to get my phone line activated, and I am STILL no further in getting it switched on!

It has cost me near£40 in mobile phone charges to get through to them at an hours waiting+ each time because I have no land line to call them from!

So angry at them
Old 11 July 2007, 10:34 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Right my BT rant and looking for advice post.

Got their broadband at home. meant ot be up to 8mb download speeds. Max I can get is 0.5meg through the line on downloads. samknows.com shows me to expect 1.5meg and Bt themselves said to expect between 4-6 meg.

My IP profile on the hub says 500KBS which I'm sure is the reason it's so crap.

I reported this and got some Indian bloke who just reads from his check list and then passes me on to somebody else. They tell me there is no fault on the line and I'm going to speak to them as this isn't acceptable. I'm going to call them again but does anybody have experience of this?

another question. what is the difference between ADSL and ADSL max? Is that ADSL2?

I hate broadband providers with a passion!
Old 11 July 2007, 10:42 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ADSL is a fixed rate, ie 1gb, adsl max is UP TO (this depends on time of day, distance from exchange and wire quality) so you can end up with .5mb or 4, but you will not exceed the maximum your line is capable of, so if your at 3mb thats your max available to you.
ADSL 2 is capable of achieving 24mb, same applies to adsl 2 as it does to max and adsl, its variable, its also down to the line and distance, further from the exchange you are the lower the rate you get.
Now VDSL is the next step up to 100mb, though I truely doubt we will be seeing this any time in the future

Tony

PS, in reality there is no real difference between ADSL and ADSL max.

Last edited by TonyBurns; 11 July 2007 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11 July 2007, 10:49 AM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Mate, I'm having a similar problem. I need a line on my gaff for the same reason. Called them 2 weeks ago, then heard nothing so I called them back last week. They said that due to bad weather they were bombed out repairing lines etc, but will sort mine out asap. Still heard **** all, so called them yesterday to see what the score was, and they have taken me off the waiting list!! It means I've gotta go through it all again after already waiting 2 ******* weeks!!! Like you, I'm itching to get online with forza
Old 11 July 2007, 10:50 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
ADSL is a fixed rate, ie 1gb, adsl max is UP TO (this depends on time of day, distance from exchange and wire quality) so you can end up with .5mb or 4, but you will not exceed the maximum your line is capable of, so if your at 3mb thats your max available to you.
ADSL 2 is capable of achieving 24mb, same applies to adsl 2 as it does to max and adsl, its variable, its also down to the line and distance, further from the exchange you are the lower the rate you get.
Now VDSL is the next step up to 100mb, though I truely doubt we will be seeing this any time in the future

Tony

PS, in reality there is no real difference between ADSL and ADSL max.
cheers Tony,

Any idea why I'm limited to 0.5Mb now with BT where as before with UKonline I got a steady 1meg all the time. With BT on torrents or any decent download the max speed I get is 6kb\s and it sits at that. It's a nightmare for Xbox Live as a game demo is often 1Gb.
Old 11 July 2007, 10:55 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

ADSL max is more sensitive than the standard ADSL, so it adapts, it if sees problems over your initial period then it reduces the speed until it gets less errors. If you had a decent speed before using max id say you had a problem, if you were on normal ADSL then you can ask BT to up your gain on the line, which "may" make a difference or ask them to check the line quality (you could be unlucky and still have some aluminium cable in there somewhere from the 70's )

Tony
Old 11 July 2007, 10:56 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

right thanks Tony, I know I can get 1Mb no problems so I wont accept this 0.5mb rate. I see a frustrating few calls today
Old 11 July 2007, 10:58 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
right thanks Tony, I know I can get 1Mb no problems so I wont accept this 0.5mb rate. I see a frustrating few calls today
Your modem can also be a cause of your problems, which one are you using?
(later the better normally)

Tony
Old 11 July 2007, 11:00 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Using the supplied home hub plugged into a BT installed extension socket. I've thought about trying the main socket but I used my old router on this one with no problems previously with UKOnline. Think it would be worth trying my old router (Netgear DG834G) in the main or extension socket?
Old 11 July 2007, 11:02 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Give it a try, it may/may not work if your line is already fixed on the .5mb but I take it your some distance from the exchange?

Tony
Old 11 July 2007, 11:10 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Give it a try, it may/may not work if your line is already fixed on the .5mb but I take it your some distance from the exchange?

Tony
about 2K
Old 11 July 2007, 11:29 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

spoken to them again and they run through the same set of tests which I tell them will do nothing as I've done several times before. Those Indian call centres are crap. Nice as the person is they have a check list and once through that they can do nothing. Pathetic. worst thing ever done going to BT.
Old 11 July 2007, 12:00 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Going to do that tonight.
Old 11 July 2007, 04:00 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Bakerboy, was it a new build property that you moved into?
I did in Jan of this year and waited over 3 months for my line as they had to do new cable from the exchange upto the cabinet on the street. They very kindly set up a divert from the phone number though to my mobile (even though I told them it was pointless as my new home is in a coverage blackspot for all networks!). good thing is now I have a brand new phone line, and over 11mbs broadband from sky
Old 14 July 2007, 06:20 PM
Bakerboy
Scooby Regular

it's not a new build, bout 25 years old... it's connected now at last although I'm having some teething problems with the connection..

Quick Reply: bt...