Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Manhunt 2 Banned in the UK

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2007, 04:27 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manhunt 2 Banned in the UK

BBC NEWS | England | Leicestershire | Censors ban 'brutal' video game

A sad day

I abhore censorship in all its forms. I do not beleive some arbitary panel of judges have the ability, not to mention the right, to decide what I can and cannot see/hear/play.

Of course, if the decision is overturned (which given history of banned media is likely with some modifcation) then the BBFC have just handed Manhunt 2 the best publicity it could have possibly hoped for.

By not giving this game an 18 certificate, the BBFC have judged that you as adults are not able to cope with the horrific scenes on display.

To be honest, I have no interest in playing the game myself, I though manhunt was *ok* but not worthy of the adulation it got in some quarters. I might just have to import it purely as a protest though - It's the principle involved.
Old 19 June 2007, 05:31 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

How ridiculous
Old 19 June 2007, 05:58 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i think gears was banned in germany

hmmm must try and find a copy of this manhunt 2 game
Old 19 June 2007, 07:10 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Its pathetic. Unfortunatley theres people out there who can't differentiate between whats real and whats fiction. The silly thing is, brutal murders and the like will happen regardless of banning thing like this.

People should be able to decide wether something is suitable for them to watch or not. I totally agree with certifates, just not censorship.
Old 19 June 2007, 07:59 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

If it's got an 18 certificate then it's essentially adults only and one would like to think that adults know this is a game, not real life, and what you can do in a game you cannot and usually should not do in the real world.

If someone under 18 has the game then how did they get it? If a store sold it to them then the store needs to have action taken against it. If someone purchased the game for them then that person needs action taken against them. Perhaps the parents should monitor the games their kids are playing and if they have access to games they should not be playing then the parents should do something about it, or action should be taken against the parents.

One interesting thing I've read is that the kid who murdered the other kid did NOT own, let alone play manhunt, it's been said the person who had the copy of manhunt was the kid who was killed. If this is indeed the case, then it is very hypocritical of the dead kids parents to bleat on about how a dangerous game caused someone to kill their child, as the killer didn't even play the damn game.

Here is a BBC news article detailing that manhunt was not found at the killers residence, but it was found at the residence of the kid who was killed.

Last edited by Markus; 19 June 2007 at 08:02 PM. Reason: added link to BBC article
Old 20 June 2007, 09:17 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Law and Order has been banned aswell, fortunately I would say its a valid reason as they have used CCTV footage of Jamie Bulger and a missing poster of him aswell Thought that was a bit sick tbh.

Cant find the link for it but heard it on Radio 1 this morning.
Old 20 June 2007, 09:24 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
If it's got an 18 certificate then it's essentially adults only and one would like to think that adults know this is a game, not real life, and what you can do in a game you cannot and usually should not do in the real world.

If someone under 18 has the game then how did they get it? If a store sold it to them then the store needs to have action taken against it. If someone purchased the game for them then that person needs action taken against them. Perhaps the parents should monitor the games their kids are playing and if they have access to games they should not be playing then the parents should do something about it, or action should be taken against the parents.

One interesting thing I've read is that the kid who murdered the other kid did NOT own, let alone play manhunt, it's been said the person who had the copy of manhunt was the kid who was killed. If this is indeed the case, then it is very hypocritical of the dead kids parents to bleat on about how a dangerous game caused someone to kill their child, as the killer didn't even play the damn game.

Here is a BBC news article detailing that manhunt was not found at the killers residence, but it was found at the residence of the kid who was killed.
In addition to this, the police in the case categorically stated that the motive was robbery, not manhunt.

It's a farce.

With regards to the 18 certificate. I have a difficult time with the fact that my 16 year old son is deemed old enough to work, get married, smoke, ride a motorcycle and leave home. But not old enough to play Grand Theft Auto in case it turns him into some raving lunatic.

I agree with certification as a guide, but no way should it be the absolute measure by which it is decided whether someone can view/play/listen to something. A parent who knows the child is the one best equipped to make a decision, not some arbitary panel, and certainly not some spotty game store sales assistant.

I have no problem at all with my 13 year old playing GTA etc, I would have no problem with him playing any 18 rated game. Will the language used in the game be new to him? No, the school playground will be 100 times worse. Will the violence be new to him? No, has seen the 6 o'clock news. Will the fact that there are such things as prostitutes break his fragile little mind? No.

We all saw 18 rated films long before we *should* have done (according to the authorities) did it hurt us? No.

In society you have to cater for the vast (and I mean *vast*) majority of people that will not go out and kill every mother****er in the street once they have played a violent videogame, not the extreme minority that will go out and do this whether they play videogames or not.
Old 20 June 2007, 09:39 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

BBC NEWS | England | Merseyside | Game pulled over Bulger complaint
Old 20 June 2007, 09:42 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

yeah I think it is right to ban it when it has the bulger content as that is rightfully a bit sick! No doubt though the offending content will be removed and the game will get released eventually (probably under a different name)
Old 20 June 2007, 10:18 AM
little rick
Scooby Regular

This really annoys me

Simply because there are a minority who cant find the line between game and reality others are punished
Manhunt wasn't that aggressive compared with other material we have access to - and I still use that game to get rid of pent up aggression, therefore stopping me from going out and doing 'bad things' (not that I would, its just more of stress relief)

For those who've seen any horror film made in the last 10 years or so, they are far more gory than any video game and would give more ideas of how to attack or kill someone if the viewer wished

Why is it that they constantly try to ban games and movies because they MAY influence a minority - when the miority have access to far more violent material anyway - can anyone say 'internet'

Whats next to be banned - driving games cos they promote bad driving practice
While were there lets ban chess as it promotes logical thinking therefore increasing the possibilty of someone planning a crime and getting away with it

Off to play manhunt now to get rid of the frustration

quick question - are age ratings on games still guidelines or now law like movies? I know they used to be just guidance and a 12year old could buy an 18 game
Old 20 June 2007, 10:33 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
yeah I think it is right to ban it when it has the bulger content as that is rightfully a bit sick! No doubt though the offending content will be removed and the game will get released eventually (probably under a different name)
Bit after the horse has bolted this one..

Originally Posted by BBC
Ms Fergus wrote to the manufacturer demanding the image should be removed from the game, which was first published in 2003

Law & Order didn't have the best of sales when it was first released, I doubt it has sold a single copy in 2007
Old 20 June 2007, 10:36 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Ah didnt realise that. Fair enough, I only mentioned it as its been pulled from the shelves today according to radio 1 thats all
Old 20 June 2007, 10:39 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by little rick
quick question - are age ratings on games still guidelines or now law like movies? I know they used to be just guidance and a 12year old could buy an 18 game
If it BBFC certificated it is illegal for the shop to sell the game to a person underage. But ther eis absolutely nothing to stop an adult buying the game for an underage person.

This is something I take delight in when I buy 18 rated games for my kids. Especially when I get some pious 18 year **** trying to tell me that "do I know this game isn't really suitable for a 16 year old"
Old 20 June 2007, 10:40 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I had never even heard of the prequel let alone this one that is to be banned. I will now do all I can get Manhunt 2... See the power of "advertising"...
It is ludicrous to ban as it gives the game prestige and makes it more desirable. Imported copies will get through. My copy will be one...
Grrr
Old 20 June 2007, 10:41 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Ah didnt realise that. Fair enough, I only mentioned it as its been pulled from the shelves today according to radio 1 thats all
Yeah, I think they jumped on the story because of the ban for Manhunt. Not surprised at all that they failed to mention it's a 4 year old game, would totally ruin the shcok horror value
Old 20 June 2007, 10:45 AM
little rick
Scooby Regular

Group buy on imported copies of Manhunt 2 anyone?

Last edited by little rick; 20 June 2007 at 10:54 AM.
Old 20 June 2007, 10:51 AM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
Philippians 4:8
Just a thought from a different angle...

Mick
Old 20 June 2007, 11:04 AM
Alexppp
Scooby Regular

Hi there,

Anyone know what Console it's on and if you import it, will it work on our 360 or ps3??

Alex
Old 20 June 2007, 11:07 AM
gotmashed
Scooby Regular

The first was got banned not long after it came out in the shops and only 2nd hand copys could be found
Old 20 June 2007, 11:18 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Alexppp
Hi there,

Anyone know what Console it's on and if you import it, will it work on our 360 or ps3??

Alex
PS2, PSP and Wii.
Old 20 June 2007, 11:20 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Rockstar Games has issued a statement, noting its disappointment in the decision made by the British Board of Film Classification to ban Manhunt 2 from going on sale in the UK.

"We are disappointed with the recent decision by the British Board of Film Classification to refuse classification of Manhunt 2. While we respect the authority of the classification board and will abide by the rules, we emphatically disagree with this particular decision," reads a statement from Rockstar Games.

"Manhunt 2 is an entertainment experience for fans of psychological thrillers and horror. The subject matter of this game is in line with other mainstream entertainment choices for adult consumers."

The statement continues: "We believe all products should be rated to allow the public to make informed choices about the media and art they wish to consume. The stories in modern videogames are as diverse as the stories in books, film and television. The adult consumers who would play this game fully understand that it is fictional interactive entertainment and nothing more."
Old 20 June 2007, 11:20 AM
little rick
Scooby Regular

available on pre order from Game - age rating TBC

http://www.game.co.uk/ViewProduct.as...243&mid=330414
Old 20 June 2007, 11:31 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Odd thing is that its been rated AO in the USA (Adults Only) . . . . Nintendo have a policy of not selling AO rated games

So currently, if Nintendo stick to their policy, looks like the Wii version is doubtful too. The Wii version is being handled by Rockstar Toronto as opposed to the others by Rockstar North, so perhaps it will be a 'cut' version ?
Old 20 June 2007, 11:36 AM
Alexppp
Scooby Regular

I can't seem to find xbox360 version? Not even on Game.

Alex
Old 20 June 2007, 11:43 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Alexppp
I can't seem to find xbox360 version? Not even on Game.

Alex
Did you read my reply to your earlier question?
Old 20 June 2007, 11:44 AM
kernel
Scooby Regular

There was some lady on BBC breakfast TV saying her real beef with it was the Wii version because of the physical actions with the Wii remotes, not the video violence per se.
Old 20 June 2007, 11:46 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by kernel
There was some lady on BBC breakfast TV saying her real beef with it was the Wii version because of the physical actions with the Wii remotes, not the video violence per se.
Ironic, as thats what will make that version so much better
Old 20 June 2007, 11:48 AM
Alexppp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk
Did you read my reply to your earlier question?
Whoops I sooooo missed that. I just saw Ps3... and just must of thought yeeeeahhhh it's on the xbox360. Rockstar did the same with GTA didn't they.

Regards from, (Alex)
Old 20 June 2007, 11:57 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

No PS3 version either PS2, PSP and Wii.
Old 20 June 2007, 12:16 PM
Alexppp
Scooby Regular

see what I was trying to say was that It would be really good if it was on the ps3 and the 360 yeah....... that what it was

I don't think I got out of that one did I..........??

I do still have Jet lag if that helps, Honest

Alex

Quick Reply: Manhunt 2 Banned in the UK