Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Software for bluetooth dongle ??

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2007, 07:43 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Software for bluetooth dongle ??

Bought a small bluetooth dongle for my pc last year but have lost the original installation disc and must have deleted the software installed on the pc, is a driver for a bluetooth dongle something that can be d/loaded from the net, ?? is the software universal for these devices ??

the dongle has Bluetooth class 1 billionton marked on it, small black aerial attached to the side casing.

anyone offer any advice ??
Old 09 June 2007, 07:52 PM
kevin.m
Scooby Newbie

What operating system are you running and is there any manufacture name on the dongle ?? If you are using XP then it should automatically detect the drivers etc and load them for you when you plug it in.
Also - what are you using the bluetooth connection for ? If to connect to a phone then if you use the software provided (or downloaded) for the phone then this should be enough.
Old 09 June 2007, 08:09 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kevin.m
What operating system are you running and is there any manufacture name on the dongle ?? If you are using XP then it should automatically detect the drivers etc and load them for you when you plug it in.
Also - what are you using the bluetooth connection for ? If to connect to a phone then if you use the software provided (or downloaded) for the phone then this should be enough.

Hi mate thanks for your reply, sorry yep using XP, the markings on the dongle are Billionton Bluetooth class 1

when I plug the dongle into the usb port on my pc I get a found new hardware message and then the option to either install installation disc supplied or hook up to the net and try find the drivers this way.

so okay dont have the installation disc and even when hooked up to the net it will fail to find drivers.

lastly yep its just for transferring files to and from pc to phone, still looks like I require a driver thou ?? or is there any other way around this ??

cheers
Old 10 June 2007, 03:31 AM
D16GER
Scooby Regular

You should find the driver here...

Welcome to Billionton Systems Inc.
Old 10 June 2007, 08:50 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Dont you believe that xp is all singing and dancing with drivers etc...

i had a bluetooth dongle that one day xp said had died.....i tried all i could to get it to work .. but nada ....

i bought a new bt dongle, but its front end was crap...and i uninstalled it..... then i needed to do some work with it, so i downloded a generic driver from the manufacturers web site..... even bigger mistake.... it made a bad front end even worse... so i junked it....

Then by chance i found my original dongle installation disk.... so with nothing to loose. i put in my original dongle and re installed the original driver disk....

and it still worked... it was just the drivers that had gone **** up...

for some reason, these puppys dont like generic drivers...

Mart
Old 10 June 2007, 09:03 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys really do appreciatte your input, will check out the above Billionton site and see if I can track down the correct driver from there.

thanks again
Old 11 June 2007, 01:22 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

I think Bluetooth software only comes with Service Pack 2 for Windows XP, so make sure you have this installed and it should be ok. Failing that, head to the manufacturers' website and download a driver for it.
Old 11 June 2007, 09:23 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MJW
I think Bluetooth software only comes with Service Pack 2 for Windows XP, so make sure you have this installed and it should be ok. Failing that, head to the manufacturers' website and download a driver for it.
Okay had a look on the manufacturers website in the hope I would get a driver for it but dont see one listed for this particular model and have since learned that there were a lot of fake ones produced and funny enough sold via ebay !!!

service pack 2 ?? any idea how I can check to see if I have this installed already ??
Old 12 June 2007, 08:15 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by jono300

service pack 2 ?? any idea how I can check to see if I have this installed already ??
Click the Start Menu and right-click on My Computer. Select 'properties' from the menu and it should mention it in the 'System' part of the General tab.
Old 12 June 2007, 02:50 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Jono - I've just bought a cheap blue tooth dongle - it came with some generic drivers that seem to work OK. I can cut you a disc pop it in the post if you like? Just drop me a PM with your address.

Chris
Old 12 June 2007, 06:02 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris L
Jono - I've just bought a cheap blue tooth dongle - it came with some generic drivers that seem to work OK. I can cut you a disc pop it in the post if you like? Just drop me a PM with your address.

Chris

Chris that would be greatly appreciatted mate, have tried everything else and yep service pack 2 is installed thanks anyway for suggestion !!

okay chris PM sent.

cheers folks.