Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Virgin Medai / NTL / Telewest your gonna LOVE THIS

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2007, 11:14 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Virgin Medai / NTL / Telewest your gonna LOVE THIS

Broadband support line launches 1 JulyWhat's going on?
We're all about making our customers happy and doing the right thing by them. And to do this we currently offer a whole range of services they can tap into when the 'Ctrl, Alt, Delete' theory fails! And it's one of these services we want to tell you about today.

Telling it to you straight
On 1 July we're going to begin charging 25p per minute for a call made to our teams in the broadband Technical Support Centres. The change to this service will not affect any of the other ways our customers have of either getting in touch with us, or helping themselves, like:

Online support - a great way to learn and solves issues in your own time
Updated outage line - our customers know when there's a local issue and when we'll be able to fix it
150/151 option for all phone and TV users - customers can still get through to Customer Care or our fault teams for free when they have questions about our telephony and TV service
PC help - ever wanted to know to conect all your gadgets to your computer? This is the team to call

Why?
We're still offering a great 'at the end of the phone service' (unlike some of our competitors!), but being the largest home broadband provider in the country means that we get tens of thousands of calls from our customers every month looking for help.

50% or more of all our incoming broadband technical support calls are related to customer education and other issues not related to our service, sustaining these call volumes really isn't practical for us as a business as it places a huge amount of pressure on our support teams.

By introducing a small charge for contacting our Technical Support teams we believe it'll encourage more customers to use our online support tools, as opposed to ringing us straight away. This means we'll be able to help customers who really need it and help make sure that they can contact us and get the help they need first time, every time.

We're also continuing to align all of our policies across Virgin Media and this change will bring us in-line with the charges currently used in our Beyond Cable support centres.

Steve Stewart, managing director of customer care at Virgin Media, said: "We are changing the phone number for our broadband technical support service from 1 July, with calls costing 25p per minute.

"Over half the calls we receive are general enquiries about using the internet or another company's software, rather than the broadband service we supply. As the country's largest home broadband provider, we remain committed to offering technical support over the phone, but can't sustain such a service using the existing local rate number.

"We provide a free status line that customers can use to check for known issues, free email support and extensive information on our website, meaning a phone call is just one of several options for customers who are seeking advice."

Old 04 June 2007, 11:25 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Imagine the frustration [like I had with BT Broadband] when they had me on 'hold' for days, and then got me to change almost every component in my PC before admitting a month later that they hadnt 'flicked the switch' for 'broadband on' at the exchange.

Nice spin, but 'customer support' is a highly technical field that is at the core of this part of their business and shouldnt be confused with 'customer education' - esp when said customer knows better, but is still made to jump through hoops and dissasemble his house/PC!!

Wide berth methinks - like any 0870 type company...

D
Old 04 June 2007, 11:34 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

We all agree in support !!! its pathetic
Old 05 June 2007, 12:07 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

People will pay, I've seen it in software and in TV shows, they'll pay and the man in charge will earn his bonus.
Old 05 June 2007, 12:11 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Anyone who thinks that "25p a minute" is a "small charge" is being paid far too much already
Old 05 June 2007, 12:31 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Next time I have an issue with Virgin which turns out to be THERE fault I'm sending my bill with support calls highlighted straight back to them. *****!
Old 05 June 2007, 02:10 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
Next time I have an issue with Virgin which turns out to be THERE fault I'm sending my bill with support calls highlighted straight back to them. *****!
Firstly its THEIR and secondly I feel I need to point out its not the Virgin Employees that are at fault here.. its the people at the top... money grabbing *******s

Even if you send the bill, they wont pay it... sad isnt it.
Old 05 June 2007, 02:56 AM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Telewest really went down the pan with the take over of Virgin

No Sky and now this?
Old 05 June 2007, 04:13 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Even if you send the bill, they wont pay it... sad isnt it.

I think you'll find (as banks have) that the law will require them to

Any company that charges for this type of service is required to pay any equivalent charges levied upon them

Last edited by CrisPDuk; 05 June 2007 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Spollung
Old 05 June 2007, 07:13 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Perhaps it’s because I'm tired and grumpy but I read your post #7 and think, 'tosser'. Oh bummer, I transposed 'there' for 'their' as I bashed out a post at 00:30 hours! Secondly, where at any point in my post do I have a go at you or Virgin Media’s coal face staff? I think you’ll find I’ve posted on the subject several times and been nothing but tolerant and supportive of Virgin despite the fact they have swooned in and screwed everyone around. I'll no doubt get my first infraction for this post but as I see it your post is nothing but provocative and unnecessary.
Old 05 June 2007, 08:36 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

It's a shame because telewest were very helpful when we were with them. Think we were paying around £50 for tv(movies inc), phone and broadband. Ok, now sky is offering a similar service for £35, but that will be just a basic tv package, phone line rental and the slowest broadband speed. Virgin is taking that company, sticking it down the toilet and stirring it around with the loo brush. No sky1......whats the point then?
Old 05 June 2007, 11:44 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
Perhaps it’s because I'm tired and grumpy but I read your post #7 and think, 'tosser'. Oh bummer, I transposed 'there' for 'their' as I bashed out a post at 00:30 hours! Secondly, where at any point in my post do I have a go at you or Virgin Media’s coal face staff? I think you’ll find I’ve posted on the subject several times and been nothing but tolerant and supportive of Virgin despite the fact they have swooned in and screwed everyone around. I'll no doubt get my first infraction for this post but as I see it your post is nothing but provocative and unnecessary.
My posts come across as me being snotty a lot of the time, as quite a few other members will point out, they are not meant like that.

I tend to just respond as I would face to face and the other forums I visit are very low in members compared to this one so people are used to me. I mean no offence and I wasn't trying to be a *****.

As for swooning in... I worked for telewest.. its the same people all the way up the company.

edit: cool face added to try to express the meaning of my post
Old 05 June 2007, 01:06 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

The opposite end of the customer service spectrum at Marks & Spencer
Old 05 June 2007, 06:53 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

just leave ntl there useless and customer care is dreadfull, i get a far better deal with sky plus the tv has lots more channels.
Old 05 June 2007, 07:29 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by apples24
just leave ntl there useless and customer care is dreadfull, i get a far better deal with sky plus the tv has lots more channels.
NTL ?
Old 05 June 2007, 07:47 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

sorry yes there now virgin media but it all went **** down soon as branson got his mits on it from what i can see hes got to be loosing a fortune on it
Old 05 June 2007, 08:51 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by apples24
sorry yes there now virgin media but it all went **** down soon as branson got his mits on it from what i can see hes got to be loosing a fortune on it
Customer base has gone up quite a lot, and he only owns shares... they asked him to buy it so they could use his name,
Old 08 June 2007, 09:27 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Hi your through to Pimmo at Virginmedia technical support, can I confirm that you are over the age of 18 and have the bill payers permission to make this call ?

25p... bloody 25p
Old 08 June 2007, 10:06 AM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

Branson's group only owns 10.5% approx stake within Virgin Media Group. His influence is limited even though his group is the latest stake holder.

Recently there have been rumours flying around that Virgin Media might be brought out by a US consortium due to their suffering of the SKY fiasco.

On the technical support front. If invest is required to improve an under resourced service then unfortunately the easiest way to raise funds is by hitting the customers. I hope management have got there calculations & strategy spot on because 25p is a big blow to already potentially despondent customers.

For anyone asks, I’m not in favour of the 25p hike. They should of approached this differently.
Old 08 June 2007, 08:33 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerV2
Branson's group only owns 10.5% approx stake within Virgin Media Group. His influence is limited even though his group is the latest stake holder.

Recently there have been rumours flying around that Virgin Media might be brought out by a US consortium due to their suffering of the SKY fiasco.

On the technical support front. If invest is required to improve an under resourced service then unfortunately the easiest way to raise funds is by hitting the customers. I hope management have got there calculations & strategy spot on because 25p is a big blow to already potentially despondent customers.

For anyone asks, I’m not in favour of the 25p hike. They should of approached this differently.
Sucks something rotten and its us who has to suffer