Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Possible Xbox 360 fault???

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2007, 12:13 PM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Location: "Every one should have a friend called Dave - they're the human equivalent of a Swiss Army knife!!"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Possible Xbox 360 fault???

I have a short list of games that I have since the wife bought the console for me at Christmas. More often than not I will be in the middle of gameplay and the right hand menu screen will scroll across saying that the disc is unreadable and to try cleaning it and then restart. This happens on all my games which are Call of Duty 3, MotoGP '06, Gears of War, Lego Star Wars and Oblivion. However the discs are clean with no scratches as they're looked after so why does this keep happening?
Old 11 May 2007, 12:33 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Assuming you've applied all of the updates, there is most likely a problem, so you'll need to contact MS.
Old 11 May 2007, 01:17 PM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Location: "Every one should have a friend called Dave - they're the human equivalent of a Swiss Army knife!!"

Ah yes, updates. I've been meaning to do that for a while. Don't have a phone line cable permanently attached to it or the sky box. I'll dig out the extension cable and see if the updates solve the problem. Thanks.
Old 11 May 2007, 10:44 PM
Coupe-Se
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prodriva
I have a short list of games that I have since the wife bought the console for me at Christmas. More often than not I will be in the middle of gameplay and the right hand menu screen will scroll across saying that the disc is unreadable and to try cleaning it and then restart. This happens on all my games which are Call of Duty 3, MotoGP '06, Gears of War, Lego Star Wars and Oblivion. However the discs are clean with no scratches as they're looked after so why does this keep happening?
This used to happen to my 360. Mine is situated in a cabinet and after a random amount of time I got the 'unreadable disc' message. I'd switch off and then back on and all would be fine again.

After quite a bit of web searching, there seemes to be 2 definitive schools of thought.
1) Certain games "Gears of War" for example all seemed to throw up this fault and was possibly a manufacturing fault.
2) A great number of people believed it was a overheating related issue, and found that buying the Nikko fan units that clip on the back solb=ved the problem.

Due to my 360 being in a cabinet, I thought that the heat issue was a likely cause as I never had the problem when it sat on a TV stand.

I bought a clip on fan unit from Ebay and haven't had the fault since!!

It may be coincidence, but I spend 4 hours+ on it sometimes without any issues now.
Old 11 May 2007, 11:59 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Do you have a link to your cooler, or the Nikko version please?
Old 12 May 2007, 12:17 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Here's the Nyko one

Old 12 May 2007, 11:11 AM
Holyterror72
Scooby Regular

Play.com do them cheap with free postage.
Old 12 May 2007, 01:10 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk
Here's the Nyko one

You have a serious issue there!!!! look at the discoloration at the power socket....too much heat being generated....i recall reading somewhere that these add on coolers are a contributary factor to the 360's failure rate, as they overload the psu..... yours is pulling loads of current to overheat that plug..

Mart