Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

ps2 on plasma ??

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2007, 12:01 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ps2 on plasma ??

Anyone here ever ran a ps2 thru a plasma tv ??
just purchased a panasonic th42px70b and just wondering if it would be worthwile moving the ps2 from the spare room into the livingroom and hooking it up to the new tv ??

couple off questions regards this ??

1/ will the ps2 output fill the whole screen area off the plasma or just a small area ??

2/ what extra cabling would be required to run a ps2 thru a plasma ??

3/ yes or no to splash the cash that bit further and go for an xbox 360 or ps3 ??!! not a particularly big game player hence the reluctance to spend a load more dosh on one off the above machines already have the ps2 along with a whole load off very playable games if I thought I could get a decent enough picture quality thru the plasma with just the ps2 I would just hold onto it until it either came to the end off its life or until the ps2 is priced much cheaper !!!

so okay anyone else run there ps2 thru there plasma ?? what results can be achived and what extras will I require ??
Old 29 April 2007, 08:28 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

I run my slimline on my LCD using component cables which gives a good picture if a little blocky since you get to see how low the PS2's resolution output is. Running US games in progressive scan mode improves things.

In answer to your Q's:

1) Yes, the whole screen.

2) None if your TV has the same inputs as you have from your PS2 (eg. Scart), but things are improved with a component cable.
Old 29 April 2007, 09:31 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk
I run my slimline on my LCD using component cables which gives a good picture if a little blocky since you get to see how low the PS2's resolution output is. Running US games in progressive scan mode improves things.

In answer to your Q's:

1) Yes, the whole screen.

2) None if your TV has the same inputs as you have from your PS2 (eg. Scart), but things are improved with a component cable.

Okay thanks for your advice mate, will certainly look forward to giving it a try and at least seeing how the overall picture looks before I bother getting the credit card out again to order a new ps3 / xbox360 !!

okay to let you understand have just taken delivery off this plasma ( still in its box ) next job before anything is to get the wall studs fitted ( see DIY section !! ) in to accept the wall bracket etc etc !!

getting a bit confused about all the different cables etc required for everything ie. video recorder, dvd player and now the psx2 !!!!

okay normally a standard tv would have your scart sockets around the back where you would interface your vcr / dvd player etc I take it most plasmas dont operate with scarts nowadays , do they ??!! am I correct in saying its hdmi cables ???

if not what will I require to hook everything up to the set ?? looked at a components cable on ebay suitable for a psx2 but it looks like the standard lead normally supplied with the ps2 is it not ?? ie. your length off cable with the plug for the ps2 end and the varrious coloured plugs at the other.

having just looked up the spec for this panasonic plasma I have here it shows as having :

componets video input : yes
hdmi inputs : 2

given the above spec would I be correct in saying that it will be able to accept the component lead from the psx2 and also the hdmi cables (?? ) from both the vcr and the dvd player ???

please someone simplify things for me getting slightly confused now on what I will require to hook everything up ??!!

cheers
Old 29 April 2007, 07:56 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Anyone ??

also does this component cable required for the psx2 carry the sound off the ps2 as well ??
Old 30 April 2007, 10:21 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Your new screen should still have Scart sockets the same as old one.

Component carries video only. HDMI carries video and audio.

The component cable (red/blue/green plugs) is not the same as the standard composite cable (yellow/red/white plugs). The component cable will give a significantly better image over composite.

You don't say which other equipment you're connecting at what outputs are provided.