Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Help - very strange network/cpu problem

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2007, 09:24 AM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - very strange network/cpu problem

Got up this morning and something weird is happening with my PC. I usually run BOINC in the background all the time. It soaks up any remaining CPU time so my CPU utilisation is always 100%. Never had any problems with this, and the PC stays snappy until this morning.

PC working fine this morning apart from network performance. The PC wireless connection seems to be fine and my laptop connects fine and fast, but my PC is really slow. Pages time out or I get transfer rates of less the 2kb/s even between the PC and laptop (eg, FTP) on the local network. However if I suspend BOINC the network connection suddenly picks up. Renable BOINC and it slows down again.

After a bit of investigation I find that if I do anything that uses high CPU (eg, a benchmark program) then the network connection speed drops off. This is really annoying and wasn't doing this yesterday.

Can anyone help? I've googled and googled and got nowhere.
Old 07 April 2007, 11:26 AM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No idea what it was but it seems services.exe wasn't getting any priority on the CPU and this caused the slow down when BOINC was running. Anyway, I reinstalled XP Service Pack 2 and this seems to have sorted things. Fingers crossed.