Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2007, 11:53 PM
hamyam
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you do?

Hi I have been with freeserve now orange for a few years and last month phoned them up to cancel my contract as I want to change over to sky, I followed this up with 2 emails. They have ignored this and taken out enough months’ subscription, what should I do? I can’t join sky until they cut me off. Any help be good ta.
Old 06 April 2007, 11:57 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Ask them for your MAC code and stay on the phone till you get it. Estalate to a team lead/manager if they refuse. Once you have your MAC code you can go were you like. As soon as your new ISP has the mac code and you sign up with them your Orange contract is over.

I just swapped from Bulldog to Orange using this method.

Last edited by T5OLF; 07 April 2007 at 12:02 AM.
Old 07 April 2007, 12:02 AM
hamyam
Scooby Regular

The problem is I changed my phone number a few months ago to go ex directory and didn’t tell orange, never thought to as everything was still working. Now they are saying they can’t give me the Mac code as the numbers different.
Old 07 April 2007, 12:04 AM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Mmm sound a bit sus to me, give them your new number and ask for MAC?
Old 07 April 2007, 12:12 AM
hamyam
Scooby Regular

I have tried to give them my new number but they said they can’t give me a Mac code as I changed it?
Old 07 April 2007, 12:12 AM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

BBC - Radio Five Live - Pods and Blogs

Moneysupermarket.com - MAC Code and Terrible Support
Old 07 April 2007, 12:13 AM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Phone the number below and request your MAC code, if they say no, ask them why if they've signed up to the MAC code scheme that means they're committed to giving you your MAC code within 5 working days.

Orange (Wanadoo UK plc) 0870 0102 462 Option 2

If an ISP says they can't give you a MAC code they're lying, obtaining a MAC code is a relatively easy thing to generate no matter whether you're on the BT network or not.
Old 07 April 2007, 12:16 AM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Looks like they are all up to no good regarding MAC codes. I had no probs with Bulldog, MAC code arrived within 24 hours. Hope you get it sorted, just call them everyday till they get fed up with you. Each time ask to speak to a manager and get thier name.
Old 07 April 2007, 12:16 AM
hamyam
Scooby Regular

thanks ill phone them in the morning ,as i have already given them a months notice am i in the right to cancel my direct debit?
Old 07 April 2007, 12:19 AM
hamyam
Scooby Regular

what hapens if they refuse to give me the mac code?
Old 07 April 2007, 12:28 AM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

I would email them, if you can tick the "Return receipt" option so you know they got the mail and you have proof of it and send them a letter recorded delivery stating you are cancelling then cancel your DD.
Old 07 April 2007, 12:33 AM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hamyam
what hapens if they refuse to give me the mac code?
A MAC code allows you to change from one ISP to another without loss of service. You would proberbly be without B band whilst you sort out a new ISP but not 100% sure on that one.

You can always sign up to pay as you go dial up until you get sorted, I did this when orange forgot to mention they had no BB modems for 2 weeks and bulldog had cut me off.
Old 07 April 2007, 01:31 AM
swampster
Scooby Regular

They can't officially deny you a MAC code any more, it's no longer a voluntary system that ISP's "signed" upto or ignore. It's now a mandatory requirement to provide a MAC if you request one.. and within 5 working days. They are no longer allowed to charge for a MAC, nor can they with-hold one if you owe them money. These rules came into force on 14th February this year.

If you aren't getting any joy from Orange, speak to the new ISP you are planning to move to they might be able to help as they can see what tags are on your line etc, alternatively make a complaint to OFCOM informing them the date of MAC request and the ISP concerned etc.

Info:
thinkbroadband :: Compulsory migration process for DSL providers starts on 14th February
New ADSL Migration Rules Proving Successful
BBC NEWS | Technology | Fast net switchers report success
Old 07 April 2007, 02:10 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I cancelled my contract with UKONLINE three months ago, I emailed, phoned and sent letters.. in the end I cancelled my direct debit. The service still works ... dunno wtf is gonna happen
Old 07 April 2007, 02:23 AM
swampster
Scooby Regular

You need to get it sorted, as they WILL come after you for the money and it's surprising how quickly it racks up. Failure to pay might also mean a damaged financial status.
Old 07 April 2007, 11:40 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by swampster
You need to get it sorted, as they WILL come after you for the money and it's surprising how quickly it racks up. Failure to pay might also mean a damaged financial status.
They should have cut me off by now
Old 07 April 2007, 01:14 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Tiscali denied me a MAC code. I went 2 weeks without BB. The service was terrible.
Old 07 April 2007, 01:21 PM
hamyam
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice, just phoned orange and asked again for my Mac but they again said that as my home phone numbers been changed they can’t give it to me. I then pointed out to them that I had phoned them over a month ago to cancel my contract and they had taken enougher month out. They told me that was a mistake and have funded it back to me, which ive checked and they have. So I asked them why im still on the internet and they said ive been cut off. Seems like pimmo2000 im still receiving there service.
Old 07 April 2007, 02:27 PM
hamyam
Scooby Regular

Phoned sky up for advice and sky told me they can’t do anything till orange take there tag of my line. Orange said they haven’t a tag on the line, it’s a BT one? Never been with BT Really confused,
Old 07 April 2007, 02:40 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Not saying he can do anything, but occasionally it seems MrSaffron over at thinkbroadband.com (formerly ADSL Guide) can get things like this sorted out. He seems to have a direct line to BT Wholesale, who can release the line and give you a MAC themselves. Unfortunately BT Wholesale aren't end user facing, so it needs someone to contact them on your behalf. Failing that then I would contact OFCOM.