Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Played motorstorm today..

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2007, 08:55 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Played motorstorm today..

Hmm,

not to sure really, eycandy was good, with some innovative effects.., although how long they would remain innovative is debatable

gamplay, non exsistant, it would be back for a trade in within 24hrs if it was mine.

The only thing that we (son & myself) agreed on was the lack of rumble, it takes the game from a potential involving experiance, to an average drive em up..

on the good points though, the lack of noise, and the relativly cool (tempwise) ness of the console got a thumbs up..

As the saying goes "This Console is usless without rumble!!!"

Mart
Old 07 April 2007, 11:34 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Motorstorm is really best played online - single player as you say, is a bit limited.

IMHO
Old 07 April 2007, 12:20 PM
Awesomepossum
Scooby Regular

FFS you are complaining because the game has no rumble feature

and how long would you expect an innovitive feature to stay innovitive, at least it was innovitive on this launch title

This is like someone with a username PaulPS3 saying i played PGR3 last night and i was dissappointed that there was no feedback support for the steering wheel, it looked really wow but i missed the rumble feature.

The PS3 is going to be here for along time, why not just buy one like me so when exclusive titles come along for each machine then you can simply choose the title that appeals to you and play it on the platform you prefer

Example would be Colin McRae Dirt, which is due out for the 360 and PC a few months before the PS3. Now in this case i will go for the 360 version as it is released first but when the PS3 version comes out i will trade the 360 version in for that because i prefer the DFP wheel for feel and quality against the Microsoft 360 wheel which feels cheep and not as capable

I played Resistance pretty much all night last night and i must say it really does look and feel like a proper next gen game. The small things like the physics of the enviroment and the fact the vast enviroment is deformable and detailed down to a level, i personally have not seen before. I liked the way you have to shake the controller, making use of the motion sensing capabilities of the sixaxxis pad, to get the Face Huggers type thingymyjig's off, again never seen this on any console i have owned. So there are a couple of features on launch titles that i have never seen before, shows me that the console truely is next-gen and will be an excellent platform for future gaming titles.

The Playstation is dead.......long live the Playstation

Gonna play some more Resistance to try get past the level where i am attacked by about 40 odd Facehugger things in a tight alley then later play MotoGp on the 360
Old 07 April 2007, 01:15 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

To be honest he's got a point though. I can't imagine playing a driving game these days with at the minimum rumble (and preferably force feedback) support. I certainly wouldn't get the ps3 version of dirt over the 360 version if it has no support for feedback. It's one of the major gripes I had with motorstorm (plus the lack of gameplay and repetetiveness of it).

I thought Resistance was ok, but not great. Still waiting for a title to make it worth buying one...
Old 07 April 2007, 05:22 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Awesomepossum
FFS you are complaining because the game has no rumble feature

and how long would you expect an innovitive feature to stay innovitive, at least it was innovitive on this launch title

This is like someone with a username PaulPS3 saying i played PGR3 last night and i was dissappointed that there was no feedback support for the steering wheel, it looked really wow but i missed the rumble feature.

The PS3 is going to be here for along time, why not just buy one like me so when exclusive titles come along for each machine then you can simply choose the title that appeals to you and play it on the platform you prefer

Example would be Colin McRae Dirt, which is due out for the 360 and PC a few months before the PS3. Now in this case i will go for the 360 version as it is released first but when the PS3 version comes out i will trade the 360 version in for that because i prefer the DFP wheel for feel and quality against the Microsoft 360 wheel which feels cheep and not as capable

I played Resistance pretty much all night last night and i must say it really does look and feel like a proper next gen game. The small things like the physics of the enviroment and the fact the vast enviroment is deformable and detailed down to a level, i personally have not seen before. I liked the way you have to shake the controller, making use of the motion sensing capabilities of the sixaxxis pad, to get the Face Huggers type thingymyjig's off, again never seen this on any console i have owned. So there are a couple of features on launch titles that i have never seen before, shows me that the console truely is next-gen and will be an excellent platform for future gaming titles.

The Playstation is dead.......long live the Playstation

Gonna play some more Resistance to try get past the level where i am attacked by about 40 odd Facehugger things in a tight alley then later play MotoGp on the 360
Your damm right i,m complaining about no rumble feature...

this is a 3rd gen console, meant to be the best of the best, yet it omits one of the most interactive bits of information, tactile feedback!

lets see, the speccy, C64, CPC464, CPC 6128, Amiga, Atari st, lynx, gameboy, etc, all had driving games, all to a lesser or greater extent were good, but none really made you come back for more.. Then came the next gen consoles, and brought rumble packs. Wow, interaction! the fact that you actually felt you were in the game, took the level of realism above what was on offer.

Yet here we are back with simple drive a car round the track, any console can do that, where is the hook? the interaction??...

Re the innovative graphics, they lasted all of two crashes, then you could see how it was done, and then it wasnt innovative anymore, other bits were good, but they wern't expanded upon (shame)

Eyecandy dosent make a game, it may lure people in, but you need longevity to keep them there, rumble would have been a good start!!

rumble is the defacto standard, why omit it?

given the choice of consoles available, i want the most interactive experiance for my money, why pay 40 quid for a game that will only stimulate two of my senses, when for the same money i can do three?

as i said "this console is useless without rumble"

Mart
Old 07 April 2007, 05:52 PM
Awesomepossum
Scooby Regular

Rumble on Motorstorm.......hahahhahahhahahahaha

Yeah right, the thing would be going all the time with the game being an off roader.......HHHHMMMMM RSI anyone, well me anyway

What about the motion sensing technology? Would that feature not qualify the console for 3rd gen status along with wireless connectivity or were they features available on the 48k Speccy and i never activated them

Laughing so hard at the ""this console is useless without rumble" that i am finding it hard to see the screen for the tears. If Rumble is the thing that really floats your boat then good luck to you, personally i would rather have Force Feedback in a driving game than some sort of rumbling feature that tells you that you travelling over a rough surface when my eyes are already telling me that. I had a session this afternoon of GT HD with the DFP wheel, now that really is a contender for boner of the year, the physics and the feedback through the 900degree wheel is rather special

Keep up the good work and take the rest of the day off, you have earned it

I really need to smoke lots and lots of weed to make me feel like i am "in the game" not have some cheap vibrator create that illusion for me. If the Rumbling thing in your hand is the be all and end all of wether a machine is capable of being called a 3rd Gen console.

Where is the motion sensing technology in the 360, damn with it being a 3rd gen console i thought i would have at least have featured something its competitors were using as std on the Wii and PS3

Thank you and goodnight

May i suggest Ann Summers for your oh so critical rumble feature, strap it to the back of the joypad and rumble away until your hearts content or your partner **** all over the place. Everyone's a winner
Old 07 April 2007, 06:16 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Hit a sore point Awesomepossum?
Old 07 April 2007, 06:23 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

What about the motion sensing technology? Would that feature not qualify the console for 3rd gen status along with wireless connectivity or were they features available on the 48k Speccy and i never activated them
I seem to remember that Microsoft had a motion sensing controller (sidewinder) for the pc several years ago. So, it's not exactly a new idea

I had a session this afternoon of GT HD with the DFP wheel, now that really is a contender for boner of the year, the physics and the feedback through the 900degree wheel is rather special
Now you're making me laugh. It looks fairly pretty, but the physics are just wrong (after all it's just GT4 with higher res graphics). If that satisfies you though then fair enough. Personlly I'm using my DFP on the PC, (with GT legends). Works much better than on the consoles

Rumble is no substitute for force feedback, but you get neither on the PS3 at the moment. At least the rumble lets you know when a tyre hits a rumble strip, or when you are fighting for grip etc. Without even that basic interaction, it feels pretty hollow imo...
Old 07 April 2007, 07:37 PM
Awesomepossum
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 16vmarc

Hit a sore point Awesomepossum?
Not really mate as i own both consoles, i just dont like people dissing one console or the other for what are petty reasons in the grand scheme of things

Iain, i can assure you that GT HD aint no GT4 with fancier graphics. The underlying physics are far superior to the PS2 version and make for a much more satisfying experience. It is a tad limited with only one track but the track has enough varied corners to keep me entertained with the DRP and a R32 with 650hp

As for Legends on the PC, played it and enjoyed it but just dont like the idea of chasing the latest graphics card and stuff just to run it at a decent speed and resoloution, hence the reason i have went down the console route. The sidewinder comment is unfair as we are referring to consoles here
Old 07 April 2007, 09:16 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Not really mate as i own both consoles, i just dont like people dissing one console or the other for what are petty reasons in the grand scheme of things

Iain, i can assure you that GT HD aint no GT4 with fancier graphics. The underlying physics are far superior to the PS2 version and make for a much more satisfying experience. It is a tad limited with only one track but the track has enough varied corners to keep me entertained with the DRP and a R32 with 650hp

As for Legends on the PC, played it and enjoyed it but just dont like the idea of chasing the latest graphics card and stuff just to run it at a decent speed and resoloution, hence the reason i have went down the console route. The sidewinder comment is unfair as we are referring to consoles here
So why is not having rumble, petty in the scheme of things?

If your going to drop £399 on a console thats touted to be the be all and end all, it should be pretty well all singing and dancing

its all about stated and implied needs, as i said, rumble should be implied, its like selling the next gen scooby without 4wd or turbo!, imagine the fuss that would make. Not a potential add on if and when at a later date.

btw neither rumble, ff or motion sensing can ever match the real thing, they cant convey the one thing missing from any home simulation, and thats inertia!...

wheres the apeal about driving round a track with no feedback, i can get out my old atari woody and play pole position if i want to do that

what in you opinion then is the grand scheme of things? pray tell? what does the PS3 offer that i should go and shell out for?

Given that ive got (or have access to ) the majority of consoles and handhelds that have hit the shelves over the last decade or more, i,m not about to add something to the collection that at the moment isnt flooring the opposition.

Now if it had got full backward compatibility & the emotion chip included & rumble then i,d have ripped Sonys arm off at launch, at the moment i,m going to stick with the PS2 & PC untill the playing field pans out.

BTw if i were you prehaps you need to invest in a proggy called "woman 2.0 ", it saves having to use ann summers

Mart
Old 07 April 2007, 09:28 PM
Awesomepossum
Scooby Regular

Nah mate, your the one clinically obsessed with your vibrating

My copy of "women 2.0" if playing the 360 just now, Oblivion while i play the stunningly brilliant Resistance, you know the one where you have to shake the motion sensitive pad to get rid of the blood sucking zombies. Now what game have i seen that feature before, hhhhhmmmm thats right none. More i play Resistance, more it reminds me of Halo2 except bigger and better

Tomorrow we are taking her STI RA V-Limited, my 555 version is in a 100bits the noo, a run up to Loch Lomand for me to interact with her GUI

I had the money spare as a bonus and a weeks holiday from work, so i bought a PS3. Not as if i was camping out overnight to get my hands on one.

I am NOT regretting spending such an amount to get one, my original plan was to wait until the price came down a bit but as above the circumstances allowed for me to buy one without any stress.
Old 07 April 2007, 10:13 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Nah mate, your the one clinically obsessed with your vibrating

My copy of "women 2.0" if playing the 360 just now, Oblivion while i play the stunningly brilliant Resistance, you know the one where you have to shake the motion sensitive pad to get rid of the blood sucking zombies. Now what game have i seen that feature before, hhhhhmmmm thats right none. More i play Resistance, more it reminds me of Halo2 except bigger and better

Tomorrow we are taking her STI RA V-Limited, my 555 version is in a 100bits the noo, a run up to Loch Lomand for me to interact with her GUI

I had the money spare as a bonus and a weeks holiday from work, so i bought a PS3. Not as if i was camping out overnight to get my hands on one.

I am NOT regretting spending such an amount to get one, my original plan was to wait until the price came down a bit but as above the circumstances allowed for me to buy one without any stress.

As i said, if oblivion had been available at release (as stated by Sony) theni would be playing it now. however it wasnt, so i,m not..

prhaps if any of the shops had been showing resistance, then i might be interested in that, but as all the shops are doing is showing MS & VF5 they ar,nt doing the console any favours....

Interesting aspect about wiggeling the six axis to remove face huggers but wouldnt you agree that the experiance would be improved with some tactile feedback (rumble)...

enjoy your 555, at least that has some inertia

mart
Old 08 April 2007, 03:34 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would disagree with you whole heartedly on that one. IMHO the graphics are far from a major next gen leap over the original PS2 GT4 stuff, let alone the samey old game play. This is supposed to be the BEST console and the BEST racing franchise..... give me a break. "GT" is now yesterdays news.... they need to dramatically change and improve this game if they think it will cut the mustard this time round.
Old 08 April 2007, 06:53 PM
Awesomepossum
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webmaster
I would disagree with you whole heartedly on that one. IMHO the graphics are far from a major next gen leap over the original PS2 GT4 stuff, let alone the samey old game play. This is supposed to be the BEST console and the BEST racing franchise..... give me a break. "GT" is now yesterdays news.... they need to dramatically change and improve this game if they think it will cut the mustard this time round.
I mentioned the underlying physics of the game are a major leap over GT4. On the graphics front there are improvements that show the power of the system running the game. The view of the driver working away at the wheel takes a fair few polygons to pull off as smoothly as it does and did not feature in GT4. It is the little things like that example that make the FREE demo a worthwhile download.

I really think the next installment of the GT series will make you rue that harsh statement.

I am confident that the future of the PS3 in general and the GT series will be a rosy one
Old 08 April 2007, 07:13 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I mentioned the underlying physics of the game are a major leap over GT4.
I read a quote from the developers of the game a while ago which said the physics were the same as GT4. The demo is just a graphics update.

I really think the next installment of the GT series will make you rue that harsh statement.
It better had. Latest rumoured release date is late 2008, so they've got a long time to try and get it right. Needs to be a huge improvement over GT4 imo. The whole series is feeling very tired at the moment...
Old 08 April 2007, 08:07 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the graphics front there are improvements that show the power of the system running the game. The view of the driver working away at the wheel takes a fair few polygons to pull off as smoothly as it does and did not feature in GT4. It is the little things like that example that make the FREE demo a worthwhile download.

I am confident that the future of the PS3 in general and the GT series will be a rosy one
Sorry.... but having a driver that is moving smoothly is hardly worthy of the "Next Gen" label. I appreciate the download is free, but I have said it before and I will say it again.... we have all been told and are continued to be told that the PS3 is THE most powerfullest console around. That demo doesnt show us anything new in real-terms. As a marketing ploy.... I think they have shot themselves in the foot with that demo.... it's all the "same old". Forget the physics.... the GT series is way behind anything like Richard Burn's Rally etc. That is real physics. Like I said, unless they totally revamp the game, I think they will struggle. IMHO a racing game like PGR add's so much more to the now boring GT gameplay.

.... and yes I have a PS3.

As regards to GT5 making me rue my previous statement.... I very much doubt it. They said GT4 was going to be so much this and that, again apart from the improved graphics it gave nothing extra, worthy of another release.

And I'm still waiting for the illusive GT Mobile!!!!!!!
Old 08 April 2007, 08:40 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

GT4 handled terribly compared to 3 in my opinion. I just didn't like it. If anything 2 was best with the muscle cars
Old 08 April 2007, 09:07 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

I must say that i'm getting into motorstorm a bit and its a pretty good game, a bit arcadey but still fun and involving.

GT is really quite a dissapointment, it looks pretty good but the handling is awlful, i've tried to like it but only last about 5 minutes playing it before i have to turn it off. Its all understeer and slide, there's no grip what so ever its like driving on snow with slicks

F1, Im really getting into, turning alll the aids off and getting into a full weekend is pretty good. The only thing i can really knock it for is the replay's, its all too slow and don't look realistic compared to the way the modern F1 car changes direction

Virtua Tennis is good

Flow, downloaded today. Whats that about, is there any objective????

Lemmings, great game
Old 08 April 2007, 09:23 PM
Awesomepossum
Scooby Regular

I ahve said this statement before as well, with GT it depends how you set the car up in game will relate to how much you get out of it. An example would fitting the car with anything other than N series of tyres will result in Arcade type handling but when people fit the N series, they complain the car is all over the place. I find when fitting these tyres along with proper geometry and realistic suspension settings can result in an almost Sim like experience. Using the DFP on full 900degree mode is the cherry on the cake but the underlying problem with GT4 is they used only a couple of cars for the base physics models, IIRC a mr2 for the MR cars, a MX-5 for the FR, Cant remember what was used for the AWD cars but the EG9 Civic was for the FF cars. The other cars had thier physics based on these cars and extrapolated for either greater or less mass, weight and wheelbase. When setting up a Subaru with real life geometry, susp settings and gearing a realistic time around the ring is possible and the sweaty palms will account for the realism
The GT series of games was never marketed outright as a Simulator, yes it did have "Driving Simulator" in the title but the game was as arcadey as they come but the producers did leave the sim element in there but you need to use the N tyres as a starting poing and take it from there

Click here to watch GT4-1
This was done with N series tyres, proper geometry setting, gearing and no driver aids on and shows realistic times around the Ring can be achieved will using realistic inputs to get the desired results

GT HD does not have the same physics model as a back to back test shows the car needing different inputs to achieve the same result drifting wise.

IMHO, Enthusia has the best user friendly physics of any PS2 game, RBR has the most sim like physics but is way tooo simtastic for the mass market. Imagine if the GT series of games only had physics the same as RBR, do you think it would have sold as many as it did?
Old 09 April 2007, 02:51 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

GT:HD is just a tech demo and yes it does use the same physics engine as previous GT games, this is well known.

Forza 2 is what I'm talkin' about!! Plus it's out very soon, no need to wait years for it like you will be doing for GT5.

The GT series of games was never marketed outright as a Simulator, yes it did have "Driving Simulator" in the title but...
lmao, did you think before you wrote that?

Last edited by rik1471; 09 April 2007 at 02:54 PM.