Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wireless internet help???

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2007, 08:47 PM
Hungrytang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wireless internet help???

Sorry about the silly questions but in not good with this sort of thing..

Ive got AOL broardband thats hardwired via an ADSL modem to my desk PC
(upstairs)

But I want to connect my Nintendo Wii to my internet connection but dont want to have to run any wires as its at the other end of the house.
(downstairs)

Is there a way I can convert my current internet connection to wireless and use it with my Wii??

What equipment will I need and could somone give me a clue what to look for on ebay.....

Thanks
Stu
Old 02 April 2007, 09:29 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

This is in the wrong section but....

you need a wireless router to replace your modem.

One like this for instance...
eBay.co.uk: LINKSYS WIRELESS-G BROADBAND SPEEDBOOTER ROUTER + MODEM (item 320098698323 end time 02-Apr-07 21:30:00 BST)
Old 02 April 2007, 09:47 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

I'd recommend a Netgear DG834G wireless router. In fact that's what AOL supply to new customers so you may even be able to ring AOL and ask them to switch you to their wireless option. If they wont then the router will cost 50quid or so. If ordering make sure you get the V3 model, it's not much better operationally but has a simple wizard to set it up.

Works fine with a nintendo Wii.

If you find the signal isn't fantastic (depending on distance and number of walls) then you can buy replacement aerial for the back of the router for 10quid which are direct replacements with a better gain. As a guide a distance of 20feet or so through a single brick wall will give 60% signal strength, the worst walls are the partition ones with foil backed plasterboard.

On a final note make sure you set up security on your wireless network. If you leave it open the neighbours will be able to use it (and possibly access your PC !). I can see 2 other networks from my house. Use WPA-PSK with a pre-shared key. Sounds complicated, but that router makes it so easy to set up and pre-shared key just means a 11 char password you enter on both the router and any equipment connecting to it.

Drop me a PM if you get one and need any help.

BTW: Ebay's not much cheaper for these as they are the most popular wireless router in use and shop prices are pretty low, so have a browse around as some of the ones on ebay are recons with only 90day warranty. (I was looking for one for a friend yesterday)

Last edited by funkyspider; 02 April 2007 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02 April 2007, 10:18 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Phone AOL. They should give you a free wireless router.
Old 03 April 2007, 07:34 AM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

Be sure you want to stick with AOL before you do this.

As if your out of contract getting a free one of them now usually means you agree to another 12 month contract.