Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Anyone use Directory Opus 8 as a replacement file explorer?

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2007, 12:41 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use Directory Opus 8 as a replacement file explorer?

look excellent (http://www.gpsoft.com.au/Intro.html), but how does it handle this...

when you copy a directory (and contents) to somewhere else and it ***** up because for some reason couldn't copy a particular file, in explorer you have no real clue what's been copied and what hasn't. this is a pain, especially when you're copying 17000 files and 8gb!!!!!

how does this opus 8 sort that out? can it copy everything it can and then say, this file fecked up?
Old 14 March 2007, 02:21 PM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

not used opus but for that kind of file copy and assuming you may want to do it again I would like at a sync program. Microsoft provide one called synctoy but I find this one better and it will give you a log of all failed files

2BrightSparks | Freeware

look down for syncback freeware

there is a paid for version which is even better
Old 14 March 2007, 03:41 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

I've been using Servant Salamander now for around 6 years - superb piece of software. Servant Salamander File Manager - Homepage.

Richard.
Old 14 March 2007, 09:32 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

I'm using Directory Opus 8.

It really is a superb explorer tool. Waaaaay too many features to list here, but it is very powerful and I'd highly recommend it..

Problem is I've not had an error like the one you have to comment on how it would handle it... TBH the errors I have had can be just as bad at explaining what's wrong as the Windows version... so I don't think it would be of any better use if you got a locked file error...

Try file Unlocker: UNLOCKER 1.8.5 BY CEDRICK 'NITCH' COLLOMB

This little prog sits on your context menu and lists all the other libraries etc that are locking a particular file.. so if you get an error like this..

because some other prog is locking the one your trying to delete/copy, you can quickly see the process and kill it..

The site is pretty good at explaining what it does (even though I've stolen it's thunder) and It's helped me no end...

Last edited by Alan C; 14 March 2007 at 09:35 PM.
Old 14 March 2007, 11:25 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Personally when I am copying something and it fails to copy, the I just tell it to start over, and overwrite all the old stuff. Normally it does not take long if its an isolated issue.

Otherwise the solutions above are really good ones. Personally I used a program called "Second Copy" to sync files.

Its been far too long since I used Directory Opus to comment on that, sorry
Old 15 March 2007, 01:20 AM
cottonfoo
Scooby Regular

I'm glad to see DOpus is still around, haven't used it since 1994 or thereabouts on my Amiga and it was a fantastic piece of software even then.

If you have Cygwin installed then I'd use rsync because that's what it's for, but I wouldn't recommend installing Cygwin just for that. I'd trust DOpus over File Manager any day of the week, without having even tried it on Win32
Old 28 March 2007, 11:00 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

I'm BTT'ing this as I had a tip off (thanks mate ) that an install of Unlocker (on my recommendation) had made a call to the Internet after his installation.

I'm waiting to find out what the call was and where it was going, but this may simply be a legit call back to validate the install, but I thought it best to make you aware...

I've re-installed it any both my NOD32 AV and Spyware setups have detected nothing improper..

I did get a little mixed up as I thought I'd posted the 'Who Lock me' Prog, but I'll keep this here as I've seen no issues and can see no reference on any Vulnerability Alert & AV sites... (apart from a similarly named MS password unlocker that does contain a virus)
Old 28 March 2007, 11:09 PM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

no calls made when I installed it
Old 28 March 2007, 11:19 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I don't feel the need to hide It was I that raised the concern.

I installed Unlocker from the link provided above. Each and every time I right click on a file and run unlocker it makes a call to 212.27.63.123 : 80 .

I allowed it to make a call once (thinking it was for updates), but it still persists making this outbound call. I am using AVG Internet Security (paid for). There are no alerts from it, other than it is making some sort of call for some reason.
Old 28 March 2007, 11:23 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I was using a program called "Who Lock Me", but I believe that was starting to cause Windows Explorer to be unresponsive from time to time. I am still finalising testing on that, as Explorer would freeze once every couple of days due to one of the shell extensions that was installed. Given there were over 500, testing is taking a little time
Old 28 March 2007, 11:41 PM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Translated version of http://soft.softodrom.ru/scr/getc.php?id=6411

looks like it is part of the revised version check ?
Old 29 March 2007, 12:16 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

possibly that is all it is, it works fine with my firewall stopping the communication.