Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Web App monitoring

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2007, 10:40 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Web App monitoring

I am looking after a Jboss server, I am not really a web admin (DBA usually) but am learning and DBA's have to do a bit of web stuff nowadays.

We had a failure the other day, one of the developers had been having a mooch around the directory structure on the server and had a bit of finger trouble and managed to delete a selection of files, these were recovered from tape and slotted back into the structure and I restarted the service, bingo our web application was back.

The developer has been humanely destroyed, well he cant log on that server any ore.
I want to put some monitoring in place that will check whether the page is available, now it is simple to monitor the windows service but during our failure the service was up all the time even though the web page was no available.

So, I am after a method of monitoring the page by issuing a request against it and then seeing what comes back, perhaps using the page source for the login page and checking some specifics in that, I was thinking of doing this via a Perl script run periodically via Tivoli.

Any Suggestions ?
Old 19 February 2007, 10:56 AM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hobbit .

The Hobbit Monitor

Works a treat, we use it for 100's of page scrapes.
Old 19 February 2007, 05:01 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?

Do you need to check functionality, performance or anything fancy?
Old 20 February 2007, 12:46 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

David, have managed to get something working now, I have installed an up to date Perl install and added in a module called http::webtest from Cpan.

All working now, it simply tries the URL and checks the return code and then checks the page text to see whether the login message has appeared, have fiddled about and it all seems to work, just need to wrap it up and integrate and schedule.

Any other suggestions gratefully received, had a look at Hobbit (cheers steve), looks good but I need something lightweight that doesnt cause any problems with regards to introducing new software, a Perl package won't rattle many cages.
Old 20 February 2007, 01:49 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?

No probs.. thats interesting to know..

We have an SSL enabled site and we put a search through every 15seconds and time how long it takes to get a response..

We also do the same with SOAP and API calls to our online infastructure..

We use client vantage..
Compuware Vantage
Old 20 February 2007, 09:16 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

We are just looking at monitoring a rather ropey internal web based system, as I said, one of the devs deleted some files, obviously it was ok during the day they went but went titsup the following morning when the app restarted, took ages to get the call that it was company wide as it has loads of problems that cause http 500 errors so the call centre thought it was that, basically half a day before it was spotted !

The normal http 500 come from really poor Java code with bad coding practice (so I am told), Java Script all over the place and a seemingly random method of transaction isolation, I have done all the possible DBA tweaks but its a wonky app.