Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Mac gurus help!

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2007, 09:23 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mac gurus help!

OK,

So I have created a movie using iMovie and I have now ended up with a 10GB file. Problem is my powerbook doesnt have a DVD burner so I need to transfer it across to my Windows PC to burn it. Was pulling my hair out last night having tried everything but to no avail! Both machines run off the wireless router. So far I have looked at:

FTP - I can use the OS X built in FTP which lets me look at my 'home' directories but even with web and file sharing enabled it wont allow me access to me sub-directories. I installed PureFTPd Manager but after installation it just ran and then stopped.

Using an external USB HD - a 250gb lacie which works fine under windows but when I plug it into the mac nothing happens (maybe because it was originally configured from the windows machine?)

I can ping the mac from the windows machine but not vice-versa, not sure why, the file being 10GB is too big to email and I have webspace scattered all over the place but nowhere big enough to handle this. Also these so called free storage places that give you 10-25GB normally limit the size of the files or the amount you can download.

I guess Im just left with going to buy an ethernet cross-over cable but I wonder if there are any other options? It shouldn't be this hard!

Cheers

Gary
Old 18 January 2007, 10:22 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

as a bodge fix, on the Mac, move the file into the folder that you can see from the PC, it will be HD->Users->yourusername and then copy it across.

The problem is likely to be your file/folder permissions but if all you want to do is move that file from Mac to PC it should work.

Are both IP addresses within the same range and the same subnet mask?

On the Mac, open a finder window and click the network button on the top left, can you see your PC anywhere?
If so, what happens when you click the connect button? You should at least be able to dump it into your shared folder.
Old 18 January 2007, 12:58 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

On the mac, go into System Preferences and then Sharing and see if "Windows Sharing" is enabled, you'll also want to click the option to enable accounts to be able to access the machine. I know this isn't needed to copy *from* the mac to but if the PC can ping the mac and not "see" it, that's probaly why.
It also means that the PC should then be able to connect to the mac by going into Windows Explorer and typing in \\IPAddressOfMac\ (where IPAddressOfMac is the IP of the Mac). It should then prompt for the name and password, so enter that and you'll see your home folder (this is the only default share on a mac, you can use hornware's SharePoints app to share other folders if you wish).
Once connected you should be able to copy the file over.

As for why the mac cannot ping the PC, most odd, but it could be the PC's firewall preventing it. If you want to get the mac to connect to the pc, go to the Go menu, select Connect to Server and enter the following: smb://IPAddressOfPC/ and then click Connect. You should be asked to enter an account name for an account on the PC, if you get that far then you should be able to connect and copy the file across.
You might also want to display simple windows sharing, which I think can be done by going into Windows Explorer then into the Folder Options and along with the list of other things you can change there should be, at the bottom an option about file sharing which you either want to enable/disable (think it's initally set to "use simple windows file sharing", so disable it). I'm not totally sure what the option actually does, but I know in the past when I've had problems I've unchecked it and it's allowed me to access things I wasn't previously able to.

FTP - What you're seeing is quite normal behaviour under Mac OS X. The Finder will mount any FTP server as read-only, even if you have full control to it. If I recall the reason for this is that unlike SMB/CIFS and AFP FTP is a transfer rather than a filing protocol. Whatever. Use something like Interarchy if you want to FTP.

As for the Lacie drive, interesting that the mac cannot see it. Inital thought is that it might be a USB 2.0 only device and the mac only has USB 1.1. If it's a self powered device then you'll need to connect it directly to the Mac and not through the ports on another device, probably won't get enough power otherwise.
Partition wise, Mac OS X 10.4.8 (not sure what you are running, but am fairly sure that anything post 10.3.x should be the same) can mount FAT32 and NTFS partitions on the desktop. FAT32 is mounted read/write, but NTFS is mounted read-only (not sure exactly why though, and I hope it does change in 10.5), so if the drive was NTFS then you'd not be able to copy to it anyway.

As for the ethernet crossover cable, depending on what type of mac you have you may well find you can use a normal ethernet cable as some macs do have the abilty to auto-switch their ethernet port if they detect a direction connection to another machine, I know that my G4 iBook does this (well pretty sure I've read somewhere that it does).

Bottom line, I'd try to get the filesharing route setup as it's probably the simplest route. It's certainly possible as I use it here to share between Mac and PC all the time.
Old 18 January 2007, 04:47 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

*Are both IP addresses within the same range and the same subnet mask?*

Yes.

*On the Mac, open a finder window and click the network button on the top left, can you see your PC anywhere?*

No.

On the mac, go into System Preferences and then Sharing and see if "Windows Sharing" is enabled, you'll also want to click the option to enable accounts to be able to access the machine. I know this isn't needed to copy *from* the mac to but if the PC can ping the mac and not "see" it, that's probaly why.
It also means that the PC should then be able to connect to the mac by going into Windows Explorer and typing in \\IPAddressOfMac\ (where IPAddressOfMac is the IP of the Mac). It should then prompt for the name and password, so enter that and you'll see your home folder (this is the only default share on a mac, you can use hornware's SharePoints app to share other folders if you wish).

For some reason cannot map a network drive. Just says \\192.168.1.3\ not found.

*As for why the mac cannot ping the PC, most odd, but it could be the PC's firewall preventing it. If you want to get the mac to connect to the pc, go to the Go menu, select Connect to Server and enter the following: smb://IPAddressOfPC/ and then click Connect. You should be asked to enter an account name for an account on the PC, if you get that far then you should be able to connect and copy the file across.*

tries for ages the I get error -36.

*You might also want to display simple windows sharing, which I think can be done by going into Windows Explorer then into the Folder Options and along with the list of other things you can change there should be, at the bottom an option about file sharing which you either want to enable/disable (think it's initally set to "use simple windows file sharing", so disable it). I'm not totally sure what the option actually does, but I know in the past when I've had problems I've unchecked it and it's allowed me to access things I wasn't previously able to.*

Yep setup a share, it just cannot see the win machine even with the firewall off.

*FTP - What you're seeing is quite normal behaviour under Mac OS X. The Finder will mount any FTP server as read-only, even if you have full control to it. If I recall the reason for this is that unlike SMB/CIFS and AFP FTP is a transfer rather than a filing protocol. Whatever. Use something like Interarchy if you want to FTP.*

OK may give that a try.

*As for the Lacie drive, interesting that the mac cannot see it. Inital thought is that it might be a USB 2.0 only device and the mac only has USB 1.1. If it's a self powered device then you'll need to connect it directly to the Mac and not through the ports on another device, probably won't get enough power otherwise.
Partition wise, Mac OS X 10.4.8 (not sure what you are running, but am fairly sure that anything post 10.3.x should be the same) can mount FAT32 and NTFS partitions on the desktop. FAT32 is mounted read/write, but NTFS is mounted read-only (not sure exactly why though, and I hope it does change in 10.5), so if the drive was NTFS then you'd not be able to copy to it anyway.*

Could be a USB 2.0 device, Im not sure but will check.

*As for the ethernet crossover cable, depending on what type of mac you have you may well find you can use a normal ethernet cable as some macs do have the abilty to auto-switch their ethernet port if they detect a direction connection to another machine, I know that my G4 iBook does this (well pretty sure I've read somewhere that it does).*

Do I need to turn off DHCP on both machines? Do I need any software, got the cable but still no joy, I really appreciate your help guys but I am about to put both machines in a sturdy box and throw a grenade in and say **** everything!

Gary

Bottom line, I'd try to get the filesharing route setup as it's probably the simplest route. It's certainly possible as I use it here to share between Mac and PC all the time.
Old 18 January 2007, 05:34 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

What version of Mac OS X and Windows are you using? Is it XP Pro or XP Home?

It's certainly possible to share files between them, it sounds as though something is not letting the machines see each other.
Old 18 January 2007, 05:42 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Go into sysprefs->sharing->personal web sharing and turn it on

go to you PC and type in the IP addres of the mac - do you see a holding page?
Old 18 January 2007, 06:53 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

loads of good ideas here lads..

but not wanting to be a pain, but once you get the file over, have you considered what the file is. have you exported the imovie file as a quicktime movie etc, because unless you have, no way will the pc understand a native imove file...sorry to throw that in the mix
Old 18 January 2007, 07:02 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Tony,

yes its rendered as quicktime so no probs with that.

Marcus, yes Ive shared stuff before, I reckon there is something iffy about the windows lappy, its running xp home. The mac is running jaguar 10.2.8 (Yeah I know I know!)

Rich, no even putting in my mac sign-on credentials it just keeps asking for a username and password, over and over, that worked yesterday (I could see directories but nothing else) but now I cant even do that.

Its no good, that 24" imac ive been toying with buying has moved near the top of the shopping list now.

All I can do now (if possible) is zip it and split it into several files and use my 1gb pen drive to move the bits across.

Guys, you're all stars!

Gary
Old 19 January 2007, 09:15 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

"go to you PC and type in the IP addres of the mac - do you see a holding page?"

This is starting the built in webserver in OSX, by going to Internet Explorer (perhaps I should have mad that bit more clear ) and typing the IP address, you should get an Apache (I think) holding page. This means the PC can at least see the Mac.
Old 19 January 2007, 09:44 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Rich

Yes I can get the apache holding page, how would I then access my file for download?

Cheers

Gary
Old 19 January 2007, 10:12 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

sorry Gary, was just establishing that you could at least connect...

This is a bit of a crap solution BUT if you move the file into the following folder on your mac:
Macintosh HD/Library/WebServer/Documents

Then in that folder create a text file using BBedit or Word (Save as Text File) or something that save as .txt (Not TextEdit annoyingly!) save it in the same folder:Macintosh HD/Library/WebServer/Documents

<html>
<body>
<a href="replace_this_with_filename">Click Me</a>
</body>
</html>

Save this file AS TEXT and call it download.html

Then on your PC go to http://<your_macs_ip_address>/download.html

Right click the link and choose save target as, choose somewhere and see if you get it!
Old 19 January 2007, 01:49 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

I went through the same, however to make things a bit easier for burning i brought the movie into iDVD and burnt an image file (.img) which most Windoze burning software shouldn't have a problem with. Strangely i had no problems viewing the mac from the pc or vice versa..... so can't be any help with that at all .

Tony.
Old 19 January 2007, 02:33 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Rich,

OK that is working but still with yet another caveat!

Ive got my HTML page which shows the download link, however when I click the link it starts to download and says the file size is 560MB when in actual fact it's 8.49GB, so when its downloaded its obviously not the full size and wont play, Im not sure why its picking up that file size?

Cheers

Gary
Old 19 January 2007, 02:47 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

lol
oh dear - it was worth a go but the windows sharing really should work.

Have you right clicked on a folder on your PC, said share this folder, then on the Mac, in the Finder, from the Go menu, choose connect to server, pressed browse - Does the PC still not exist?

OR on the Mac, how about starting FTP in the sharing tab or sys prefs. Then on the PC going to ftp://<macs_ip_adress> and then loggin in with your mac account username and password.
If this logs you in you should be in your home folder HD->Users-><you>
You could move the file into there and grab it...
Old 19 January 2007, 04:18 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Rich,

Yes the FTP route isnt working, I cant login even though I am entering the right password, Ive even tried ftp://<username>@<macs ip address/<username> it prompts me for the password which I know is right, enter it and it says error 530 login incorrect.

Many thanks for your continued efforts, looks like Im gonna have to get hold of another USB drive it just isnt going to work!

Cheers

Gary
Old 19 January 2007, 04:27 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

do it without the username on the end!

try it like :

ftp://<username>:<password>@<ipadress>
Old 20 January 2007, 11:20 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Rich,

Yes tried that still no dice!

IE just keeps asking me for username and password over and over
FF just says 530 Login incorrect

It is not gonna happen, something is conspiring against me! Thanks again for your perserverance!

Gary
Old 20 January 2007, 02:09 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

what about if you do it through the 'add a network place'?

Double check you are using the Mac's IP address on the PC - I know it's daft but I've seen dafter things happen...

Could try adding a new user account on the mac, it will create a new set of home folders.

You don't have any firewalls running on either side or anything that be stopping things.
On the Mac, go sys prefs->sharing->firewall and if it's turned on, make sure the FTP box is ticked!

How about taking screen shots of both your PC and Mac network control panels/prefs and either posting them up or sending to me... It may be something really silly that you just haven't noticed cos you're too close to the problem.
Old 20 January 2007, 03:22 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Rich,

Yep checked mac's IP addy and firewall is off on the mac and has been all along.

I had one other option open to me I hadnt considered, use my iPod and iTunes, disable the auto sync and select use as hard disk and copy the file that way, fairly labourious but its got the job done!

thanks again

Gary
Old 20 January 2007, 04:12 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Get a gmail account and email it there. You can then download it from the PC easily.
If you'd like a gmail invite just PM me.
Andy
Old 20 January 2007, 04:13 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Forget that idea, just checked and it's only 2.8Gb on gmail
Old 20 January 2007, 04:36 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

andy,

thanks anyway! Yes if you need to move *big stuff* your options on the web are pretty limited.

Gary
Old 20 January 2007, 05:49 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Annoying though, I want to know why it's not working!
Old 20 January 2007, 06:15 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Rich,

Where are you, come round then!

Gary