Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wireless, signal strength - again....

Search this Thread

Old 26 December 2006, 11:50 AM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wireless, signal strength - again....

Upgraded from the Netgear DG834GT to the DG834PN (MIMO) to try to get some sort of signal around the entire house. Not really sure the 834PN made any difference whatsoever.
Anyhow, it now means that I've two wireless routers in the house - is there anyway I can use them both together to either extend the range or have 2 different networks from the same ADSL source?

The house is an odd shape (offset H pattern) and it is an old house with stone walls.

The 834GT with a high gain ariel probably gave me as good a signal as I'm getting from the PN model.

I know to get the best performance from the PN model I need to use the matching MIMO receiver but this doesn't help when trying to use it to connect to an XBox.
Old 26 December 2006, 03:14 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hhhmmmm

I guess if you set up a networking using one of the routers with the internet and then connected the second router to another computer and told the computer that connects through that to gets its connection via anoher computer on the network that would work... cant see it being very good though....

a better way to do this though would be to use a bridge, a wireless middle man if you like not sure if your router supports access points but worth looking in to
Old 26 December 2006, 03:17 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmmm,

If you are living in a very old house with super thick walls then you will have problems.

Have just set up a netgear wireless system for a friend who lives in a 16th century cottage. The walls are thicker than a nuclear bunker.

The solution I put in place was the NIMO router plus a combination of XE102's (see here Wall-Plugged Ethernet Bridges) and WGXB 102 (see here http://netgear.co.uk/wallplugged_ran...r_wgxb102.php).

This has got a combination of wireless and wired routes round his house.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

WB

Damn - Pimmo beat me to it. BTW what happened to your problem with the P900; solved?
Old 26 December 2006, 03:17 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

hmmm... you stole my hmmmmmm

See bridges all one big happy family
Old 26 December 2006, 03:22 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,

I don't think so. Ive always had this Hmmmmmmmm so go get your own.!

I am nothing without my Hmmmmmmmmmmm

WB
Old 26 December 2006, 06:18 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wacky.banana
Hmmmm,

If you are living in a very old house with super thick walls then you will have problems.

Have just set up a netgear wireless system for a friend who lives in a 16th century cottage. The walls are thicker than a nuclear bunker.

The solution I put in place was the NIMO router plus a combination of XE102's (see here Wall-Plugged Ethernet Bridges) and WGXB 102 (see here http://netgear.co.uk/wallplugged_ran...r_wgxb102.php).

This has got a combination of wireless and wired routes round his house.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

WB

Damn - Pimmo beat me to it. BTW what happened to your problem with the P900; solved?
Never had time to crack the P910 - bottom of the list just now after the XBox 360 (hence network Q), playing with the Wii and fixing the central heating boiler

I'll have a look at the stuff you've both suggested
Old 26 December 2006, 06:43 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wacky.banana
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,

I don't think so. Ive always had this Hmmmmmmmm so go get your own.!

I am nothing without my Hmmmmmmmmmmm

WB
I've never known you have have an hmmmmmmmm.... in fact I've only just noticed you even have an hmm