Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Western Digital WD2500KS drive - anyone had any issues?

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2006, 07:05 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Western Digital WD2500KS drive - anyone had any issues?

I'm not having much luck atm

I have PSU fans that sound like hovermowers, my HTPC had a duff stick of RAM (corsair) that corrupted the OS, and NOW one of my other (new) HDs on my other system has gone on the fritz.

At first, just by the loud clucking it was making I thought it was dead (after a month of perfect use). And then started pouring the whisky to drown the sorrows of losing two days of data (forgot to back up over the wk/e). When, whilst I was firing up the drive to run a diagnostic (to attach to my RMA). The ruddy thing fires up a works like nothing has happened So I pull off the data sharpish, so nothing is lost

Then I ran some tests, SMART says it fine, as does scandisk, and Western Digital's diagnostics "quick test". But it did fall over on the extended test saying there is a load of corrupt sectors, so at least I can send it back based on that. Also speedfan's online analysis said it was a bit dodgy (although I have a seemingly healthy Maxtor that it reckons is dead and a sick IBM deathstar that it reckons its ok, so its hardly accurate ).

The worry is, I have two other drives of the same model and batch. One is particular is a bit noisy, and when idling it sometimes starts constrantly buzzing like its accessing data, when it isn't. It'll do this for ages until I click something which causes the HD to access something - the others don't do this (nor the half dead one). But everything checks out ok, but based on my tests with teh half dead drive, that doesn't really mean much.

Anyone else had any issues?

(Knew I should have had a Maxtor )
Old 11 December 2006, 08:00 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Used these in a fileserver system and haven't had a problem yet!! (about 6 months daily use).

I changed from Maxtor for my drives because I had a (relativley) high failure rate. Having said that, my main Shuttle Maxtor is going strong after nearly 3 years.
Old 12 December 2006, 10:45 AM
CaptainJohn
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As jowl says I`ve had loads of maxtor HD`s go **** up and I`ll never use them again. I`ve three WD`s at the moment that re superb !!. (touch wood etc.). Can`t beat the raptors.
Old 12 December 2006, 01:37 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

3 WD here as well, all been fine so far touch wood.
Old 12 December 2006, 02:43 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Funny, It's the other way round for me . Just had my first Maxtor out of seven go on me two weeks back. And it was over six years old and in daily office use (1st gen super noisy 7000rpm ), so it did well.

I only comment on this as I've seen a fair number of these drives being reported as DOA. And from my previous experience with bad batches of IBM deathstars, was wondering if this is going be another ticking timebomb situation.

Looks I'll have to suck it and see. Typically the noisiest one of the lot is mine - I wouldn't mind a good excuse to swap it for a quieter one

Is there any decent diagnostics I can run? I've done the usual surface scans and used WD's own tools etc, just wondering if there is anything else worth trying.
Old 13 December 2006, 11:48 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

OK guys, bit of a deveolpment. The 1st drive is going back as that is definetly duff. But I did an extended scan on the other two using WD's tools overnight. One came out clear however, the other drive had bad sectors on the extended test. Now they've been re-allocated so the disc works ok, but....

Would this warrant the drive to be faulty?...it's only 2 weeks old and has more bad sectors than my 5 year old Maxtors. Is it acceptable on a drive of this age or not?

This is the smart analysis...hope this link works, so you should see what I mean (although it might show up whats stored in the cache or your own disk): S.M.A.R.T. hard disk status and hard disk failure prevention

If it doesn't work - it reports that "Warning: Reallocated Sector Count is below the average limits (200-200)." Current value is 199

NOTE : your hard disk has 12 pending sectors. Those are sectors that couldn't be properly read and that the hard disk logic is waiting for a write operation to try to remap to a spare sector (if available). According to the Reallocated Sector Count attribute, your hard disk seems to have available spare sectors. A simple disk surface scan won't be enough to force the remap operation. You need a read/write surface scan to remap the sector. The best option should be a tool that knows about what should be read from that sector so that it has some option to apply the best fix to the missing data.

NOTE : your hard disk has 13 offline uncorrectable sectors. Those are sectors that an offline scanning found as unreadable. Offline scanning is a process that can be automatically started by the hard disk logic when a long enough idle period is detected or that can be forced by some tool. Those unreadable sectors are identified and the hard disk logic is waiting for a write command that will overwrite them to try to remap them to spare sectors (if available). According to the Reallocated Sector Count attribute, your hard disk seems to have available spare sectors. A simple disk surface scan won't be enough to force the remap operation. You need a read/write surface scan to remap the sector. The best option should be a tool that knows about what should be read from that sector so that it has some option to apply the best fix to the missing data.

What do you think?

Last edited by Shark Man; 13 December 2006 at 11:58 PM.