Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Dual Channel Memory

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2006, 10:17 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Channel Memory

Just got myself a new MSI P965 Platinum Motherboard & Intel Core 2 Duo Processor...

I am now looking at some memory for it, I want to put 1Gb of RAM on the board (looking at these - Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK) but whats this Dual Channel stuff all about? Is it faster? Do I have to have 2x sticks installed?

The above memory is 800Mhz so will 1x of these run at that speed? Or will I need to have 2x 512Mb sticks so it runs in Dual Channel which will then give me 800Mhz?

Oh and one last question what do these figures mean "CAS 5-5-5-12" or "CAS 4-4-4-12, EPP"

Thanks
Old 07 December 2006, 11:40 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

I've just got that motherboard. It implies in the manual that the RAM has to be fitted in pairs, but doesn't actually say so. Some motherboards will ahppily work in single channel mode.

(Simplified) the dual channel means that it drives the channels of memory separately, so it can minimise memory read delays by reading one channel while the other is being made ready to read.

1GB as 2 x 512MB sticks will be slightly faster than 1 x 1GB stick because of that. I'd go with 2 modules. (I put 2 x 1GB in mine).

John.

(Again simplified) the CAS numbers are how many timing pulses the memory needs between being asked for some data and until it's available to be read.

John.
Old 11 December 2006, 06:53 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Ah one other question about the board, did you plug in all 3 power connectors in as well as the PCI-E Graphics card power (directly on the card) i.e. the 24/20 pin ATX connector & 12v 4 Pin Power Connectors (JPWR2) & (JPWR3).

In the manual it says the JPWR3 connector provides power to the graphics card for stable operation. I just don’t want to plug this one in as well as the power connector directly on the PCI-E card and fry something!
Old 11 December 2006, 11:30 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

I plugged them all in, and no frying as yet

John.
Old 12 December 2006, 12:43 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Put it this way, I have an Asus board with dual channel memory. 2 x 1gig sticks

The one RAM stick failed. I removed it so now only have one. The system works. So I can conclude that its not fussy, but having two sticks installed will make the system quicker.

One thing the manual does stae, is that all sticks of RAM should be of the same spec and size for "optimum performance". Something to bear in mind with future upgrades
Old 12 December 2006, 10:21 AM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

youll find most dual channel motherboards colour coded for a reason, these are the 2 channels. To get dual channel performance, fill in one colour then you can fill in the other. Eg i've got (2x1Gb) & (2x512mb) Filling the 2 dual channels also enables the performance mode
Old 12 December 2006, 05:07 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

As stated above, running dual channel should be ever so slightly faster.

Lower latency ram timings (i.e. lower numbers in the 4-4-4-12 etc.) will also be ever so slightly faster...
Old 13 December 2006, 12:44 AM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your help guy's, I ended up getting a pair of these - Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK

Got the new beast up and running now, must say its nice and nippy Dual Core 2 Duo 2.66Ghz, Nvidia 7950GT, 320Gb SATA II Hard Disk etc.

One question for John (as you have the same board as me ) I have a IDE DVD Writer plugged in and the only way I could get it detected was to have the RAID controller enabled and set to IDE, both SATA channels are set to "enhanced". I played around with all the settings but as soon as I disable the RAID controller it fails to detect my DVD Drive, did you experience any problems like this? or more to the point is this the correct way to set it in the BIOS?

Thanks

Last edited by stiscooby; 13 December 2006 at 12:47 AM.
Old 13 December 2006, 09:32 AM
john_s
Scooby Regular

I've only used mine so far with SATA drives (I got a new SATA DVD writer to go with it), so I'm not sure how it behaves with IDE stuff. I'll be finding out though - I've got a IDE hard drive that I use for storage that I've yet to plug in.

Actually, thinking about it, I've not even been into the BIOS yet; everything has worked fine without touching it.

John.
Old 13 December 2006, 08:14 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Ah ok thanks for the response.

If you happen to get a IDE drive working I wouldn't mind knowing how you done it because I have also tried connecting up my old IDE drive to copy my data off it but cant seem to get that working correctly either
Old 14 December 2006, 09:00 AM
john_s
Scooby Regular

You might not like this... I plugged my IDE HDD in and it worked first time.

I had a quick nosy in the bios, but don't remember changing anything.

John.
Old 14 December 2006, 09:13 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stiscooby
Ah ok thanks for the response.

If you happen to get a IDE drive working I wouldn't mind knowing how you done it because I have also tried connecting up my old IDE drive to copy my data off it but cant seem to get that working correctly either
Seeing as youre already a Scan customer, the try one of these: it wont help you to enable the IDE device on your new system board but itll allow you to recover your data. The picture doesnt show the PSU but its supplied (along with a 2.5" converter) and its superb for £11!
Old 14 December 2006, 09:36 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply's I got it sorted in the end. For some reason I think the RAID controller has to be enabled and set to IDE then when the PC boots it goes past the BIOS screen and then displays the RAID controller BIOS screen, here it then displays my IDE Hard Disk & DVD.

I think this is how it is set by default so I probably didn't need the change anything in the first place. I might have had a jumper set incorrectly or something?

I don't know how things would work if I was using the RAID controller for RAID but hey I ain't so im not too bothered
Old 14 December 2006, 11:32 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Good news that you got it going.

John.