Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

"Press spacebar or enter to activate and use this control"

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2006, 01:16 AM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Press spacebar or enter to activate and use this control"

This keeps cropping up at the beginning of a flash site I'm developing.

Anyone know how to get rid of this ?

"press spacebar or enter to activate and use this control" - apparently it was introduced by IE from a recently security update. Trouble is it brings up an ugly border around my opening flash page.

Only happens in IExplorer, and not Firefox

problem solved - in case anyone is interested....

(April 11) Microsoft released an Internet Explorer update in response to the patent battle between Microsoft and Eolas. After installing the update, Internet Explorer (not other browsers, fortunately) users will be required to “activate” embedded objects and plug-ins before they can interact with them. Here’s what sucks, most users will receive this update automatically via Windows Update. Embedded objects and controls affected are:

Adobe Reader
Apple QuickTime Player
Macromedia Flash
Microsoft Windows Media Player
Real Networks RealPlayer
Sun Java Virtual Machine

In order to activate these objects, users are required to press the space bar, enter key, or use the mouse to click on the item. Anyone that’s tested the Internet Explorer 7 beta will have noticed similar behavior within that browser. According to w3schools browser statistics, over 60% of web users browse using Internet Explorer, meaning within the next few days approximately 60% of visitors to Flash websites, or sites using embedded media will be required to activate the media before being able to use it; because of this, some users may assume that the website is broken.

Here’s the good news: Microsoft has posted a solution for web developers that would like to avoid their content being blocked. Essentially, in order to avoid this problem all that a web developer needs to do is embed the object via external script files. Those who have opted for Unobtrusive Flash Object placement within their websites will not be affected, because their content is already embedded in this manner.

What’s ironic about this entire situation is that it actually forces developers to use a more standards compliant approach, go figure.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::: Loading Interactive Controls Externally :::::::::::::::::::

To create Web pages that load interactive controls that respond immediately to user input, use Microsoft JScript to load controls from external script files. You cannot write script elements inline with the main HTML page to load your control externally. If the script is written inline programmatically, for example with the writeln function, the loaded control will behave as if it was loaded by the HTML document itself and will require activation. To ensure a control is interactive when it is loaded, use one of the following techniques to load your control from an external file.
The following example uses document.write to load a control dynamically.
<!-- HTML File -->
<html>
<body leftmargin=0 topmargin=0 scroll=no>
<script src="docwrite.js"></script>
</body>
</html>
// docwrite.js
document.write('<object classid="clsid:6BF52A52-394A-11d3-B153-00C04F79FAA6">');
document.write('<param name="URL" value="example.wmv">');
document.write('<param name="autoStart" value="-1"></object>');

Last edited by spectrum48k; 07 December 2006 at 01:27 AM.
Old 07 December 2006, 08:10 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

kirupa.com - Fixing the Flash/Embed Issue

Strangely I had to find this answer out on Tuesday...

Sorted!
Old 07 December 2006, 10:39 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

You can also add the following JS after the embeded flash movie:

theObjects = document.getElementsByTagName("object");
for (var i = 0; i < theObjects.length; i++) {
theObjects[i].outerHTML = theObjects[i].outerHTML;
}