Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PC running too hot

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2006, 09:24 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PC running too hot

I have an ASUS P5VD1-X motherboard with a 3.4ghz duel processor, agp graphics (for now) and 3 hard drives all in a COOLER MASTER case. Unfortunatly, this is in a confined space, and doesn't get a lot of air to it. This is making the pc run hot, and it's cut out on me a number of times recently as a safety measure due to the heat on the processor. On top of that, the processor fan is driving me mad with its constant whine!
Can you recommend me a decent uprated fan? I was looking at Zalmans, are they any good?
Any good online retailers out there where I could buy one?

Thanks,
Old 04 December 2006, 10:05 AM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

Artic freezer pro - very quiet and cool as a cucumber

or water cooling if youve some spare cash

Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK

Also you can turn your system fans/Cpu fan up to max but this will increase noise a far bit but at least stop it from melt down
Old 04 December 2006, 10:17 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Thanks Justin, can you confirm that will work with a pentium processor?
Found these 2 at aria, good price too! computer components pc systems, parts & peripherals aria

scratch that, know which one to get now, off to aria in a while

cheers mate

Last edited by cw42; 04 December 2006 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04 December 2006, 12:59 PM
scoobyverysoon

Looks like it as your board is socket 775 - just make sure you clean off the old thermal paste properly the new artic cooler comes with paste pre applyed.

My cpu runs between 20 - 25 degrees and that is duel core but my case has very good air flow from front to back.
Old 04 December 2006, 02:48 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Well, it's in so far very quiet, but I've now got another problem when fitting the new cooler and just giving the pc power to make sure it was working ok (it is) I've now noticed that the graphics card fan is not working, which is proberly whats been causing the pc to overheat in the first place!

So, can you recommend a card for less than £100 for me now Justin?
Had a look in aria today, and nearly bought something, however, the choice as you know is staggering. My motherboard has 8x agp and also pci express, I'm presuming pci is the faster of the two? Not bothered about the chipset, just the best card for my bucks.
Play games a lot on here, cod2, far cry, halo, unreal and toca 2, so could do with something that will pump that lot up
Old 04 December 2006, 05:27 PM
scoobyverysoon

Originally Posted by cw42
Well, it's in so far very quiet, but I've now got another problem when fitting the new cooler and just giving the pc power to make sure it was working ok (it is) I've now noticed that the graphics card fan is not working, which is proberly whats been causing the pc to overheat in the first place!

So, can you recommend a card for less than £100 for me now Justin?
Had a look in aria today, and nearly bought something, however, the choice as you know is staggering. My motherboard has 8x agp and also pci express, I'm presuming pci is the faster of the two? Not bothered about the chipset, just the best card for my bucks.
Play games a lot on here, cod2, far cry, halo, unreal and toca 2, so could do with something that will pump that lot up
Yes the PcI E is faster but what speed is the port - 4x /8x 16x I am sure yours is 4 x but not 100% now if it is I dont know if the 8X agp port is better then a 4 x PCI E - I am sure you can use a PCI E 16X card in the 4 x slot but it wont run as its suposed to.

I have a 16 x PCIE gforce 7600 gt Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK its a cheap solid card thats run everything ive thrown at it it also has duel DVI ports that I have hooked up to a 19" widescreen monitor. but its your choice on that one really look here for all sorts of reviews to help you, Tom's Hardware Guide Processors: VGA Charts People still say this is a crap card but it does me for what I use it for - Battlefield 2/Prey/halflife 2/Quake 4 ETC

hope this makes sense maybe someone else might throw a few sugestions into the pot
Old 04 December 2006, 08:18 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

I'm sure it's a x 16 port justin, thanks for the info

I've not got a flatpanel atm, but I've got a converter so no problems there.
I could always factor in a new screen for xmas too
Old 04 December 2006, 08:30 PM
scoobyverysoon

the Graphics card comes with 1 dvi to vga adaptor so you will be ok - but the picture quality is miles better through DVI

Do you not have those daft warning sounds if a fan stops - mine makes a right racket when you first boot at the fans are under a certain RPM then goes normal
Old 05 December 2006, 04:18 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Thanks again Justin.

Didn't get any warning sounds about the graphics card, but when the pc shut down, got loads of bleeps when it started up again, then had to hit F1 to resume. That is now sorted though, and the pc is whisper quiet, and running much better.
I've still some things to upgrade though, I'd like a new monitor at some point, possibly a 19" widescreen, and a new sound system is a must, as this one is feeding back like a SPINAL TAP concert oh, and a sata harddrive for my os would make things nice and quick

money money money!