Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Can Sony sue me for selling my PS3? (if I had one!)

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2006, 10:07 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can Sony sue me for selling my PS3? (if I had one!)

Surely I can do what the hell I like with it, once I've bought it legitimately from Sony ?

Just read eBay are pulling any auctions for PS3's that have been bought abroad and sold over here.
Old 16 November 2006, 11:21 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

I beleive it if its not CE marked then there could be issues about the sales of these goods into the UK but loads of non CE stuff must enter the Uk surely

AllanB
Old 16 November 2006, 11:35 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

If it's not CE marked then a European company could get into trouble for selling it.

If a non-European company, such as Lik Sang (RIP) ships it to a European customer then that is absolutely fine, despite malicious lawsuits from Sony.

Not sure about private sales. They're probably ok, but eBay are probably scared of getting sued, even though they'd win if they had the money to fight it.
Old 16 November 2006, 11:48 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lum
If it's not CE marked then a European company could get into trouble for selling it.

If a non-European company, such as Lik Sang (RIP) ships it to a European customer then that is absolutely fine, despite malicious lawsuits from Sony.

Not sure about private sales. They're probably ok, but eBay are probably scared of getting sued, even though they'd win if they had the money to fight it.
same goes for a game - if I buy a PS2 game, am I within my rights to sell it when I'm done with it ?

I know lots of computer shops do this, but I know Sony mentioned something about stopping this with PS3 stuff. Can't see how they can
Old 16 November 2006, 11:55 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

The only thing that could possibly stop you selling a game is if the law applying to videos and DVDs was applied to games (I'm not sure if it is or not, but I don't think it is)

Assuming it is then if your game was an import then you would not be able to sell it as it's illegal to sell material that doesn't have an age certificate on it.

I think Sony are planning to go with microsoft-style serial numbers and activation, tying your game down to your specific console and your online account.

As far as I'm concerned the best solution if Sony do this will be to buy an XBox 360 instead.
Old 17 November 2006, 12:18 AM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lum
The only thing that could possibly stop you selling a game is if the law applying to videos and DVDs was applied to games (I'm not sure if it is or not, but I don't think it is)

Assuming it is then if your game was an import then you would not be able to sell it as it's illegal to sell material that doesn't have an age certificate on it.

I think Sony are planning to go with microsoft-style serial numbers and activation, tying your game down to your specific console and your online account.

As far as I'm concerned the best solution if Sony do this will be to buy an XBox 360 instead.
Well said!
Old 17 November 2006, 02:30 PM
Mogsi
Scooby Regular

More news on this:

eBay blocks users from selling PlayStation 3 units // GamesIndustry.biz
Old 17 November 2006, 04:58 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Why do Sony love shooting in themselves on the foot all the time?

Actually I think they're progressing to their own boll**ks
Old 17 November 2006, 05:19 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

I think their live service is free, isn't it? Thats something at least.