Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Netservices holding my MAC code ransom?

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2006, 08:21 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Netservices holding my MAC code ransom?

Details of problem below but can Netservices hold my MAC code ransom?
They're refusing to talk at all to V21 customers despite holding our MAC codes - do I not have any legal right to my MAC code.

More than happy to stick with V21/Biscit, they've given me good service for a number of years now.

V21 to Begin Legal Proceedings Against NetServices plc.

London, November 15, 2006 - V21.co.uk Limited, an Internet service provider recently-acquired by Biscit, today announces that it will begin legal proceedings against NetServices plc (EPIC:NSV) seeking substantial seven-figure damages. The legal action results from NetServices decision to novate some of V21's customers to another service provider.

V21 (recently renamed Biscit CSP) has had a commercial dispute with NetServices for some months and began well before Biscit acquired V21 in October 2006. V21 represents about twenty percent of NetServices' business.

Post acquisition, NetServices presented an invoice to V21 for "burst bandwidth charges" for services it claims it provided to V21's customers from as far back as December 2005. V21 rejected this invoice and launched a full audit into every invoice presented by NetServices to V21 since commercial relations were established in December 2005. The audit began last week.

In October, NetServices also refused to provide technical support to V21 customers and MAC codes allowing V21 customers to migrate to Biscit's secure and robust servers or any other provider.

Today, NetServices, whose share price plummetted this year following a profits warning, decided to take the unprecedented decision to migrate some of V21 customers to another ISP called Ezeedsl, part of the 186k group. V21 strongly recommends affected customers to contact NetServices directly on 0870 753 0900, or by email sarahh@netservicesplc.com, and ask for their MAC codes.

Armed with a MAC code, V21 customer ID and telephone number for the broadband service, users can log on to Migration to be reconnected to its superfast broadband services and receive 1 months free broadband compensation. They will then be able to continue using their current email and hosting services without changing any settings whatsoever. Expected downtime to reconnection is 24-96 hours
Old 15 November 2006, 09:42 PM
ChrisB

There's a little bit on ADSLGuide Kevin.

Quite a bit in the Biscit forum, including this one:

I would urge anyone who considers the Netservices offer to be unreasonable to contact Ofcom.. The more complaints they have the better they will be able to argue the need for controls to prevent such actions.

seb

Sebastien Lahtinen
Co-Founder, ADSLguide
seb@adslguide.org.uk
Old 15 November 2006, 09:44 PM
ChrisB

Another bit:

My choices:

1) do nothing and cease order to BT will go through on 24 November.
BT willthen take up to 10 days to cease line.
Another 7 days to sign up to new provider.

2) Sign up with Ezee, get connected straight away at a cost of £24.99 / month paid quarterly.
Thats £75. I used to pay V21 9.99 a month.
Old 15 November 2006, 09:59 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Cheers Chris - I'm halfway though writing a 5hitogram to Netservices pointing out the issues I'll be bringing to OFCOM's attention in the morning. I'll read the other links first.
Old 15 November 2006, 10:56 PM
ChrisB

No problem. We considered Netservices for a project at work. Their techie guy in the meeting was excellent but the sales guy was useless, he couldn't seem to grasp what we wanted and just kept punting standard price lists at us.
Old 16 November 2006, 09:08 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they have 5 working days to provide you with a mac code once requested, according to guidelines.