Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Securing Access Databases

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2006, 08:30 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Securing Access Databases

I have a client who has a very large Access database that has been built up over a number of years and is absolutely integral to the operation of a business. Problem is there is no security.

The database is broken up into two parts, all the forms and queries are in a small access file and then all the tables are in another that is linked.

Both files live on a SBS and there are 5 clients, they simply have a shortcut to the front end (smaller) .mdb file which in turn links to the back end.

Problem is, anyone could just walk a away with the files and 20 years worth of information is there. No doubt previous staff all ready have this data.

Is there any way of password protecting the files?
Perhaps having some some of script that opens the database and will only run if it is within that network - maybe MAC address checking or something.

Could you stop people from viewing the tables in list view and copying the data out?

Long shot I know, I can't really think of any good ways of stopping this.

Other problem is that if the backup disks/tapes are lost/stolen the data is also easily read. Any advice on at least securing them?

All help gratefull received from this Mac user/Windows moaner...

Rich
Old 15 November 2006, 09:34 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Rich,

Sounds like they have outgrown access to me. Yes you can password protect an MDB but its quite easy to obtain password hackers that break them. If they dont have any forms in the MDB then you are better off steering them towards MS SQL which does have the security they need and they can easily migrate the data from Access to SQL. Even better SQL Express 2005 is free and so are the management tools (management studio express).

Gary
Old 15 November 2006, 12:49 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, SQL Server is the obvious route, plus its about the easist to administer, not as easy as Access but probalby more fun than trying to administer a big Access DB which very soon gets quite unpleasant as it cant cope with big volumes.

Oracle also do a free version, called 10G Express edition and there is always MySQL but that may be quite a learning curve for Access users.

I suppose the problem here would be that to migrate you would need a new front end, sounds like a bullet is going to have to be bitten.
Old 15 November 2006, 07:58 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Well, we do have an SBS server with SQL on it, tried importing the data into a new DB but the clients were dog slow and it was crashing, now this could be down to the sheer inefficency of the DB - It is bad - But they are not in a position to completely rewrite it just now plus I don't have the time to do it.

Any experts in the Dorset area apply by PM if you want a little job to help sort it out !
Old 15 November 2006, 10:16 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

These might be helpful:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...t%2FSECFAQ.asp

http://www.vb123.com/toolshed/00_acc...sssecurity.htm
Old 15 November 2006, 10:57 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Thanks Speccy! Much appreciated.