Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Help! so naffed off!!

Search this Thread

Old 09 November 2006, 09:03 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help! so naffed off!!

When i log-on to Snet and now 22B it takes about 45 seconds to click from page to page. It has just taken that time to get to this section after logging on to snet.

It is the same at work on a totally different PC.
About 6 weeks ago the system worked really quickly, but since Snet had it's major 'melt-down' it has gone down hill.
The slowing down seems to be getting progressivly worse.

I an NO computor buff, but any ideas why this would be happening?

All other web sites are fast and clear, but Snet etc really bad now.

Please help.

Graham.
Old 09 November 2006, 10:15 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does work use the same (poor) ISP as you do at home?

Jules
Old 09 November 2006, 10:20 PM
Scooby Regular

Sorry: what is an ISP?
Checked the snet operation the other day at work on a workmate's laptop, and the snet was electric fast (just as mine was).
Internet is via a server at work, pc at home is via AOL.

Just run Norton Antivirus incase a bug was to blame but all ok.
Graham
Old 09 November 2006, 10:54 PM
Surgical Spirit
Scooby Regular

Clear out your temporary internet files - under IE properties. Often gets full and slows everything down. Also try the new IE 7, much better.
Old 10 November 2006, 07:02 AM
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the input.

Last night I asked the Norton program to update itself which took some time.
Completed, the computor closed down and re booted as it should.

The Snet is now running as fast as it ever has. Relieved, but why is this so?
Does Norton scan every 'page' before displaying?
Forgive my ignorance, but curious as to why these things happen.

Spirit: I shall go looking for what you say, just where they are will be a needle in a haystack for me, but i will lean some more about computing!

Graham
Old 10 November 2006, 09:44 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Yes, norton will scan every file that passes through your computer - that's the point of anti virus. If its Norton Internet Security, it will do other stuff too (such as block scripts and portscans etc).

As a note, you should allow norton to auto-update on a daily basis, otherwise its pointless having it installed (out of date anti-virus won't catch new viruses).

Norton, like other AV programs is resource hungry, and it can slow down your computer. Especially if its got limited memory/ processor speed. (Usually due to running loads of junk...look at the tool bar, bottom right, the more stuff down there, the slower your computer gets, as it has less free memory to work with).

Other issues could be your ISP, or DNS server being slow to respond, but generally you'll notice that one day it'll be slow, and another day it'll be quick.

A quick and easy general check for your connection speed is to google, download and run "Dan Elwells Broadband Speed Test" (free) which should run some basic tests and tell you if your internet connection is up to scratch. You can try disabling norton and see if it makes a difference to the results

Another program to run is "CCleaner" (again free) which is handy for removing built up crap off your computer.

One thing I shuld finally add is make sure you have some anti-spyware software, as any spyware will slow down your net connection no end. Have a look in this post: bbs.scoobynet.com/6054582-post29.html

Last edited by Shark Man; 10 November 2006 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10 November 2006, 04:20 PM
Scooby Regular

You should teach this stuff!

I have 8 icons in the bottom right corner, all seem to be needed (I think).
I have looked at the Norton data on the pc (full Norton protection was installed about 8 weeks ago professionally)

There is no 'auto-update' I can find, but there is the ability to tell it to find all software updates which was the action I took last night that has made a big +ve change in speed.
I think I need to get into the habit of asking it to update every day in this manner at least.

I will try the other ideas too, but I have to admit to being nervous to put other things on this 4 year old pc...don't have much faith in pc's.

Thankyou very much for your help, much appreciated.

Graham