Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

How do I transfer Itunes from from desktop to new laptop?

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2006, 09:02 AM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I transfer Itunes from from desktop to new laptop?

Can't seem to do this

Itunes is currently on my office desktop, I have it saved to my base station rather than the server. Is it as simple as me copy and pasting itunes to my server, then plugging data cable into laptop and doing the reverse from the server to my laptop.

Have tried the above and didn't seem to get it right. Am I copying the right files or is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks

chop
Old 26 October 2006, 09:13 AM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

I used an external USB drive. Find your folder containing all your music - usually called iTunes Music and drag it to its new location.

Then on new laptop click on add folder to library and browse to iTunes Music folder you just saved.

Tip: Rename folder eg iTunes Music 2 before importing onto new laptop

HTH

T
Old 26 October 2006, 09:25 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

i've just done this.

if you've purchased any music, you'll need to authorise your music on the new machine. just play a purchased track and it will prompt you. you obviously need to be connected to the net and remember your itunes password.

i've come to the conclusion ipods are crap after the whole noddy process of trying to upload music to one.

i guess i expect everything to be as easy as a 4gb usb2 stick
Old 26 October 2006, 12:18 PM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tonybooth
I used an external USB drive. Find your folder containing all your music - usually called iTunes Music and drag it to its new location.

Then on new laptop click on add folder to library and browse to iTunes Music folder you just saved.

Tip: Rename folder eg iTunes Music 2 before importing onto new laptop

HTH

T
I know where the folder is whe nyou say drag it to its new location I don't quite understand what you mean?

Are you saying drag it to the external USB, then plug usb into new laptop and drag to relevent location ie my documents->my music->ipod file ?

Will I need to load Itunes to my new laptop before doing any of the above? Thanks.

This seems far more complicated than it should be

chop
Old 26 October 2006, 12:55 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

First thing I would do would be to install iTunes on the "new" computer.

Then on the "old" computer, locate the folder that contains all the Music. I'm guessing that you have iTunes configred so it puts all the music into a single folder, this is the default. In which case, all you would need to do is copy that folder into the same location on the "new" computer (which does not currently have anything in the iTunes music folder). As it's replacing the existing folder iTunes should see it. If it does not then you can tell it where the Music folder is and it'll see it.
Old 26 October 2006, 05:19 PM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
First thing I would do would be to install iTunes on the "new" computer.

Then on the "old" computer, locate the folder that contains all the Music. I'm guessing that you have iTunes configred so it puts all the music into a single folder, this is the default. In which case, all you would need to do is copy that folder into the same location on the "new" computer (which does not currently have anything in the iTunes music folder). As it's replacing the existing folder iTunes should see it. If it does not then you can tell it where the Music folder is and it'll see it.
Top man

What do you think of my idea of copy and pasting to my server then plugging data cable into my laptop. It would save me buying a USB storage device.

Thanks for advice

chop
Old 26 October 2006, 05:44 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

That idea will work, you're just copying a folder so it should not matter where the source and target are, providing they can see each other.