Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

POP3 email with spam filter

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2006, 01:35 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry POP3 email with spam filter

Over the last few weeks I've started getting a lot more spam (about 100 a day now), and I'm sick of it. My ISP (Nildram) is filtering out about as much again, but I think that's a pretty poor success rate.

So, can anyone please recommend me an alternative provider of a POP3 mailbox, preferably with a web based interface too, which has better spam filtering?

Or, is there a service that'll scan incoming mail for spam and forward real email on to a different address? (I have my own domain, so I can forward anything@mydomain to anywhere I like).
Old 23 October 2006, 02:12 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Have a look here:

spamjab.com: Protecting families from Spam

Recently signed up for it, and free at the moment.

Works exactly as you have described, all mail goes through their servers and traps all the spam. You can look at the spam and unblock anything thats ok, so it will not be blocked next time. Lets all good mail through to your home email client.

I have recently had masses of **** spam (up to 50 a day, guessing some nice person has signed my email address up for it), so went for this and its top.
Old 23 October 2006, 07:38 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

One thing I've known a few people to do is to forward mail from their domain to a gmail account, then configure gmail to allow pop forwarding of mail, and finally configure your mail application to get the mail from the gmail account. If you set the "reply to" address to your normal @mydomain account then, in theory people you send/receive mail from should not see any difference.

Generally the gmail spam filtering is pretty good. I don't think I've seen any junk mail from Gmail for quite some time, if at all. I have had it pick up the odd message as spam when it's not, but that has been very very rare.

I also run SpamSieve (I'm using Apple's Mail application on Mac OS X 10.4.8) as Apple's junk mail filter is ok, but not perfect and SS is quite a bit better.