Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

HELP!!! VERY POOR DISPLAY

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2006, 12:17 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! VERY POOR DISPLAY

I have phoned Dell regarding this twice and it has NOT solved the problem.

Here is the problem: I think the photos say it all.

My PC is a Dell Dimension 8300 with an 128mb ATi Radoen 9800 Pro graphics card hooked up to a 18" Ultrasharp Dell TFT.

Yesterday, Dell told me to do lots of things to try and sort the problem out, then the guy said open the tower and remove the power cable from the gfx card, then remove the card its self, then reconnect the power cable to the card, then slot the car back into the mother board. That seem to have sixed it 'temporally'.

Also They asked me to formatt my PC and re install Windows XP, which I have done and installed all the drivers and SP2, so it is all upto date.

Also I have tried different monitors, cables and I get the same thing, poor display.

What do you think it could be.

My Dell hardware warranty runs out on the 24th October, so if it is hardware, I want it to be fixed under the warranty.

I am going to re phone them up today, but before I want one PC technical person to tell me what the proble could be, that the Dell technical staff can't fix by telling me over the phone.

Thanks

Darren
Old 20 October 2006, 12:29 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Looks like a broken gfx card to me. I've seen a few go like that over the years, (usually it's the ram on the card). No amount of re-installs / driver updates will fix that.
Old 20 October 2006, 12:39 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Thanks Iain. Thats what I have been thinking the whole time, but dell being dell, won't except the fact that it might actually be US.
Old 20 October 2006, 01:12 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Get arsey!! State how long the call has been open, the fact that you have reinstalled Windows and drivers proves it is not software, you have tried another monitor so it's not that.

You have to push problems like this or you will never get anywhere.

Unless you get Gold support (which costs extra) you 9 times out of 10, you will get a script reader with limited tech knowledge.

Darren
Old 20 October 2006, 01:16 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

I have tried another monitor (not DVi connection) and I still get the same problem.

Im gonna phone them now.
Old 20 October 2006, 01:20 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Give'm hell

Darren
Old 20 October 2006, 01:48 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Just got of the phone to them and they are going to send me out a new ATi radoen 9800 Pro graphics card monday

After speaking to the technician, she said I had to speak to the manager (things are looking up) and she said that she was sorry for the number of times I have had to call Dell to fix this problem (3 times in all!!!). Then she asked me what I thought of there service/technicians. The first two times I phoned neither of them new what I was going on about and was going around in circles, but the tech support person I just phoned new a little more as I explined the suituation clearing and angraily and she could understand my frustration.
Also they are going to send me an e-servey which they want me to fill out ands also another email when I have received the gfx card to see if I am ok with it and have installed it ok. If not and I am having problems, they are going to phone me, rather than I phone them. Result!
Old 20 October 2006, 02:05 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Just to be on the safe side, whe you get your new graphics card Id run it for a couple of days before letting them know everything is fine as you fixed your old one temporally (is that right? always spell that word wrong) so its a slight possibilty theres something wrong on the motherboard, I doubt it but Id just hold back a bit before saying its all working fine
Old 20 October 2006, 02:20 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SC008Y_MAD
Just got of the phone to them and they are going to send me out a new ATi radoen 9800 Pro graphics card monday

After speaking to the technician, she said I had to speak to the manager (things are looking up) and she said that she was sorry for the number of times I have had to call Dell to fix this problem (3 times in all!!!). Then she asked me what I thought of there service/technicians. The first two times I phoned neither of them new what I was going on about and was going around in circles, but the tech support person I just phoned new a little more as I explined the suituation clearing and angraily and she could understand my frustration.
Also they are going to send me an e-servey which they want me to fill out ands also another email when I have received the gfx card to see if I am ok with it and have installed it ok. If not and I am having problems, they are going to phone me, rather than I phone them. Result!

and you thought our sarky comments about dell support were all made up
Old 20 October 2006, 02:22 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

The display did fix its self for a short while then this morning was fine till about mid to late morning then it when like the pictures I posted above.
Old 20 October 2006, 02:38 PM
Mogsi
Scooby Regular

I can't believe they made you format your HDD
Old 20 October 2006, 03:29 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Foreign call center I guess. You pay peanuts, you get monkeys...
Old 20 October 2006, 07:47 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

I think I am glad they asked me even tho it is a laborious (sp?) job to do.
Originally Posted by Mogsi
I can't believe they made you format your HDD
Old 20 October 2006, 08:07 PM
D16GER
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, you said it 'fixed itself' this morning. It is possible that the fan on the graphics card has failed/is failing, causing it to severely overheat. Also, the fan may have come loose from the card.

If I were you, I would open the case and take a look. You just never know. Also, if the card supports temp monitoring, you could see what the temps are like.
Old 20 October 2006, 08:57 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by D16GER
...It is possible that the fan on the graphics card has failed/is failing, causing it to severely overheat. Also, the fan may have come loose from the card.....
Does look like an overheating issue; check the fan and temp (if possible) etc. as described above; it may be a simple fix so you could get £10 or so flogging the card on eBay.
Old 21 October 2006, 11:12 AM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

I have opened the case with the PC still on abd the fan on the gfx card was still working.
Old 23 October 2006, 10:55 AM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

My 'Refurbished' graphics card turned up this morning @ 07:10 am and my dad opened the door (as he was up getting ready for work) and he said that must me from Dell, so I sign for anything. The courier guy said where is the old one, come again, its an exchange. This I did not know anything about otherwise I would have got the gfx card ready.

I get woken up to remove the gfx card from the PC and give to the man and he gives me the refurbished one. Then I sign for it and off he goes.

Why do I get a refurbihsed one and not a new one???

--------

Im gonna switch the other PC on in a short while, so fingers crossed....
Old 23 October 2006, 12:05 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

That's common practice I'm afraid. It's not just Dell that do it. I've seen Apple do it, Mesh, Alienware etc. I'm on my 4th xbox 360, and each replacement they've sent me has been a refurbished one rather than a new one. It's all to do with economics...
Old 23 October 2006, 01:34 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Well *touch wood*, all is working fine