Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PSP any good

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2006, 07:18 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSP any good

Now that the ps3 has been delayed, wifey want to get ideas for me for chrimbo,

ive toyed with the idea of a ps3, but dont know?

anyone here got one, and can give me an unbiased review?

i see they hype the DVD quality movies, which they arnt!! dvd quality has 5.1 sound psp gets 2.0 only so thats a bit of a downer.

any orther good or bad bits

Mart
Old 22 October 2006, 07:33 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I found mine boring tbh, sat in the drawer now for nearly 2 years. Nintendo DS is a lot more fun.
Old 22 October 2006, 07:42 PM
Scooby Roo
Scooby Regular

I thought they were really good till mine got nicked out of my bag.

I commute to the smoke so sit on the train for 2 hours a day. Great for wyling away the hours. I had a 2gb memory card [£36 from fleabay] and got movies, msic and games onto that.

Never used the DS but alot of people say it's more fun.

Roo
Old 23 October 2006, 12:02 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

I currently own 2. One on the 1.5 Firmware whilst the other is on 2.71. The games are great for it. Although some games like Star Wars Lego II can be a bit fiddly on a smaller screen.
The Web side is quite good. Although some websites, like this one can be a bit taxing for it's small Memory.
Old 23 October 2006, 12:38 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Love mine, playing Crazy Golf at the moment. So adictive!
Old 23 October 2006, 12:53 PM
kaa273
Scooby Regular

A disappointment and not enough games
Old 23 October 2006, 02:30 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

It's a great machine (technically much better than the DS), but it hasn't got a vast selection of games. Having said that, there are one or two really good ones though. I wouldn't be without mine

p.s. everyone says what a good selection of games the DS has, but that's only if you like cute Nintendo stuff. I sold mine because I couldn't find anything I wanted to play on it. I guess it depends on personal taste at the end of the day
Old 23 October 2006, 03:00 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
It's a great machine (technically much better than the DS), but it hasn't got a vast selection of games. Having said that, there are one or two really good ones though. I wouldn't be without mine

p.s. everyone says what a good selection of games the DS has, but that's only if you like cute Nintendo stuff. I sold mine because I couldn't find anything I wanted to play on it. I guess it depends on personal taste at the end of the day
Yes, the PSP is way better technically but there are no "killer" apps for it. by and large they are rehashed console games which may look good on a console but thenwhen you play on the PSP feel not as good (if you get my drift)

At least the DS is being innovative and designing the games with gamers in mind instead of rehashing franchises or movie titles.

Personally I would like to see at least the following on the PSP
-A decent FPS/Adventure along the lines of Half-Life/Prey/Deus Ex etc
-A decent driving game (other than the TOCA series) where is GT for the PSP
-What about something clever like Warcraft or Guild Wars - imagine being able to do offline missions/dungeons on the PSP, or being able to enter the worlds online through your PSP

The UMD's are flawed and too expensive (they should at least come with the DVD as well) and who can be bothered with converting and transferring movies unless you are a schoolkid with loads of time on your hands.
Old 23 October 2006, 03:20 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
Yes, the PSP is way better technically but there are no "killer" apps for it.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. There are some excellent games for it imo

by and large they are rehashed console games which may look good on a console but thenwhen you play on the PSP feel not as good (if you get my drift)
True there are some nasty rehashed console games on there. But there are some good ones as well. Same as with any platform.

At least the DS is being innovative and designing the games with gamers in mind instead of rehashing franchises or movie titles.
Just because they are being 'innovative' doesn't mean that the games are any good. Personally, I don't think they are that innovative or desireable. They're either gimicky or clones of everything we've seen before from Nintendo. Even their latest console (the wii) seems to only have gimicky games with the motion sensing controller, retro games (pay money again for all your old games), or multi-platform franchises. Where's the innovation in that?

The UMD's are flawed and too expensive (they should at least come with the DVD as well) and who can be bothered with converting and transferring movies unless you are a schoolkid with loads of time on your hands.
True. It's not an ideal medium. However I'm not sure what you mean by flawed? It's naff format for video, but then again, I've never watched a video on my psp. I don't see the point.