Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Apple iMAC

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2006, 10:22 AM
Buster-WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apple iMAC

Anyone had experience with the new intel Macs?

I am a longterm PC user but am thinking of switching.

The ideall set up is the new 24" with 2gb Ram and 250 gb drive.
Can anyone offer any input on performance or wether I should just buy a better PC?

Any advise appreciated before I take the plunge......
Old 25 September 2006, 11:18 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Go for it, I have the 20" and it's been a revelation, in 6 months+ I've added perhaps one or two applications, less 3rd party applications = less hassle. The option to run XP is there should I want it, but there's been no need.
Old 25 September 2006, 11:27 AM
Buster-WRX
Scooby Regular

As I suspected not many negatives at all

Looks like its time to melt some plastic
Old 25 September 2006, 11:41 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Depends what you want to use it for though - there are still some PC-native things (such as good games!), but most other stuff is cross-platform.

The "mail" package on OS X is rubbish, but I tend to use Entourage (part of the Office package), and Firefox as a web-browser (although I'm typing this through Safari)

I use The Missing Sync to sync my PDA to the Mac too.....

But I've still got a PC hidden behind my desk as an althernative machine....

Look into what you're going to use it for first.....

Dan
Old 25 September 2006, 12:16 PM
Buster-WRX
Scooby Regular

I think for what I need...

Photos, Itunes and video it should be ideal.

I have a work laptop that can be used for the mundane (word,exel,ppt etc etc)

I want it mainly for the multi media for which it should be ideal....
Old 25 September 2006, 12:59 PM
stormyuklondon1
Scooby Regular

ive got a 20" intel imac, fantastic computer! itune and iphoto are soo easy to use, xp runs like its got a rocket up its ****, and i think it looks great sitting on my desk

Old 25 September 2006, 01:04 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Buster-WRX
Anyone had experience with the new intel Macs?

I am a longterm PC user but am thinking of switching.

The ideall set up is the new 24" with 2gb Ram and 250 gb drive.
Can anyone offer any input on performance or wether I should just buy a better PC?

Any advise appreciated before I take the plunge......

I'm writing this message on my 17" Intel iMac with 1.5GB RAM. It's pretty quick, but I'm not exactly pushing it too much.

I had a look at the 24" iMacs on Saturday and have to say they do look very nice indeed.

As the new intel machines can run Boot Camp (Apple's dual boot solution, it is still in beta thought) you can dual boot OS X and XP at the same time, so you can run PC only software at fulll speed. If you want to run PC software side-by-side OS X then there are a couple of options, Parallels Desktop for Macintosh is a Virtual PC like application, so you can run 98, 2000 (including server), XP and, experimentally, Vista, in a window. I use it for running MS servers, plus it'll also run linux as well. About the only thing I can't run with it is Novell Netware.

There's also CodeWeavers CrossOver product, which is in beta, and it uses the WINE system and it does not run the apps in a window, they run as though they were just a Mac app, I've played with the beta and it's pretty good, though for my needs, it's not what is wanted.

Downsides? Well, two of the big product packages, Adobe's Creative Suite and Microsoft's Office have not yet been rewritten to be Universal Binaries, Apple's talk for an app that will run on Intel and PowerPC architechures. This means they have to run via the Rosetta compatibility environment which means they will be slower than a native version. It's said that the finished versions will appear around late Quarter 1 2007. It's this reason why some people have not yet switched. If you're casually using the apps then it'll be ok, but if you were heavilly into photographic work then it might be a bit of a problem, but to be honest, you'd probably be looking at the more powerfull Mac Pro desktop machines.
I did read some benchmarks somewhere that said that Adobe Photoshop running via Rosetta on a Mac Pro (can't remember exact spec, but it was one of the quad core chappies) was as fast, if not a smidge faster than Photoshop running on the fastest PowerMac G5 tower.
Old 26 September 2006, 01:15 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Buster-WRX

Looks like its time to melt some plastic
Not quite got to that stage with my Macbook yet.

I use my Macbook more and more. I do admit e-mail and PDA Sync are Windows based for my usage. I'm starting to use it as my main machine. Dual-boot is a great feature. Mac OS X is pretty good anyway - and Windows runs faster than anyother machine I have.

When I come to upgrade my main PC I'll think it's 95% sure I'll get an Intel Mac
Old 26 September 2006, 03:23 PM
Buster-WRX
Scooby Regular

Well I did it and went out yester day and purchased the 24" iMAC..

All I can sy is WOW

I have never known a system so esy to set up and understand.
Within 20 mins I had transfered all Itunes, Photo and Video files and was on my way to some pretty exiting photo slideshows with music.

The MRS thought it was hilarious to see pictures of my stag night with country and western music beating along in the background

I even found time to plug in the electric guitar and have a go with garage band. In all my years of home recording multitrack based I never thought I would find somthing computer based to rival but I have

All I can say is that if anyone is thinking of buying one dont even hesitate i would highly reccomend based on the 4 hours use Ive had so far.

Just can wait to get home to try hooking up the camcorder iMovie which I am sure will be a doddle!!!
Old 26 September 2006, 04:42 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Another one in the Scoobynet Mac Fan Club

(and this one is jealous of 24" iMac!)
Old 26 September 2006, 04:46 PM
Freelance Badger
Scooby Regular

I've only got 20 inches (Intel iMac) but that's big enough for me!
Old 26 September 2006, 07:32 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Totally addicted here :-) imac (17" G4) in kitchen, writing this on MBP 15" 2Gb Ram and the 23" Cinema Screen + Dual G5 Powermac, with 4Gb Ram and ATI XT800 card is upstairs.
Have used them since 2001 and would NEVER, EVER go back to a PC. Everything, IMHO is easier and better.
ENJOY!
Old 26 September 2006, 10:19 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

ooops. Just trying isync on my Macbook.....and managed to delete all my Business numbers in my phone.