Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

OK< any of you lot use Novell on multiple platforms?

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2006, 11:24 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question OK< any of you lot use Novell on multiple platforms?

I can ask my IT manager, but he's a tad busy at the moment, and my question is really eating away at me!!

Scenario :-

College. Main platform is PC using Novell (inc Groupwise) as the basis.

My section uses Macs. I've got the Groupwise thing sorted.

My issue is this:-

Because we require accountability for each computer (even though we're heavily firewalled), at present, only the PCs utilise the Novell log on window.

Our Macs, even though they can be tracked via the DHCP IP assigned to it, that only allows us to track the machine - not the user.

Is my assumption on this correct?

If so, would I be correct in thinking that I need to put a Novell (client) package on each Mac, in order for the user to log on and be logged as using the machine?

Yes, this is usually at IT section's issue, but tbh, we are left to our own devices as we're purely Mac-based, and don't hassle the IT team
They give us the rules and what we need to do, and we do it

Is my thought process on this correct?

Dan
Old 22 August 2006, 01:00 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Dan,
Unlike the PC client, which can take over the XP logon window, I don't think the Mac client for netware does that, I know the Prosoft client does not, it's an app that is run after you login (there is a trial version of Prosoft's client, might be worth a play with, I've had a very limited time trying it). As for the official netware client for mac from Novell, have to be honest and say I've not used it, but from memory it didn't take over the login dialog, and you'd need to sign into NDS manually (though you might be able to automate that) so the user could just "forget" to do this.

What level of accountability do you want? That the user just logged in and out at a specific date and time? What apps they ran whilst logged in, how many prints they made? Do you wish to restrict what they are doing?
Old 22 August 2006, 01:23 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

What level of accountability do you want? That the user just logged in and out at a specific date and time? What apps they ran whilst logged in, how many prints they made? Do you wish to restrict what they are doing?
Pretty much that. Not too bothered about the apps side, as I can restrict that from the basic parental controls (assumption) or from ARD2......

We've got a print credit system too, so students have to pay for printing. Again, this is linked in with the Netware aspect.....

Any thoughts?

Dan
Old 22 August 2006, 02:04 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
Pretty much that. Not too bothered about the apps side, as I can restrict that from the basic parental controls (assumption) or from ARD2......

We've got a print credit system too, so students have to pay for printing. Again, this is linked in with the Netware aspect.....

Any thoughts?

Dan
I'd certainly try the netware clients and see if they will log the info you need. You're right about the app side of things, Workgroup Manager will take care of that.

Realistically I should probabby be trying to sell you MacAdministrator as it would log all logins and logouts on the mac, allow you to control apps and such like, monitor printing (there is a print billing system, but it does not interagte into the netware system), could be a bit overkill for what you're looking for though. However, I'm not a sales chap, I'm a tech chap, so I'll just tell you what it does
Old 22 August 2006, 03:02 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Dan,
Seems I may have been wrong about the Prosoft client. Seems that it does take over the login dialog and so that could well monitor the login/logouts. Think they do a 30 day free eval version, so it'd be worth a look. However, at the end of the day I'd cost to use it and I think the prices are a little on the high side.