Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

no more gmail.com? it's googlemail.com now?

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2006, 06:38 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no more gmail.com? it's googlemail.com now?

tried to get another gmail account but now it's username@googlemail.com and not username@gmail.com!

is there a way to get the @gmail.com still?
Old 21 August 2006, 06:45 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I think they changed it a while back.
Although strangely enough, when logging in I can use @gmail.com even though when I signed up for my latest account it was googlemail.com
Old 21 August 2006, 06:48 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Oh well, just tested it, even though my account is a googlemail.com, even if I send it to username@gmail.com it still gets delivered
Old 21 August 2006, 07:18 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was some copyright problem with gmail.com domains in the UK, so all new registrations (in the UK at least) are @googlemail.com but all those with @gmail.com addresses can still use them.
Old 21 August 2006, 09:25 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevencotton
There was some copyright problem with gmail.com domains in the UK, so all new registrations (in the UK at least) are @googlemail.com but all those with @gmail.com addresses can still use them.
I think the problem in the UK was with the scouse accent it actually sounded like they were saying she-male hence they changed it to googlemail
Old 22 August 2006, 04:46 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb gmail as spam

Perhaps they're trying to get round this...

If you haven't seen it yet, WebmasterWorld has a thread named My email automatically rejected, which discusses how some ISPs are blocking emails from gmail addresses.
The emails are being blocked because of all the privacy issues surrounding the GMail service.

One of my favorite quotes in this thread is:
And please don't make the "it's the same as running a spam filter" argument. Filtering spam doesn't put an ad for a competitor on content I created.
However, I am of the type that only uses Webmail for junk mail. My real email is owned, powered and hosted by myself. I have junk accounts with Yahoo, hotmail and others - Yahoo being my primary. So in my mind, its no big deal at all to have these emails read by Google's Ad servers. However, there are thousands of people who use free, Web based email services for their real email accounts. I can see the problems with that.
ISPs have the power to block Gmail, so some are. Join the discussion at WebmasterWorld.

Mick