Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Dell, no monitor?

Search this Thread

Old 07 August 2006, 09:16 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dell, no monitor?

Hi

Is there an option to not buy a monitor from Dell when buying a new PC? Actually all we're interested in is the tower, we have a monitor, keyboard and mouse that we're happy with.

I've tried ringing but they're shut

Cheers!
Old 07 August 2006, 10:39 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Be very wary - their customer service if anythinggoes wrong is SHOCKING

Not slander, but the truth - I'm pursuing an issue with them now.....

I always thought they were pretty good, but no more

But FWIW, I'm pretty sure you can spec the machine without the monitor (most are)

Dan
Old 07 August 2006, 11:00 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Normally CS (Customer Service) can knock the price of the monitor off your order but beware they won't take the 'retail' price of the monitor off.Which model desktop are you after as I saw an evalue code last week for a 5150 without a monitor?

Nick
Old 07 August 2006, 11:01 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Oh,and post up the spec of the machine and the price... (And the evalue code from it too)
Old 08 August 2006, 07:47 AM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

Originally Posted by BOB.T
Hi

Is there an option to not buy a monitor from Dell when buying a new PC? Actually all we're interested in is the tower, we have a monitor, keyboard and mouse that we're happy with.

I've tried ringing but they're shut

Cheers!
Yes you can buy without the monitor , but as said above they will only reduce the price by about £50 and not the retail price of the monitor

Dave
Old 08 August 2006, 10:07 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Go to CCL Computers in Bradford, buy the bits you need and build yourself a super big PC from them

http://www.cclcomputers.co.uk/
Old 08 August 2006, 08:34 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Hi

We don't really have a model in mind tbh. Our pooter at home has died so we were trying to weigh up buying summat off the shelf v building summat ourselves saving what we can from the existing pooter, we have a good monitor already so won't be needing a new one.

A quick reckon up from ebuyer; motherboard, 3.2 dual thingy, a gig of stuff and a 300 gig doofer, all SATA with XP home for about 350 quid. What do you think?

Anyhoo, it's all on hold for a week cos we're off to Germany to see the WRC! I'll be taking loads of pics and not looking at them till we have a new poooter!
Old 09 August 2006, 08:39 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Buy it with the monitor then sell the monitor and make some cash!
Old 09 August 2006, 10:42 AM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Right,what about a Dimension 5150 without monitor? (5150 has PCI Express slots so you can put a decent graphics card in if you wanted it for games so it does offer some upgradeability unlike say a Dimension 3150)
TBh,It's not the best specced machine but 'ok' for the £353 delivered (I've seen better deals than this anyway so merely using it as an example)

D805 dual core cpu (2.66ghz)
Windows XP Pro SP2 (Normally they only offer XP Home edition so Pro is a bonus)
512mb ram (This was 1gb ram last week but you can always upgrade the memory via somewhere like Crucial)
250gb sata hard drive
16x dvdrw drive
1 year collect and return warranty

Bare in mind when building your own PC that you'll need to factor in a licence for Windows (Alright you can use a hooky copy but then you'll need a valid serial number for windows update - Oh,and just in case anybody tries to pick fault with this little bit, I know all about ways of how to get round WGA tool etc etc so save your keyboard strokes! )

As mentioned above,it may also be worthwhile buying a system with a monitor and selling the monitor on as you'll get more for the monitor than what Dell will knock off the price anyway.

Another little tip, register with www.quidco.com and if you access Dells website through their link on their webpage (Assuming you place your order online) you will get 7% cashback from them (Off the ex vat price normally)
It takes about 2-3 months for the money to come through but worth it for an extra couple of mouse clicks.I've made over £300 when ordering various bits n bobs off the web as you'll be surprised at how many companies are affiliated with them (For instance,when I took out AA breakdown cover I got £20 cashback from Quidco and get 7% cashback when ordering memory from Crucial)

Good luck
Old 10 August 2006, 12:05 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

If your dead machine had Win XP CD and licence could you not re-use this rather than buy it again..? (if you're building your own...)
Old 10 August 2006, 12:28 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Depends which version.

If it was an OEM supplied install its likely all you'll have is a recovery disc (not a "true" windows install). Techincally you shouldn't re-use this.

If you actually have the XP disc with its nice lovely holograms and serial number and stickers etcs, yes, you can reuse that leagally, providing your old computer is never used again.

If you re-installed XP within the last 6months, the on-line verification might throw a hissy fit.