Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Driver install problems ??

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2006, 11:14 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver install problems ??

Anyone help me out with the following problem -

looking to assign a new driver on my pc to alow me to run my sony psp from my w98 pc, have downloaded the driver but still failing to get the pc to recognise the psp when it is connected.

have been advised that there are probably rogue non working drivers assigned to the usb mass storage device already and this is the problem, to be fair I have been downloading one or two off these drivers lately without deleting them after they failed to work.

so the question is- how exactly do I get rid off all the drivers already installed for the usb mass storage device so that I can start all over again ?? cant see anything that relates to this mass storage device within device manager ??

any help appreciatted just a little out my depth if anyone can point me in the right direction off exactly what to get rid off to allow me to get this new driver installed and running my psp.

anyone ???
Old 15 July 2006, 09:14 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Anyone ??
Old 15 July 2006, 09:57 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Just a thought, is it Win98Se? Do you have other USB devices that work?

IIRC there was an issue regarding the OS with the USB protocol (I didn't work!! )

However, if you right click my computer, you can get into the device manager.
You'll find the USB mass storage stuff under the USB hub. IIRC, you can either disable or uninstall from there......

Hope this helps

DAn
Old 15 July 2006, 11:03 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=ScoobyDoo555]Just a thought, is it Win98Se? Do you have other USB devices that work?

IIRC there was an issue regarding the OS with the USB protocol (I didn't work!! )

However, if you right click my computer, you can get into the device manager.
You'll find the USB mass storage stuff under the USB hub. IIRC, you can either disable or uninstall from there......

Hope this helps

Hi dan first off all thanks for taking the time to reply to my plea for help !!!

okay the w98 systmn is w98 2nd edition .

right okay please bear with me if you dont mind?!! have gone into " my computer " and then device manager where I get a drop down list from " computer, cd rom down to usb controllers. if I click on this very bottom one "usb contollers " I get this usb root hub that you referred to, if I click on this I get usb root hub properties but just dont see where I will find this " usb mass storage device " that I need to get into - help ????

regards other usb devices- yes I my broadband modem, digi camera, etc all work okay using the usb port, just a thought ?? if I go starting to delete certain drivers within this " mass storage device " is there a chance these above devices ( modem, digi cam etc ) will fail to work, or is this nothing to do with these devices ??

as I say / as you will notice ??!! total beginner in this side off things mate so again any advice is very much appreciatted.

thanks again,
john
Old 15 July 2006, 12:41 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

mate - get a proper OS - you can buy xp for £60 on ebay - just do it
Old 15 July 2006, 07:08 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Have you tried going on the Windows update site? There maybe a patch for you're USB.
Old 15 July 2006, 07:27 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

As I say guys I know this driver works okay for the very purpose I need it for ( sony psp ) but just need to gain access to my mass storage device if anyone can enlighten me exactly how to do this as per thread above ??!!!

p.s already have a pc operating with xp, this is just a back up pc which happens to be running w98 for which I want to be able to hook the psp up to.

anyone able to advise ??
Old 15 July 2006, 10:15 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Mass Storage Device implies that you have something in terms of a Hard Drive or Memory card attached. In other words when you connect you're PSP to the PC via USB, this is classed as a 'Mass Storage' Device due to the Memory card in the PSP. So you won't see the Mass Storage device listed in the Device Manager un-less you have the PSP connected up to start with. So it is definately down to the driver needed to get the PSP to be seen in Win98.

Doing a quick google search has found this:

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/my_wind...onnection.html
Old 16 July 2006, 07:28 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Great stuff mate, apreciatte the link.

cheers,
john