Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

BT Yahoo BB Wireless Woes!!

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2006, 10:57 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question BT Yahoo BB Wireless Woes!!

OK Hopefully somebody can shed some light on this one for me......

I was originally running on BTYBB 2MB with a BT Voyager 2110 Wireless Router and a BT Voyager 1055 Wireless USB Adaptor which all worked fine on channel 11 with zero loss of signal and so on.

So anyway muppet boy here decides to upgrade to 8MB and as my company pays for me to be on option 4 I got the BB Talk thrown in for free And this is where things have gone Pete Bl00dy Tong!

To utilise the BB Talk I had to change my wireless router to a BT Voyager 2500V - oh what a mistake this is turning out to be! I set it all up through the ethernet and everything works just lovely

I then try and setup and run through my wireless adaptor and nope, doesn't want to know! Now I've tried everything.... been through every single channel / reset back to basics / removed everything and then tried again but until last night I couldn't do anything. I've been getting inconsistent pings from the router so it may (1) ping (2) ping (3) request timed out (4) ping or any variation of 1,2,3,4 and sometimes all (3)!!!

Last night I set it all up again but this time removed the wireless security and hey presto it works I re-checked by re-applying the 128 bit WEP key and it reverted to not working. I then tried it with just 64-bit encryption and it still doesn't work so I can only assume that the overhead of the encryption is causing a problem somewhere?

So this leads me to a few of thoughts...

1) BT Have sent me a duff 2500V router?

or

2) I'm missing a setting somewhere?

or

3) the 1055 usb adaptor is not compatible with the 2500V (both the 2110 and the 1055 have the "Turbo 11g %30 faster" b0ll0cks feature which amounts to nowt!!

Help!!!!!

Andy
Old 07 June 2006, 12:34 PM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

errr I take it you DID change your pc/laptop wireless profile, to reflect the WEP key settings ???
Old 07 June 2006, 12:55 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, half the probles I see are from firewalls, i.e. you think you have turned it off and the windows one is still blocking ports in the background, so first thing I do with a problem is unplug the phone line and switch off the firewalls, checking for the windows one, not directly applicable perhaps but a good pointer.
Old 07 June 2006, 01:06 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Foot_Tapper
errr I take it you DID change your pc/laptop wireless profile, to reflect the WEP key settings ???
yeah
Old 07 June 2006, 01:10 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Also, half the probles I see are from firewalls, i.e. you think you have turned it off and the windows one is still blocking ports in the background, so first thing I do with a problem is unplug the phone line and switch off the firewalls, checking for the windows one, not directly applicable perhaps but a good pointer.
Phone line wasn't plugged in and also the phones were switched off in case they may have been causing interference.

Must admit I haven't tried disabling the firewalls as I assumed that all necessary ports were open for communication due to me having used to wireless in the 2110 and 1055 setup. I'll try that tonight but I'd be very surprised if that was what's causing the problem

EDITED TO ADD: If any ports were being blocked by a firewall then I wouldn't get any ping at all would I?
Old 07 June 2006, 07:15 PM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

I have had exactly the same problem I reverted back to my 2100 and it was never the same so I went out and bought a netgear adsl router and card and its now fine
Old 08 June 2006, 12:51 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sammyh
I have had exactly the same problem I reverted back to my 2100 and it was never the same so I went out and bought a netgear adsl router and card and its now fine
well I don't particularly want to spend more cash but if it'll make it work then oh well

Tried the disabling of the firewall last night and made **** all difference Think I'll give BT a ring and tell some foreign person that their equipment is ****e in the hope that the person on the other end understands what I'm saying

Trending Topics

Old 08 June 2006, 07:59 PM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by T4molie
Tried the disabling of the firewall last night and made **** all difference Think I'll give BT a ring and tell some foreign person that their equipment is ****e in the hope that the person on the other end understands what I'm saying
Best of luck to you on that one, I failed

When I say its fine I do lose connection on a regular basis and downloads are poor bt have been checking the line for 3 days and not got back to me yet
Old 08 June 2006, 10:54 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i am smack bang in the middle of the bloody maxdsl upgrade and i am sick

i plan to just leave everything alone for a week or so and see what happens.....
Old 09 June 2006, 12:08 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Any firmware upgrades available? Maybe a bug in the current firmware.
Old 09 June 2006, 10:16 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Best of luck to you on that one, I failed
Your joking aren't you?

I can but only at my attempts last night..... the only thing that stopped me from throwing my phone out of the study window was the fact that I only bought it last week

Got in from work circa 7:45pm as usual.......the next 45 mins goes like this....

1) Got BT Voyager number which takes you thro to a multiple message system and after several tries going down different routes I get another number bu no human being that's not computerised!! 10 mins wasted Mild

2) Ring next number which then spends the next 10 mins approx giving me a complete breakdown of the status of BB in the entire world and also the size of the pants the ugly bird that lives next door to me - which are apparently massive, but I do get given ANOTHER number to ring for "technical queries" Getting

3) Dunt dunt darrrrr I get thro to a human who unfortunately sounds Indian and speaks quite broken english ... but hey it's a human being, somebody I can converse with right? Wrong! After several attemtps at explaining everything to him and also several brief quiet periods of him "speaking to his superior" he then says that I've come thro to the "BT BB technical helpline and that they don't deal with techincal queries for hardware" He gives me a number to ring for the "BT Voyager Technical Helpline" and that the hours are from 9am - 9pm. "Thanks you've been a great help at wasting a good portion of what little evening I have but thanks for the number anyway"

No...wait...it can't be? Yep it's the same friggin number that I rang in (1)

Time now..... 8:30pm approx......

4) So here we are again.... back at (1) about to go thro the menu system but this time it sounds different.... yep, it now says "The BT Voyager Helpdesk is now closed please call back within the hours of....."

"AAAAAARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH FUUUURRRRKKKKKKKKK!!!!!"

5) Plugged in ethernet cable into oh so ****e BTV 2500V, went to Domino's Pizza Website and ordered a large Texan BBQ, Chicken combo and various dips for me and the missus... and then proceded to crack open a can of Carlings finest ....... and began to watch BB.... ended up having to turn that off before I launched the TV out of the lounge window

Anybody wanna buy a BTV 2500V, 1 careful owner, no scratches, low mileage......?

Andy
Old 09 June 2006, 01:21 PM
Leg@cy
Scooby Regular

Told you so !!