Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

How to boost wirelss router signal?

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2006, 08:15 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to boost wirelss router signal?

Right, following on from the thread about the xbox not looking great on a Dell flat panel monitor, have invested in an Apple Airport Express to both use to connect the xbox elsewhere and to stream music round the house.

Aside from being a PITA to set up, the Express is working well and sounds good with a TOSLINK cable.

The problem is the range is average - the main internet connection is a BT Voyager 2091 wireless modem/router. The Airport can't pick it up at the other end of the house.

Is there any way to boost the signal or use some kind of repeater? Would that mean unacceptable lag/latency for Xbox Live games?

Gordo
Old 02 June 2006, 09:01 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

change the BT router/modem to the Belkin PRE-N equivalent for about £80 it will treble the range and signal strength and is a better piece of kit too with better security and reliability.
Old 02 June 2006, 09:37 AM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

Personally, I wouldnt touch Belkin with a bargepole!

I use D-Link stuff at home (the router is fine, but the USB token is shockingly ****e!)

At work, we have an ethernet connection to SDSL, but use a Netgear Pro-safe Wireless access point (along with WG311T PCI cards), and they are awesome! NEVER had a disconnetion, and the range is awesome (a Dell Axim could connect from inside the local pub which is 200-300 yards away)!
Old 02 June 2006, 10:22 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

silly question - is it easy to re-program a new router when I swap them over?

I'm a bit of a spacker when it comes to setting up wireless kit.....
Old 02 June 2006, 12:56 PM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dynamix
change the BT router/modem to the Belkin PRE-N equivalent for about £80 it will treble the range and signal strength and is a better piece of kit too with better security and reliability.
Will only treble range when you have MIMO at both ends - i.e. router and wireless adapter
Old 02 June 2006, 01:00 PM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gordo
Is there any way to boost the signal or use some kind of repeater? Would that mean unacceptable lag/latency for Xbox Live games?

Gordo
The Hawking Technology HWUR54G Range Extender should work fine in reboosting your routers wireless range.

latency/packet loss is down to the qaulity of the wireless signal. As your aiming to improve the signal, adding the hawking should not add any noticable overhead if the signal is good.
Old 02 June 2006, 01:03 PM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

silly question - is it easy to re-program a new router when I swap them over?

I'm a bit of a spacker when it comes to setting up wireless kit.....
Routers are getting easier to configure. Most come with simple setup wizards to assist in the inital basic configuration. You will need to understand the basics of wireless to configure the advanced features such as wireless security.

Trending Topics

Old 02 June 2006, 01:35 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerV2
Will only treble range when you have MIMO at both ends - i.e. router and wireless adapter
no it doesnt - range is increased even without mimo on receiving end.

i use mine for a powerbook and can now get a good signal at the bottom of the garden. previously couldnt get a signal in my kitchen, let alone outside.

i am sure it would be even better with mimo at both ends though but the guy has an airport express at one end already and suspect he doesnt want to get rid of that already
Old 02 June 2006, 02:47 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Haha, don't really want to get rid of the aiport express for a MIMO (?), whatever one of those is?

I'm confused now, do I go for an extender or a new router? presumably a new router would be easier to set up (mixed reviews on how easy the Hawking thing is to configure)

Gordo

Last edited by Gordo; 02 June 2006 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02 June 2006, 06:19 PM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dynamix
no it doesnt - range is increased even without mimo on receiving end.

i use mine for a powerbook and can now get a good signal at the bottom of the garden. previously couldnt get a signal in my kitchen, let alone outside.

i am sure it would be even better with mimo at both ends though but the guy has an airport express at one end already and suspect he doesnt want to get rid of that already
Your correct in that standard 802.11g adapters will increase in most cases up to 20% - its more noticable on laptops though as you might not get a range increase in all directions.
Old 02 June 2006, 06:25 PM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

Haha, don't really want to get rid of the aiport express for a MIMO (?), whatever one of those is?

I'm confused now, do I go for an extender or a new router? presumably a new router would be easier to set up (mixed reviews on how easy the Hawking thing is to configure)

Gordo
Going for a newer, more powerful router is like taking a long shot. It might resolve your issue or it might not because the weak link could be the airport express.

The safest bet would be to use a range extender because this will boost the signal locally for the airport express.

If you want to talk to someone then my pre-sales guys will happily assist you. They aren't on commission so they will offer a non-biased view. I can't say whom Im from because I would be breaking the advertising rules on here. Just PM me and I will let you know my company website
Old 02 June 2006, 10:10 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We opened the door between my mates studio (v heavy door) and th rest of his house and that did the trick.
Old 03 June 2006, 09:44 AM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

As said before on another thread, Don't buy the older Netgear Mimo router, it's total garbage (doh ), maybe the newer Rangemax Next is better?